Wolf, Brown Bear, Tula, etc .223/5.56

I have a M&P ORC and was wondering how bad is the steel cased ammo with copper bullets? I know it can be much dirtier but I typically won't shoot more that 500 rounds each range trip and clean all my guns after every range trip also. The significant cost difference (around $70 per 500 rnds) makes a big difference. Will it damage or cause premature wear on the gun?
Thanks,
Eric

Steel case ammo in general is dirtier and weaker than quality brass cased. If your rifle has a tight chamber, the steel cases may stick, causing lots of headaches. If something in the gas system of your rifle is not quite right, it may run ok with full power 5.56, but the weaker steel case rounds will case feeding or ejecting problems.

If it feeds and ejects properly, and is accurate enough for you, shoot it! It will not cause any premature wear and tear. I would recommend buy just a couple hundred rounds to try, before buying a truckload.

I mix steel and brass ammo so I can keep the cost of a range trip down. Although i havent had a lot of personal experience, I've shot at least 500 rounds through my 14.5 inch mid length and I've only experienced one FTE. There has been no reason for me to believe that steel cased ammunition has any negative impact on my system in the short term. Until something gives way, I'm going to continue to utilize steel cases ammo. Even if a part does wear down faster than normal, the cost of replacement won't out weigh the savings of cheaper ammo. YMMV.

Curious why ? I was about to pick up a thousand rounds next week. Have put about 200 through my gun so far.

just my personal pet peeve i guess. i figure if you can afford the 1000+ for the gun you would afford the ammo it was designed to use.

i run steel case through my AK's and SKS, but not anything nice that i actually care about.

I shoot steel thru all my firearms. The only issues I have had are light primer strikes with the 9mm. I just eject that round and try it a second time in another mag. Bang the second time around.

Maybe about 400 rounds of Tula and Brown Bear through my M&P 15 without a problem. It is a little dirtier and a lot weaker but it's fun range ammo. I found that Wolf was very powerful and had a bigger muzzle flash. I will be on the look out of Wolf WPA. Good luck, you should be fine with your AR.

Sent from my carbon covered iPhone

I have had no problems with steel case, and it's no dirtier than milsurp, as far as I can tell. Barnaul (new wolf, brown bear, silver bear) is outstanding.

My AR loves to eat steel junk. Perfect ammo for the range if you are just punching paper and your gun doens't have any issues with it. I get Tula whenever it's available at Walmart. Do I prefer brass? sure. But for the price, I will shoot steel all day long.

My AR loves to eat steel junk. Perfect ammo for the range if you are just punching paper and your gun doens't have any issues with it. I get Tula whenever it's available at Walmart. Do I prefer brass? sure. But for the price, I will shoot steel all day long.

This. You can tell the power that brass has over the low powered steel case ammo but whatever, it goes bang. No muzzle flash and slightly less loud.

Sent from my carbon covered iPhone

I've seen zinc plated steel staring to come around, may try it. In theory that should at least not be as harsh on the extractor which is I only run it in my AK's which were obviously made for it.

It's fine. You might need to replace an extractor after about 10,000 rounds.

You think your hardened steel extractor is going to be affected by the mild steel cases of Wolf and Tula?

You think your hardened steel extractor is going to be affected by the mild steel cases of Wolf and Tula?

I don't know. Fire 10,000 rounds of it and let me know.

I've got about 7k rounds of Wolf and Tula thru mine. It's been fine. I'm down to my last case of it as I've started reloading which is cheaper than buying steel.

ETA: I replaced my extractor at 5k rounds as a precaution. Not exactly an expensive party hat breaks the bank.

I've got about 7k rounds of Wolf and Tula thru mine. It's been fine. I'm down to my last case of it as I've started reloading which is cheaper than buying steel.

ETA: I replaced my extractor at 5k rounds as a precaution. Not exactly an expensive party hat breaks the bank.

Yes. That's a great idea, I'll be sure to replace mine towards the end of the year. My M&P loves steel cased ammo.

I have thousands upon thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo through my various ARs. There was a bad batch that was sticking in the chamber, but that was several years old. The newer WPA branded Wolf has been flawless.

I have thousands upon thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo through my various ARs. There was a bad batch that was sticking in the chamber, but that was several years old. The newer WPA branded Wolf has been flawless.

Thanks I bought a couple boxes of steal and gonna put it through this weekend see how it goes

HORNADY MAKES STEEL CASE AMMO NOW!!! IT MUST BE GOOD FOR GUNS NOW!!!

I have fed my stag H2 a steady diet for 3+ years.....tight chamber in a 5.56nato chambered rifle,,,,,well it just shouldnt happen.
I have not yet to have a cycleing issue with any steel ammo. ONLY thing is I have had corrosive ammo labeled non corrosive but that was 762x39

Last edited:
My AR eats everything Tula won't lock bolt back 50% time but goes bang just fine with a zero about 1" low compared to Fed at 50yards. Old lacquer case Wolf sucked as the lacquer melted in chamber but the zink plated and the polymer coated stuff is fine with no problems.
dave

I've had no problems firing brass then steel ammo in my s&w (Same range visit). I clean after every trip. Tula, Brown Bear, etc. I have noticed after different types of steel cased ammo, the piles are in different locations after they have been ejected. I think they all use different amounts of powder. (different kick) For the price, steel cased is a lot cheaper and since no problems, I buy a lot of it.

its kinda sad, frik'n commies giveing US what we want cheap fodder for range blasting.....and still nothing from our US manufactures
Hornady steel case is no bargin...

Steel case ammo in general is dirtier and weaker than quality brass cased. If your rifle has a tight chamber, the steel cases may stick, causing lots of headaches. If something in the gas system of your rifle is not quite right, it may run ok with full power 5.56, but the weaker steel case rounds will case feeding or ejecting problems.

If your rifle can't run steel ammo, its time to sell it and buy one that isn't a piece of shit.

End of story.

just my personal pet peeve i guess. i figure if you can afford the 1000+ for the gun you would afford the ammo it was designed to use.

i run steel case through my AK's and SKS, but not anything nice that i actually care about.

Yes but even assuming [falsely] that steel cased ammo causes premature wear your savings should more than cover replacement parts.

That said, I reload for less than half the price of steel cased, and the ammo is much better.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom