Wolf, Brown Bear, Tula, etc .223/5.56

I have a M&P ORC and was wondering how bad is the steel cased ammo with copper bullets? I know it can be much dirtier but I typically won't shoot more that 500 rounds each range trip and clean all my guns after every range trip also. The significant cost difference (around $70 per 500 rnds) makes a big difference. Will it damage or cause premature wear on the gun?
Thanks,
Eric

On average, I shoot 2-5k rounds per month only varying on who can stock cheap ammo.

I shoot an assload of tula/wolf/brown bear. Through my AKs and ARs I've never had a problem, the most I've ever shot in a single trip was 1.2k out of my AR with I think brown bear and I had no issues whatsoever. My AR only has issues when I neglect cleaning it between trips, which I've only done once and that's was with reloads anyway.

IMO, get the cheapest shit you can possibly find. Timed, I take just about 2.5 minutes to give a fantastic clean to my Glock and about 3.5 minutes for a quality clean in my AK, including oil. Clean your shit after every trip and it doesn't matter how dirty the rounds you shoot are.

I have about 3,000 rounds of Herter steel .223 I bought @ Cabela's stashed away for when TEOTWAWKI comes. It seemed like a good investment for the price. Years ago I bought a couple hundred rounds of Wolf .223 from FS and it fired fine through my Bushie, but it seemed pretty dirty. I rarely have time to shoot, much less clean my guns so I stick to the brass.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Ammunition/Rifle-Ammunition|/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104532480/Herters-223-Remington-Ammunition/1084963.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/shooting-ammunition-rifle-ammunition/_/N-1100190/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104532480?recordsPerPage=99999&avad=74383_e3261997&WT.mc_id=al56335&rid=12&WT.tsrc=AFF

That cabelas herters stuff is trash accross the board. Its very underpowered (as tried on 4+ rifles). Good for practicing malfunction drills though. Definitely wouldnt hold on to it for a rainy day. Burn through it as practice ammo.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

If you have a piston system the the cheap steel case ammo works great for practice. Atleast mine works fine with zero issues

I have about 3,000 rounds of Herter steel .223 I bought @ Cabela's stashed away for when TEOTWAWKI comes. It seemed like a good investment for the price. Years ago I bought a couple hundred rounds of Wolf .223 from FS and it fired fine through my Bushie, but it seemed pretty dirty. I rarely have time to shoot, much less clean my guns so I stick to the brass.

This! I recently started reloading 223 also but when I just want to have fun or let new people use my AR, I use Herter's from Cabelas which is just re-branded Tula. They have good pricing on their bulk packs. Buy 2 500 packs, use a $20 off coupon, and pick up a discounted gift card and you can get a thousand rounds and two dry boxes for around $200. Never had a problem with the ammo.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Ammunition/Bulk-Ammunition|/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/106633080/Herters-223-Ammunition-with-Dry-Storage-Box/734635.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-ammunition-bulk-ammunition%2F_%2FN-1104709%2B4294759021%2FNe-4294759021%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_106633080%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd1084963%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd1084963%3Bcat106633080

That cabelas herters stuff is trash accross the board. Its very underpowered (as tried on 4+ rifles). Good for practicing malfunction drills though. Definitely wouldnt hold on to it for a rainy day. Burn through it as practice ammo.

Mike

I don't plan to fire it on a rainy day, I was thinking more as ballistic wampum for when TEOTWAWKI ( The End Of The World As We Know It ) / Zombie Apocolypse occurs. It's in 500 round spam cans. I've got plenty of brass for my guns.

I won a sniper match with the 55gr Hornady steel it used to be $254 a case of 1000 now it's crazy expensive
Of course its more expensive now......they have special new steel that doesn't wear out your AR....
serious note: is hornady steel match boxer or berdan primed?

Of course its more expensive now......they have special new steel that doesn't wear out your AR....
serious note: is hornady steel match boxer or berdan primed?

Berdan primed.

This is 223 Hornady 55gr. Steel Match Hollow Point Ammo. Steel Match ammunition is loaded at the Hornady factory with optimized propellant for each load that provides consistency and the highest levels of accuracy. Utilizing coated steel cartridge cases, and non-corrosive berdan primers, Steel Match ammunition delivers Hornady quality and performance, but with an economical price (saves as much as 40% when compared to brass case match ammo). This ammo comes packed in 50rds. per box.

I have almost 1000 rounds of Wolf Military Classic through my AR with no problems at all. It doesn't seem to be any dirtier than Federal XM193. I recently chrono'd some with qmmo at the range and we found about a 200 fps difference in muzzle velocity between rounds, deviation was pretty big too, but it went bang every time, even when run through his rifle set up with a slide fire stock. I find accuracy to be pretty good in general. Can't beat the price unless you reload.

fired 60 rounds of tula 223 last weekend. didnt have any cycling issues but did notice on all of spent casings that the rim was damaged. is this something to be worried about? I saw BCM sells an extractor spring kit upgrade. would that help?

Back
Top Bottom