• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

wish I saw this sooner "Make your own railroad spike Knife"

this could be really handy as a shiv after they round up all of our guns and put us newly inadvertent felons into prison....
[wink]

btw, wouldn't it be a better knife if it was made out of better steel, like a truck leaf spring or something. Railroad spikes are going to be low grade steel.

Last edited:
this could be really handy as a shiv after they round up all of our guns and put us newly inadvertent felons into prison....
[wink]

btw, wouldn't it be a better knife if it was made out of better steel, like a truck leaf spring or something. Railroad spikes are going to be low grade steel.

Sounds like a scrap yard run before taking the class... Or we order up some good steel pieces to work with... Maybe some O1, or even AUS8 would be nice.

Railroad spikes have a low carbon content and do not harden or hold an edge well. they are good to practice your hammer control and color/temperature range recognition on.

a good starting point for rookies ,and cool art.

Sounds like a scrap yard run before taking the class... Or we order up some good steel pieces to work with... Maybe some O1, or even AUS8 would be nice.

I think we might be diverging from the idea of the class...

That said, even the "high carbon" railroad spikes are only 0.35 percent carbon. 1035 steel doesn't harden (a good quality in a spike, not so good in a knife).

Now, if we took a piece of 1080 or 1095 and forge welded it to the spike, we could still end up with a knife from a spike that happens to have a hardenable edge to it. It would teach one more technique and end up with a better knife.

Just got this response to my email:

Hi Rob,
We certainly can. Once you have your group together I can coordinate with the instructor to find a suitable date. Please let me know if you have any preferences regarding days & times, or if you would like to come take a tour of the facility sometime.
Best,
Angela Pasceri
Executive Director at The WorcShop
Www.theworcshop.com
774-545-0720

So who is in?

Hi Rob,
We certainly can. Once you have your group together I can coordinate with the instructor to find a suitable date. Please let me know if you have any preferences regarding days & times, or if you would like to come take a tour of the facility sometime.
Best,
Angela Pasceri
Www.theworcshop.com
774-545-0720

So who is in?

Yes (again)

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Rob Boudrie Just got this response to my email:

Hi Rob,
Best,
Angela Pasceri
Www.theworcshop.com
774-545-0720

So who is in?

Yes again

Maybe...

I've always wanted to start learning blacksmithing, but IN only depending on time, cost, loc... (aka I can't do $2000 in Berkshire on wed morning)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have asked the Worcshop to set a Sunday date (excluding a couple for selfish reasons). Once I have a date and payment info, I will post it.

I'd be interested in this. Depends on date/time and cost. With a new mouth to feed in the house it's not as easy to pick up and do something.

Hi Rob,
Best,
Angela Pasceri
Www.theworcshop.com
774-545-0720

So who is in?
Yes. In.

Back
Top Bottom