Worcester 1/9/10 IDPA Match

OK, you have talked me into it. [smile] I need to put my Kimber through a workout anyways. [mg]

Thanks for all the help.

Bring a flashlight also, there will be a low light stage. Cost is $15 for non-members, $10 for WPRC members. The SERPA is fine, that's what I shot my first match with. If you get the bug you'll probably want something better, but it's a fine start.

The maximum rounds on a stage is 18. Your 1911 will be in the CDP division, and you'll start 8+1 and have 8 in your 2 mags on your belt. (Unless your mags only hold 7 rounds.) Bring as many mags as you have, as it's more convenient. As long as you have at least 3, you're good to go, but you'll have to put an extra loose round in to top off. If you have 4 mags, you can just swap them.

When you sign in, let whoever is running the registration know that you're new to IDPA. We'll pair you with someone experienced to show you the ropes.

Cool, I have 4 8's and a 10 so that is not a problem. Just a question for future reference, in the low light stage is a gun mounted light OK? Or is it hand held only? My new toy has a rail that is why I ask.

Cool, I have 4 8's and a 10 so that is not a problem. Just a question for future reference, in the low light stage is a gun mounted light OK? Or is it hand held only? My new toy has a rail that is why I ask.

Hand held only per IDPA rules. If you do not have one, I am sure somebody will gladly lend you one to shoot that particular stage.

To everyone that is hesitant to try this... just get the heck out there and try it! Everyone you will see at WPRC are the nicest people you'll meet. You can't find a better way to give your gun some holster wear!

I agree 100% with this statement.

I am still on the fence about going because my daughter has a basketball game at 11:00 that morning and I think her grandfather may be coming up to see her play. If that is the case then I will not be attending. Otherwise I am in.

BTW, I haven't shot my gun since the last IDPA match so this should be interesting.

Per IDPA rules, you can only use the 8 round magazines in CDP, and you can't use a weapon-mounted light.

*NOOB* - I am interested in IDPA, would it be possible to just come and watch? I've read about it but I would like to see how it works and learn a little bit more.

Appleseeds; I have never shot one, and I am going. I am just worried about getting hooked. [wink]

Mike; I have to ask, "barney"?

Mike; I have to ask, "barney"?
That's for topping off your gun prior to starting the stage. At least two ways to do it:

1) without using a barney mag: insert 8 round mag, cycle slide to charge chamber, remove magazine, apply safety, holster. Top off 8 round mag with loose round and insert into gun.
2) with using a barney mag: Insert barney mag, cycle slide to charge chamber, stow barney mag in pocket, insert full mag, apply safety, and holster.

Method 2 is faster and fine at local matches. I don't think barney mags are allowed at a regional match, but I'm not sure on that.

Oh, the "barney mag" comes from Barney Fife who only had 1 cartridge in his pocket. The barney mag is used to top off that extra round in your semi-auto...

*NOOB* - I am interested in IDPA, would it be possible to just come and watch? I've read about it but I would like to see how it works and learn a little bit more.

Sure, no problem. However, you may end up wishing you had brought your gear and shot. Whether you can just jump in and shoot depends on your experience / training. If you've had a decent basic defensive handgun course and are comfortable and safe drawing from the holster, shooting on the move, and reloading under pressure, you can jump in and figure out the rest as you go. Either way, feel free to ask as many questions as you want. Action pistol sports are full of the nicest people you'll ever meet and they're all happy to help new shooters.

Method 2 is faster and fine at local matches. I don't think barney mags are allowed at a regional match, but I'm not sure on that.

Barney mags are by far the more common method and are fine at matches everywhere. The only time I recommend people use a loose round is if they don't have a 4th magazine (in IDPAthat is, number of mags for USPSA production is a separate issue).

Just a reminder to all spectators to bring eye and ear protection. They are required at our range. Like Jar said, bring your equipment with you just in case you get the itch.

My first time at Worcester, awesome match very well organized. Not too cold, actually nice in sunshine. I'll be sure to be back, hopefully a little faster [grin]

Nice meeting you today Mike-Mike.....and the rest of the guys too....can't believe how many NES'ers were there...wish I was there to shoot...maybe next time....

To those guys that I met, thanks much for answering my questions (very noob-ish questions!) and being so friendly. Nice day, watched a little bit of each stage but couldn't stay too long because of other commitments!

I had an awesome time today. I have definitely found my new addiction, can't wait to shoot an other one. Thank you to everyone one involved in putting this event on.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom