• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Working For A Living In The Days Of CoronaV

EddieZoom

NES Member
<mild rant>

I've been one of the "lucky" ones who have continued to get up and go to work every day since Covid-19 hit...so why don't I feel "lucky' ? All the normal BS, stress, and nonsense of the job along with a metric ton of CoronaV change, confusion, uncertainty, dysfunction, and doubt.

Am i crazy to think the folks who've been living off government handouts over the last 3-4 months have had the better deal ? A once-in-a-lifetime (we hope) "excuse" to take the easier of the two paths, stay home in their pj's, get paid, and say to anyone who asks "what ya going to do...it's the Corona...not my fault" ?

Took my first time off this week since January and as expected, work has devolved into a complete shitshow....I am finding it harder and harder to care.

</rant>

Last edited:
The under reported problems of mental health in the mess is real. I consider myself relatively stable but I've been under a lot of stress and weird thoughts that we men are not suppose to admit. It goes across the gamut in this society, take care of yourself.

Time off is called Mental Health Days for a reason.

Been working remote (so from home) for a while now. Works pretty well for the group I'm a part of. We still take PTO days like we would have normally. Just means my commute is <1 minute instead of 35-65 minutes (depending on direction and other factors).

Not having to drive through F'ing Lowell is worth the entire affair.

Been working the whole time. Had sales guys complain when we called them back in cause they were making way more money being unemployed...

I guess it depends on your pay scale but 600 a week plus UE ain't a bad deal for many.

We were immune to layoffs. My job never changed much but the wife comes home stressed from stupid people.

Since my wife can’t work anymore after her Brain surgeries 5 of them and her stroke in November I’ve been working 5-6 days a week and really just worry about my family, I don’t think too much about the ones that are living off the system.
A vacation would be nice since I haven’t been on one in 16 years. Even just a beach house for a 3 day weekend would be nice.

I both like and dislike working from home. I didn't have much of a commute to begin with but going to 0 is much nicer. What I find to be the hardest is there are no breaks in the day. Before you had to give people time to walk from meeting to meeting, and my facility is pretty big, so sometimes there was a 10 minute walk between meetings. Now it's just click the X, click "Join Meeting Online" and you're into the next meeting. Being On for what is typically a 10 hour day is exhausting. No walking, no chitchat, no "I'll be late I have to swing by the coffee machine and then hit the head", just work. The only times I can actually get real work done is during lunch or in the evenings, which makes for even longer days.

I'm grateful to have a job that has pretty much worked seamlessly through all of this though.

Am i crazy to think the folks who've been living off government handouts over the last 3-4 months have had the better deal ?
You're not crazy. Logically speaking, work less and earn more makes sense. Morally, do you want to even begin a path of leeching and laziness? Over my dead body.

As my father says, "there is ALWAYS a reward for hard work"

One positive aspect of having to go into the office is the time boundaries. The working day is easier to define and colleagues respect those boundaries.

As we've gone into the 'remote' workforce, those boundaries have evaporated with colleagues scheduling meetings at all hours of the day. Last night I was on calls from ~8AM to well past 8PM.

Then we have the HR initiatives of wanting (dictating) that you bring things like 'webcams' and 'corporate' owned cell phones into your home for business meetings and interviews (not mandatory but also noting that it could become mandatory). Being conscious of how this can be abused, we are not a fan of such things.

With the upside being a certain amount of flexibility and the reduction of the commute, there are the downsides to bringing corporations into your private domicile. I'm fortunate to be employed but at some point boundaries need to be clarified.

Last edited:
Been working everyday, except for days off that I would have taken anyway. About 25% from home. The way it looks is that the company will use this as an opportunity to keep working remotely, unless necessary. At which point you won't have your own cubicle or office. Spaces will be shared. Not a big fan of that. It is nice going on the office for now. Plenty of parking.

The one thing that burns me is that I don't think they will be re opening the gym at work anytime soon. I had a really excellent routine going. I'm much more sedentary now.

I've been working from home for 13 years, so no change for me at all. But now everyone that I worked with are working from home. So lots of changes to everyone else. They used to all think I had it great, now they see it has it's pros and cons. It works well for me, I've been doing it a long time and have things setup so I get more work done from home than I would in the office. Everyone else was not prepared for this, some are getting better at it, others just never will and need to get back to the office to get things done.

