• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

would 357 be ok?

I know the abstracts state you can use pistols chambered in .38 "caliber" at night, but would a 357 still be ok considering it isn't bigger than the .38 caliber?

the mass hunting regs that control the caliber of what it's permissible to carry in the woods is quite specific - .38 max.

The power of the cartridge is irrelevant. Mass laws at work, agian. [rolleyes]

.357 is a smaller number than 38, you're good to go.

a fo-tay need not apply.... [laugh]

Relevant info: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_handguns.htm

note item 7 - LTC-ALP does not supercede this reg, accordign to the EPO at my latest Hunter Safety Course....

Last edited:
Now is a 9mm smaller than a .38? I did find it's .364 which would mean it is permissible. thoughts?

Yes a 9mm is smaller than a .38 caliber and guess what? a 38 special is also smaller than .38 caliber and the exact same caliber as .357.

Last edited:
Yea you got the basics of what I was asking just wanted to make sure because MA has such easy to follow uncomplex laws regarding things that are fun. My other question was going to be if you have an AR-15 pistol this too would be ok? I have had alot of coyotes around the place I just moved to and am thinking of doing some night hunts with a buddy.

Back
Top Bottom