• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club

Managing keys with hundreds of members is a non-starter and there is no way to get a key back when members don’t renew. An electronic system allows the club to revoke access to members who don’t renew and doesn’t require periodically changing the locks and issuing hundreds of new keys.

A padlock and keys works for a small club, but Worcester isn’t small.
I personally wouldn't choose it but Londonderry utilizes padlocks still and they change the core every year and give you a new key. I suppose the main upside is you don't need electronic support for it, and you can still access the club if the local power is down.

I personally wouldn't choose it but Londonderry utilizes padlocks still and they change the core every year and give you a new key. I suppose the main upside is you don't need electronic support for it, and you can still access the club if the local power is down.
I was in the club leadership at Wayland Rod & Club for many years and we did the same. But that club had less than 200 members. It becomes a lot more cumbersome with 900 members. Getting 900 keys made and distributing them would be a huge pain in the neck.

This is what my club (Cape Ann Sportsman’s) in Gloucester does.
But the clubhouse uses an electronic system

Gates are expensive and can be a PITA. Lightning poses a risk (which can be mitigated by a variety of isolation techniques, but the card/fob reader can still get toasted). There are two items - the gate and the access control system. Fixing either can be pricey, especially if your plan is to "call the installation company" rather than "call a member to fix it using the spares you keep on hand". I'm talking a few hundred $$ vs. a few thousand.

Gates give some additional interesting options. Depending on your club needs, you can either have a "fail secure" (gate is locked even when it cannot be opened) or "fail unsecure" - gate opens when the access control does not work. You can set the gate to automatically open during club events, and even configure a gate to open when the line power is used, or when battery backup (if you are using it) runs low. The access log can also be useful.

Once you get over 1000 users, mailing out keys becomes problematic :oops:

Last edited:
Attention: :) - As a member of the club, I'd like to propose that, in response to HD4420, we end our hosting of local PD practice/range usage.
I think it will send a strong message in opposition to any of the crap that is being proposed.

Thoughts?

Attention: :) - As a member of the club, I'd like to propose that, in response to HD4420, we end our hosting of local PD practice/range usage.
I think it will send a strong message in opposition to any of the crap that is being proposed.

Thoughts?
Might want to find out if your local PD is pro oor anti 4420.

Might want to find out if your local PD is pro oor anti 4420.
Good point. An additional question would be are they being vocal about being Anti-4420. Keeping their mouth shut is equivalent of being Pro.
They would need to fight WITH us in order to retain the privilege, otherwise they support and agree to enforce unconstitutional legislation.
Do we as a club want to do favors for those who may be supporting unconstitutional laws?

It may be complex but, it's a simple question to ponder.

Last edited:

It may be complex but, it's a simple question to ponder.

I've worked with and know the chief/ some of the officers. They are a very good organization. I personally welcome them and am perfectly comfortable with them on club property. The club has been associated in a positive manner for decades (maybe longer) with them.

That being said. This forum is not the wisest choice of platforms to discuss this. If you feel as strongly as you've written, I would suggest you find out for yourself where the Boylston Police Department stands on this issue. And if you want to pursue your idea, I would suggest you bring it up to the WPRC E-Board and or in person at a club meeting.

Jay

A good fob system will have battery backups that will actuate the door or gate or whatever even if the power is out......

Depends on how cheap a given club decided to be.
I get it but after a point replicating that many keys is not cheap either and it's going to add up over time. I mean the padlock clubs probably build the cost in the membership but it's still kind of ridiculous. Not to mention the administrative overhead of replacing physical keys annually is ridiculous.....

I get it but after a point replicating that many keys is not cheap either and it's going to add up over time. I mean the padlock clubs probably build the cost in the membership but it's still kind of ridiculous. Not to mention the administrative overhead of replacing physical keys annually is ridiculous.....
One thing you can do to reduce the costs is to get X number of lock cores and matching keys. Say 3 or 4. Then each year you change the core and exchange keys. So you aren’t cutting a ton of keys each year.

That said, the cost for hundreds of keys still adds up. For the club that I belonged too, we didn’t have power at the gate and it was a long ways from the clubhouse. So it would have required adding electrical service to the gate along with some networking connectivity.

In general, I think an electronic gate with proximity cards is the way to go.

I've worked with and know the chief/ some of the officers. They are a very good organization. I personally welcome them and am perfectly comfortable with them on club property. The club has been associated in a positive manner for decades (maybe longer) with them.

That being said. This forum is not the wisest choice of platforms to discuss this. If you feel as strongly as you've written, I would suggest you find out for yourself where the Boylston Police Department stands on this issue. And if you want to pursue your idea, I would suggest you bring it up to the WPRC E-Board and or in person at a club meeting.

