Winter Weekend Practice run...

...but what is your intention for use?

It is a shelter.

When it rains it keeps me dry.

It protects me from the wind.

When it is cold I use it to help retain the heat from the stove.

For car camping with the family, I add the bug nets and cots.

I'm thinking about making my own tipi. I can't justify $800-1300 for what amounts to silnylon triangles sewn together with a kevlar square for a stove and a KKY zipper. I can buy silnylon for ~$7/yd (60" width). I already have a bunch of kevlar for the stove sleeve from another project. I figure I can probably make a tipi with a collapsible carbon center pole for about $400.

I already own a few high end tents including a Big Agnes UL4 and a North Face VE 25. I justified those because all five of us back pack and an enclosed tent and rain fly are a bit harder to make, so the tipi would be more of a toy.

I have been looking for patterns online also. I have an old woodsmans book from the early 1900s that has a tipi design in it for canvas but I can find it anywhere. From what I have been reading it is fairly straightforward. I just need to find the time.

Thanks Andy I knew you do a lot of backpacking, car camping now it makes sense.

Does your tipi have an inner wall for up draft for a fire and a damper?

Thanks Andy I knew you do a lot of backpacking, car camping now it makes sense.

I wouldn't say I do a lot of backpacking (last true backpacking trip was an overnighter last summer that included a trek up Mt. Marcy - never did a trip report for that one), but when I do backpack I don't take the 8-man tipi and stove - together they weigh around 14 lbs. I reserve them for car camping or winter camping when I am pulling a pulk (mine is the one with the yellow cover):

For backpacking I like to use the Hennessy Hammock (2.5 lbs.) as a shelter in the temperate months:

And in the winter I like the Kifaru Super Tarp (1.6 lbs.):

It also has its own little stove (3.8 lbs.) for warmth / cooking:

Does your tipi have an inner wall for up draft for a fire and a damper?[/QUOTE]

It has a liner, but only to protect from condensation - not for drafting fires. That said, I've never used the liner as it adds bulk, weight and reduces space inside the tipi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never heard back from Primus Customer Service, but a touch of J B Weld seemed to do the job in repairing the cook-pot lid handle.

I heated up several pots of water on the wood stove this weekend with no problem.

Back
Top Bottom