Overall though, I'm happy that I have not been affected financially by this situation. It certainly affects me somewhat mentally just like everyone else. And the same inconveniences, but so far I can deal with all that ok.

Since my wife can’t work anymore after her Brain surgeries 5 of them and her stroke in November I’ve been working 5-6 days a week and really just worry about my family, I don’t think too much about the ones that are living off the system.
A vacation would be nice since I haven’t been on one in 16 years. Even just a beach house for a 3 day weekend would be nice.

Take that vacation now. You only get one go at life. Spend some time with the wife and relax. Work will still be there when you get back...

Worked right on through. Proud of my employer and the company.
The 600 is crazy. Someone is going to have repay that money somehow some way somewhere down the line. I'm quite sure it will be difficult/next to impossible for many to return to reality.
I have no problem with someone collecting..if they meet the criteria.
Those who abuse the system, those who are called back and dodge it, those who could find employment equal or better than what they had....well...have some self respect, show a little integrity. Don't be a scumbag.

As my father says, "there is ALWAYS a reward for hard work"
He's 100% right, hard work has given me bad knees, a bad back, other small lingering injuries.. lol

But I still do it! I've been doing 50-55 hrs since the whole Rona crap started. We just scaled back some of the OT though one the Paycheck Protection ended. Still in the high 40s every week.

I both like and dislike working from home. I didn't have much of a commute to begin with but going to 0 is much nicer. What I find to be the hardest is there are no breaks in the day. Before you had to give people time to walk from meeting to meeting, and my facility is pretty big, so sometimes there was a 10 minute walk between meetings. Now it's just click the X, click "Join Meeting Online" and you're into the next meeting. Being On for what is typically a 10 hour day is exhausting. No walking, no chitchat, no "I'll be late I have to swing by the coffee machine and then hit the head", just work. The only times I can actually get real work done is during lunch or in the evenings, which makes for even longer days.

I'm grateful to have a job that has pretty much worked seamlessly through all of this though.
Meetings (Zoom or live) aren't work. Meetings are the antithesis of work. They're what those people incapable of working do.

<mild rant>

I've been one of the "lucky" ones who have continued to get up and go to work every day since Covid-19 hit...so why don't I feel "lucky' ? All the normal BS, stress, and nonsense of the job along with a metric ton of CoronaV change, confusion, uncertainty, dysfunction, and doubt.

Am i crazy to think the folks who've been living off government handouts over the last 3-4 months have had the better deal ? A once-in-a-lifetime (we hope) "excuse" to take the easier of the two paths, stay home in their pj's, get paid, and say to anyone who asks "what ya going to do...it's the Corona...not my fault" ?

Took my first time off this week since January and as expected, work has devolved into a complete shitshow....I am finding it harder and harder to care.

</rant>

You not crazy. Stress is at 2008 levels. No end in sight. The only upside is the Corona-sitters have another week of UE and then they gotta go back to work.

I guess I'm lucky. I was at an essential business, but it was closing by the end of the year. So, I was also job hunting (you get into the lifeboat, when the ship hits the iceberg, not when the deck's awash), and found another essential business.

It's actually been pretty much same-old, but with less traffic. That said, at the risk of sounding like Polyanna, I try to make sure that I focus on the positive (not positive test results).

I say, "I'm too blessed to be stressed!" If some people are sitting on their azzes, collecting....meh. Getting all wound up will not change the situation, though it might change my blood pressure. [laugh]

I've been working from home for 13 years, so no change for me at all. But now everyone that I worked with are working from home. So lots of changes to everyone else. They used to all think I had it great, now they see it has it's pros and cons. It works well for me, I've been doing it a long time and have things setup so I get more work done from home than I would in the office. Everyone else was not prepared for this, some are getting better at it, others just never will and need to get back to the office to get things done.

Overall though, I'm happy that I have not been affected financially by this situation. It certainly affects me somewhat mentally just like everyone else. And the same inconveniences, but so far I can deal with all that ok.

Nail on the head. IMO most people just aren't built for WFH. You lose all of your M-F outside-of-the-home FTF social interaction. No way even just mild extroverts can handle it long-term. Sure, maybe for a few months under the threat of COVID, but past that? No way...

@Obie1 recently posted an incredible vacation offer, 1/2 price, on Lake Champlain. Perhaps it's still on the table?

We never stopped.
For a few weeks in March right after it went bonkers , we slowed down .
As soon a good weather hit we went balls out.
Part of it was now that so many people are home that they are noticing every little thing.

Some days are more stressful than others .
We have to do our job and balance it with taking care of ourselves too.
Add to the mix people who just don't give a shit about anyone else .
We had a nursing home / rehab center call with an issue and they walked our guy right through the covid floor and never said a word till the guy was almost done with the job.
The dude there had no idea how close he came to the kid busting his jaw.
Wonder why it spreads through these places like wildfire ? Hint: They are run by idiots.

Three days after that I got a call from a group home about a problem they had.
Went in , did my thing and as I was putting my gear back in the truck I was chatting with a gal that works there.
The usual "Hows everybody holding up through this ? " ect.
She then says "Oh not good , it's going through the house and one guy died two weeks ago."
I'm telling you that if it had been a guy , the only thing that would have beat him to the ER would have been the headlights on the ambulance .
I did however cuss her ass our with every choice word I've learned in a lifetime.

Now we have to ask screener questions because people suck and I still proceed as if they lied.

I'm happy to be working , but i'm glad I don't drink anymore.

I've had a home office job for over ten years now, for four different companies. My wife hasn't worked in ~ seven years or more.

Working from home is what allowed us to move to NC in the first place. There isn't an office for me to go to even if I wanted one.

So not much really changed due to Covid.

My company gave everyone a 10% pay cut since the end of March. Executives got 20% cut, and no bonuses. All this versus having to do a round of layoffs.

Cashflow is tight in the home.

Not a good time to find out our dog needs $800 surgery to remove a mast cell tumor from her ear.

Last edited:
Anyone with that oulook on life truly deserves the handle "Mr Happy" ;-)

Actually, I took it from a friend's ironic meaning for "A Mister Happy" : Mister Happy Tack-in-the-rug, or, Mister Happy ice on the sidewalk.

Over time, however, I've decided that if you can give yourself a positive (or at least non-negative) attitude ,a la the Serenity Prayer (though I'm neither a praying man, nor a friend of Bill W.), you'll be better off. Jackass drivers don't wind me up - I just avoid them. Whiners and complainers don't bother me. Even rabid Moonbats don't emotionally rile me up.

Hell, even the pandemic gives me a reason for dark humor (see my avatar) [laugh]

To each their own.

Not a good time to find out our dog needs $800 surgery to remove a mast cell tumor from the dog's ear.
My dog had a big one on her belly removed last month. She's all good now, just need to keep checking for new lumps and bumps. These tumors can come back in other locations.

I won't lie... I've been working while watching my co-workers lose their jobs, furloughed, or outright laid off.... People I know are good people. People I cared about. It's been giving me anxiety... I've been having difficulty sleeping. I'm not afraid to admit it...

Mental health issues are no different then the next guy's back issues. People who disagree need to get the f_ck over themselves... It's not macho to deny yourself the care you need... It's stupid...

Same story here. I would have made a killing on UI with the $600 bonus, but no, I have to stick to those damn scruples instead.

Now I'll get the added stress of asking customers to wear masks.

I’ll say that two parents continuing to work while taking care of a toddler and infant when daycare is closed, is.... challenging. Work half days during business hours, then try to make up work in the weekday evenings and weekends. All while slowly chipping away at PTO because there’s not enough evening time in a week. There is no time off... except when I can be a little less productive while paroozing NES.

I’m thankful I still have my job and that it is flexible. But this is untenable.

<mild rant>

</rant>

I really depends - if you have the type of job that will survive a prolonged depression, consider yourself lucky (or good).

People who work in retail, restaurant, or jobs threatened by the trend toward automation and remote working could be in serious long-term trouble. Hopefully they're using the generous unemployment to look or train for more stable employment, and not just trading Hertz stock on RobinHood.

The states are going to sacrifice so many jobs and industries in the quest to dethrone Trump and get bail outs - so watch your back.

<mild rant>

</rant>
Be blessed to still be working, friend. The plebs living off of the government are going to have their extra subsidies cut at the end of the month and I feel we might see more unrest because of it. You worked hard and I'm sure that will come around for you in the future.

Back
Top Bottom