Working For A Living In The Days Of CoronaV

I agree. But Uncle didn't track any of it. To do so was going to take a pile of infrastructure they weren't equipped to set up. It was simpler (and possibly cheaper) to send $600 to everyone every week until back to work or 7/31.

Life in the US will change radically a week from next Monday for sure.
Yup. All the folks that were "skared" of covid will suddenly have their fears lifted. 🤣

i sent a photo of my 7 year old grand neices lemonade stand that's been idle all year to country time and she's expecting her $100 stimulus check any time now. god bless america.
Where is said stand? Does she have a liquor license if someone was to want something a little stronger 😁

Company I work for is still chasing 6 workers that were legit laid off at the beginning of the shutdowns. Company has called them back to work and they claim they are "scared" of covid and refusing to come back.....but we all know better don't we......$600 a week on top of mass unemployment is a hell of a pay raise. The whole $600 a week was f***ing dumb. Should have been capped at no more than the employees current weekly pay.

We had a couple that got laid off in March for a month and a half.
Both of them have been back but have been total bitches about it.
Next lay off might be of the permanent kind.

Last edited:
We had a couple that got laid off in March for a month and a half.
Both have them came back but have been total bitches about it.
Next lay off might be of the permanent kind.
I had to lay off 2 people from my department at the beginning of this thing. Let's just say I did not chose the 2 based on "seniority" and leave it at that. Layoffs in a non union environment are a fantastic way to get rid of the low hanging fruit.

I both like and dislike working from home. I didn't have much of a commute to begin with but going to 0 is much nicer. What I find to be the hardest is there are no breaks in the day. Before you had to give people time to walk from meeting to meeting, and my facility is pretty big, so sometimes there was a 10 minute walk between meetings. Now it's just click the X, click "Join Meeting Online" and you're into the next meeting. Being On for what is typically a 10 hour day is exhausting. No walking, no chitchat, no "I'll be late I have to swing by the coffee machine and then hit the head", just work. The only times I can actually get real work done is during lunch or in the evenings, which makes for even longer days.

I'm grateful to have a job that has pretty much worked seamlessly through all of this though.
Management definitely needs to get a handle on meetings breeding like rabbits.
(That has happened here, right?)

I have no problem with someone collecting..if they meet the criteria.
That moves the issue to the definition of the "criteria".

If you care about the bill that will come due,
you'll care about the criteria.

Worked right on through. Proud of my employer and the company.
The 600 is crazy. Someone is going to have repay that money somehow some way somewhere down the line. I'm quite sure it will be difficult/next to impossible for many to return to reality.
I have no problem with someone collecting..if they meet the criteria.
Those who abuse the system, those who are called back and dodge it, those who could find employment equal or better than what they had....well...have some self respect, show a little integrity. Don't be a scumbag.

MA lost millions upon millions , they got scammed themselves with a rushed program and accepting everyone and checking them out later

I don't think the people "getting a hand out" have been better off. They all probably want to work....they're not freeloaders by choice. They have no job bc the government destroyed their employers in the name of a virus with a 99.7% survival rate.
I work in HR/management in an "essential industry", so we have not only not had any shutdowns, we're doing record business and desperate for labor.

Out of roughly a hundred employees at our location, we have about a dozen who are taking advantage of "scared because COVID" or "no child care because COVID". Some have legitimate health concerns or no other options, so I understand those cases. But, about half of them are just riding the bonus, making far more on UI than they made at work.

I'll say it again, but if the teachers decide not to come back to school b/c of Corona and the schools have to shut down, lay off half of them. You don't need 100% of teh teachers to check online work and run a lesson plan. Not only do you lay off all of your "extra" teachers (aids, art, music, etc.,) but you then cut half of your grade-level staff. I'm betting THEY'LL be racing back to work. B/c as far as they are concerned up until this point, they're going to happily work from home and collect 100% of pay. Habbbouuuuut. . . . . NO!

Back
Top Bottom