Jay
I'm not denying they are good folks, or saying they're not. I only knew that we host the range for training. I had no idea how many towns we hosted to but, now I do.
So, this wasn't aimed at any department in particular. - just a thought.....though maybe a worded a little harshly in retrospect.

The strongest voices are Officials and enforcement agencies. Those can't be ignored. ALL firearms owners, and clubs, need to do all we can to stop this turd they're trying to float in it's tracks. BUT 'we' have to be vocal enough to them, in order for them to have standing to support us. The more negative repercussions that are shown from this bill, the better.

I was bringing up a point of leverage that clubs may want to consider to help send the message through important voices. I think it would trickle up to strong message to our Representatives.

-didn't mean to write my OP as a 'rambo' but it did come off douchbaggy....maybe a little explanation first may have been better...
I think it's a viable avenue to have voices heard.

I guess I haven't been to the range in a while, just found out about the key fob change today. Been a member for a number of years but can't seem to get onto any email lists. I'll have to reach out to the officers to figure out how to get access to the club.

And to show you how the club runs-- they got back to me within an hour of reaching out-- I for one am happy to go the smart phone route, often I don't have the Fob with me so this will lead to an increase in attendance for me.
My previous post was not meant to disparage the club at all-- anyone thinking of joining I think its a great place.

As many of you know, as the end of the year approaches, there are many people who still have not paid their dues for 2023. With over 1100 members, we have a waitng list of over 200 people. If you have not paid your dues, please reach out to me via the website. If payment is not received by the end of the year, you will be dropped off the membership and will have to reapply.
2024 dues will be sent out in an email in January, allowing you to pay directly online via CC. Any questions, please reach out Via the website - Contact-Us

As many of you know, as the end of the year approaches, there are many people who still have not paid their dues for 2023. With over 1100 members, we have a waitng list of over 200 people. If you have not paid your dues, please reach out to me via the website. If payment is not received by the end of the year, you will be dropped off the membership and will have to reapply.
2024 dues will be sent out in an email in January, allowing you to pay directly online via CC. Any questions, please reach out Via the website - Contact-Us
How many people are you planning on losing this year ?

WPRC Important Notice!​

During today's work party we sorted brass from the indoor range collected over the last few months. Many .223 (over 100) rounds were found in the indoor range brass containers. As you all should know, NO Centerfire rifles/pistol style rifles including an AR can be used in the Indoor Range. There is no exception to this rule. Anyone caught firing .223 or any center fire rifles in the indoor range will immediately have their membership permanently terminated. There are cameras covering the indoor range and we are working on determining who was firing these guns in the indoor range. If the person wants to step forward and reach out to us, you will not have your membership terminated.
Also, in the indoor range, a 5-gallon bucket was added next to the brass collection container. The 5-gallon bucket is for any non-brass spent casings i.e. aluminum, steel, zinc or any others. Please help us with the sorting process by putting your brass in the brass only container and all else in the 5-gallon bucket.

Thank you.
E-board

Renewal email stated April 4th, not end of 2023

Renewal email stated April 4th, not end of 2023
If dues are not received by April 4th, a late fee is added to the amount owed, i.e. the due date on the invoice. There are many that did not renew in 2023. The purpose of this notice was to remind people of their dues in hopes they do not have to spend extra money because they forgot. If they do not pay their dues and late fees by December 31 of 2024, they will no longer be a member and will have to reapply.

If dues are not received by April 4th, a late fee is added to the amount owed, i.e. the due date on the invoice. There are many that did not renew in 2023. The purpose of this notice was to remind people of their dues in hopes they do not have to spend extra money because they forgot. If they do not pay their dues and late fees by December 31 of 2024, they will no longer be a member and will have to reapply.
Got it, thanks for clarifying! I’m still in the “need to pay” camp

Absolutely, if you go on the website wprclub.com go to the membership tab and apply, you will automatically be put on the wait list.
Ok great I just submitted. Forgive me if I already did this I can’t remember if i just inquired. I have a bunch of buddies that shoot there so it would make sense to join. Thanks again!

I'm curious about the current "range" training emails coming in-- is this mandatory training? From the wording it sounds like we are being asked to show that we know how to use our own firearms?

I'm curious about the current "range" training emails coming in-- is this mandatory training? From the wording it sounds like we are being asked to show that we know how to use our own firearms?
The indoor range training now includes a live fire safety evaluation. The intention is for persons wanting to use the indoor range to be trained on how to use the range as well as show that they are competent to shoot safely without shooting the floor and ceiling, as there have been MANY 100s of shots to the floor and ceiling as well as the walls. All new members will go through this during orientation as well as any member who have NOT had the training in the past that want access to the indoor range. Those who have already been through the training are not required to redo it. During the monthly meeting last year, I believe it was in March, we discussed the safety evaluation being added to the training and the membership that was present agreed that it was a good idea. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me.
VP

Back
Top Bottom