• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Woman-shot-after-mans-gun-accidentally-discharges-ohio

Ok great. If you feel comfortable with that clown with your loved ones and him shooting guns around them, go at it. However, I have a right to express my opinion that if I was able to enforce the punishment, that person forfeited his right to own a weapon by performing such a dangerous act. Just my opinion. It means nothing in the real world since I am not in charge. However its ironic that I'm called a dictator for simply voicing my opinion on a chat forum designed to share views yet you seem to give this guy the right to have a gun no matter what under any conditions. Guess the First amendment is just for certain people?
Who said anything about having him around loved ones? You like creating shit.
You do not understand freedom or liberty.

charlie-and-the-chocolate-factory-willy-wonka.gif

Is Glock the only pistol that makes you pull the trigger before you can field strip it? In some police stations they have special chutes you're supposed to point the gun at even after you're triple and quadruple sure it's unloaded and clear. The range could have easily installed something like that. Still doesn't help if the operator is a retard though. Anyone else besides me put on a III-A vest when you go to a public range?
So you're feeling is that this is the gun's fault even though this nimrod pulled the trigger on a loaded gun while it was pointed at himself and the woman? Are you Alec Baldwin?

It is usually the untrained that causes this crap. If I had a gun range. Everyone would need to watch a 10 minute video prior to shooting. it would be graphic. There would be blood and guts. People forget. Even the trained get complacent. I can't tell you how many "trained People" have discharged a firearm and regretted it. Cops switching over to Semiauto's really showed don't holster with your finger on the trigger.

While I am not for forcing training on people. It should be offered. But, you will always have those who think it will never happen to them. This lady was lucky she had some padding. If that was that guys woman. I am sure. He will never live it down. No matter the argument. your dumbass shot me will come up over and over.

I think this is most striker fired pistols, but I’ve certainly not handled all of them.

This is why any time I take new person shooting, rifle or pistol, they get one round in the weapon at a time until they’re comfortable.
That's a wonderful idea. Have them make each shot count. I have taken some ribbing from friends for checking a firearm's chamber three times each, including placing my finger into the action and chamber to ensure that it is clear. Paranoid guy, they jokingly called me. Well, I like to think of myself as just very cautious. Better safe than sorry!

Does he get another chance to put a round where my 10 year old's head would be?

EVERY public range I've been to says to keep guns unloaded except for on the range. I download any guns I'm going to be using, I used to keep my carry gun on my hip under the concealed means concealed mantra.

This guy has a pretty serious issue with doing the correct thing at the correct time. I'm not all in on him losing his rights, but damn, stupid should be costly.

I'm sure it's going to be costly when the doctor bills start rolling in. I carry my ccw weapon to the range and once I am there I remove, holster and all. When I'm done I reload safely at the range, put it back in the holster and go abut my merry way.

I belong to a private club that required safety certification to even be a member and despite all of that I've been swept. I don't understand how some people have so much difficulty with the concept of keeping the barrel pointed down range.

So you're feeling is that this is the gun's fault even though this nimrod pulled the trigger on a loaded gun while it was pointed at himself and the woman? Are you Alec Baldwin?
Easy there, triggered glock fan. When and where did I imply it was the guns fault? In fact I even called him retarded. Looks like there's much retardation going on these days. Wouldn't you agree?

Is Glock the only pistol that makes you pull the trigger before you can field strip it? In some police stations they have special chutes you're supposed to point the gun at even after you're triple and quadruple sure it's unloaded and clear. The range could have easily installed something like that. Still doesn't help if the operator is a retard though. Anyone else besides me put on a III-A vest when you go to a public range?
Lc9s needs the trigger pulled. Before stripping.

There are two possible reactions to an experience like this. One is to reform yourself and get safe, ... The other is to continue being stupid. I think most people learn from an experience like this, so this guy is probably safer than an average shooter now. Probably. Either that, or he's a walking CF who will never learn. ...
The guy's probably sold the gun and sworn off the Sporting Life.
Not many newbs would hop back on after getting bucked off that horse.
They'd be shunned by friends and family.

But there's always that chance that he's on his regional gun board right now,
asking for advice on which semi-auto's E-Z slide racks best
when you're nursing a hole in your left hand.

It is usually the untrained that causes this crap. If I had a gun range. Everyone would need to watch a 10 minute video prior to shooting. it would be graphic. There would be blood and guts. People forget. Even the trained get complacent. I can't tell you how many "trained People" have discharged a firearm and regretted it. ...
Here's ours; sorry it doesn't deliver the horror.

That's a wonderful idea. Have them make each shot count. I have taken some ribbing from friends for checking a firearm's chamber three times each, including placing my finger into the action and chamber to ensure that it is clear. Paranoid guy, they jokingly called me. Well, I like to think of myself as just very cautious. Better safe than sorry!
That's A Thing.
I'd respect someone that went through that rigamarole at my range.

For years I've had sneaking suspicion that I could conceal a loose live round
in the slots between the magwell rails of our Ruger Mk. III 22/45 -
and with the worst luck, it could get chambered.
So never say never.

... I carry my ccw weapon to the range and once I am there I remove, holster and all. When I'm done I reload safely at the range, put it back in the holster and go abut my merry way. ...
Uh, are you intending to shoot the CCW at these sessions?

Anyone else besides me put on a III-A vest when you go to a public range?
I know for a fact that Mas Ayoob did when attending certain IPSC* matches back in the day.

Yes, IPSC. This was so long ago it was before USPSA went it's own route.

Last edited:
It's funny, but I've noticed that the past couple years being muzzle swept doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

The guy that complained that I swept him when I took my case out of the car is the type that annoys me more than the sweepers. For the record, the case was rectangle - so he didn't really know if I muzzle swept him or butt swept him.

If you want to have a coherent thought about this, you have to distinguish consequences of safety violations from consequences of the outcomes of safety violations. A safety violation in and of itself normally carries somewhat corrective consequences precisely because nothing bad happened. Hence the example of the person who sweeps someone else at the range. If the outcome of the safety violation is that nobody got hurt, then some corrective action is taken. The mistake is ultimately one of awareness. But the reason we care about sweeping in the first place is because somebody might get shot. That's a potential outcome of a safety violation, and if the sweeper causes that outcome, then nobody cares anymore about the corrective consequences for the safety violation. They care about the consequences for the tragic outcome that the safety violation caused.

Baldwin killed somebody. New Mexico has a law specifically about killing someone by way of negligence with a firearm. The mistake Baldwin actually made was a safety violation. The outcome of his safety violation is what makes charging him appropriate, not the safety violation per se. In this case, the outcome was an injury to himself and to a relative. If the relative doesn't want to press charges against him, then as long as the DA doesn't want to pursue anything on his own, he's legally off the hook, regardless of what the good captain would prefer. If Hutchins hadn't died, the NM involuntary manslaughter law wouldn't apply, and perhaps she, too, would have had an opportunity to effectively waive off prosecution on any lesser charges that might apply. But she did die, and if Baldwin is ever prosecuted, that's what he will be prosecuted for.

I'm an RO/CSO/blah, blah, blah. I run the timer on my squad at most of the local matches. We have everything from GMs to the 10 year old girl who showed up with her dad for her first match at our last USPSA match. As an RO I'm somewhat flexible, we want new shooters to be safe and we want them to have a good time so that they come back, (and hopefully get more proficient).

If you're an experienced shooter and you load ammo on the safety table, you're probably getting DQ'd - you (should) know better. If you're a first timer, you're going to have a quiet conversation about why you don't do that including the explanation that it's a DQ'able offence - and why.

If you start to bring out your gun before "Make Ready", (or "Load and Make Ready") - I'm going to try to stop you. Again - if you're experienced, you're probably going home; if you're new you're getting an explanation.

If you break the 180, you're going home. If you muzzle anyone, you're going home. Shot over the berm, goodbye.

I was teaching someone else how to run the timer at our last match. When the 10 year old girl shot, I RO'd her and I had her dad on her other side. Ran her through the stages patiently, slowly and safely. Had to warn her once about "finger" on the trigger while moving. Called it, had a word with her dad, and he talked to her about it. She had a great time, and they'll be back.

Back
Top Bottom