Woman Shoots Herself While Trying to Kill Mice

Too stupid to buy and set a fifty cent mouse trap........she deserves all the pain that can be dished out to her. [rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes]Hope she walks with a limp for the rest of her life to remind her of her stupidity.

Sometimes superior fire power isn't all that it's cracked up to be.
A few questions she may have asked before squeezing the trigger.
Is that a mouse in your pocket?
Are you a man or a mouse?
Talk about a knee jerk reaction....
Is this all of the story or will there be a trailer?
Best Regards.

I've seen plenty of Smiths around on the used market chambered for the big old .44 with firing pins on the hammer.

And yet they still can't fire unless the trigger is pulled. Hammer-mounted firing pins were standard on almost all S&W revolvers until the 1980's.

And yet they still can't fire unless the trigger is pulled. Hammer-mounted firing pins were standard on almost all S&W revolvers until the 1980's.

Right, but the pin in theory could hit the primer if the gun was dropped hard enough and fire a round. They should still be kept with an empty chamber under the hammer even though they're not single actions.

Right? Or am I wrong and there is a mechanism similar to a transfer bar in these revolvers that would prevent that? like a hammer block?

Last edited:
Right, but the pin in theory could hit the primer if the gun was dropped hard enough and fire a round. They should still be kept with an empty chamber under the hammer even though they're not single actions.

Wrong.

There's a hammer block that prevents the firing pin from coming anywhere near the primer unless the trigger is pulled.

At the range the other week we had some mice scampering around the indoor range. I was tempted to try to take them out with my .22lr pistol I was using at the time but I thought better due to potential ricochet. Instead I made my "Broom O' Justice" connect with their tiny heads.

But what happens if the hammer is cocked first, and then the gun is dropped? If the hammer slips off the sear I think it will fire.

No it won't.

The hammer block and the "rebound slide" are moved out of the way by the trigger, and the trigger only.

If you have a S&W revolver with a hammer-mounted firing pin, try this:

1. Make sure the gun is unloaded and pointed in a safe direction.
  2. Dry fire it, and keep the trigger pulled all the way back with your finger.
  3. Look at the side of the revolver, in the gap between the recoil shield and the cylinder. You should see the firing pin.
  4. While still looking at the firing pin, release the trigger. See the firing pin retract? That's because the hammer rebound pushed it back, and the hammer block reset. The only time the hammer block allows the firing pin to go near the primer is if the trigger is pulled all the way back.

An alternative method is to put a primed case in the cylinder, put the gun in a vise, and bash the back of the hammer with a rock until it falls. If the primer detonates, I'll buy you a new gun.

S&W has had these features in their revolvers for about 100 years. The hammer block was changed from a spring operated block to a more-positive cam operated version during WWII after an accident in which a sailor was killed by a dropped "Victory" model. It was found that the action was gummed up with hardened cosmoline (and possibly that some parts were broken or corroded) and these malfunctions allowed the gun to fire when dropped. Since WWII, all S&W revolvers have the improved safety systems in place.

In the diagram below, the rebound slide is part #035, the hammer block is part #034:

swrevolverb.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom