• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Won a rifle, want to sell it

Hi everybody! I hope you guys did not forget me yet [smile]
I just went to a professional conference in Atlanta, GA, and there we had a clay shooting event. I totally ashamed myself (or, if you wish to be politically correct, did very well for a first-time clay shooter). So, I won a "first-timers shoot", and my prize was a 243 Savage rifle, which arrived ny mail yesterday.
I would like to sell or otherwise use this gun to raise money for the veterinarian who runs an animal rescue in Nicaragua. Can anyone advice me what is the best deal? I mean, simply advertise it for sale, or put for an auction (if so, where), or any other suggestions? Thanks everyone!
I can't present pics of the gun right now, as I don't have an access to the camera. But here are pictures of this Nicaraguan vet. I always help him during my trips there.

PICT1259.jpg

Dr. Doolittle and Chi-Chi the Monkey near the ambulance.

jorje.jpg

Here I am assisting this doctor to operate an injured dog. We had to amputate her toe, but we saved her!

That is very sweet of you, Yelena. I would suggest finding a local gun dealer who sells through AuctionArms.com and/or Gunbroker.com and having them list it there for you. The dealer should know which of the two sites will get the better return. (I beleive that right now prices tend to be a bit higher on gunbroker.) The Savage is very popular, especially in .243 and it should do very well there.

Yelena,
Congrats on winning it and for doing so well at your clay shoot.

I would suggest a raffle: say $5 a ticket and 5 tickets for $20
If you get 100 tickets you will cover the amount you would probably make selling it privately. Anything more than that is just more money for your cause

Yelena,
Congrats on winning it and for doing so well at your clay shoot.

I would suggest a raffle: say $5 a ticket and 5 tickets for $20
If you get 100 tickets you will cover the amount you would probably make selling it privately. Anything more than that is just more money for your cause

I'd buy 25 tickets.

I see a lot of people suggesting a raffle. It was my first thought! However, in RI and in MA you can't make a raffle, unless you have a license for it. I of course don't have such a license. So I have to think of selling it, putting it on auction and so on.

My suggestion is to temporarily change your residence and reflect your change on your profile so you are now not a resident of RI,( AHEM ) I would be in for 5 tixs.

Put a price on the rifle, put it in the classifieds and sell it. A raffle is nothing but trouble and you don't need that. Find a friendly dealer to advise you how much to ask.

Best of luck,

I'd buy tix. Vets are some of the best people on this planet. You could always raffle off a "surprise gift". Something you think of at the last minute and give to the winner via FFL if need be. Or if your friendly with, or if your local gunstore has any conscience at all, you do the work setting it up, and they do the actual raffle. They might even add a lil something.

Or maybe contact one of the FFL's here. Maybe they can legally do it. There are some really good people and FFL's here on the forum.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom