Winter Weekend Practice run...

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
Last weekend I had a few buddies over to practice winter camping skills in preparation for another trip early next month.

Some had more experience than others, but all contributed to the learning process. We stayed close to the backdoor of the house in case we met with a minor (or major) catastrophe and had to bail. Otherwise it was pretty typical stuff… cooking in the tipi, splitting wood, talking shop.

We used my Kifaru 8 man tipi for shelter and the large stove for warmth.

Here is a short video of the stove running at full blast and un-dampened. We didn't quite get the stove pipe red all the way to the stove jack, but were able to get a nice flame to shoot out the top. Normally I wouldn't run the stove like that, but when I have new people in the tipi I like to show them what the system can do and what it is capable of. Even with all the heat escaping it the stovepipe, the interior of the tipi gets very warm!

[video=youtube_share;XCIeHAaNu_o]http://youtu.be/XCIeHAaNu_o[/video]

Friday night the temp got down to -17*F. The stove doesn't run through the night, but we all did well with no problems. We had mostly USGI sleep systems; a couple of MSS's and an old school USGI down filled bag. For ground protection we used a combination of USGI casualty blankets, USGI closed cell foam mats, commercial closed cell foam mats and a one DownMat Exped air mattress. Everyone ended up with at least two layers of insulation underneath them.

I used a small digital thermometer with a wireless remote to collect data on the temperature ranges over the weekend. The top number represents the time of day, the middle number is the inside temp and the bottom number is the remote temperature. In this case the remote sensor was placed just a few feet outside the tipi. By morning it had "warmed up" to -14*F outside and the temp inside the tipi was right a zero. Look close enough and you can see frost on the face and side of the thermometer.

Just a little while later after the sun was peeking over the trees (and likely hitting the sensor) and running the stove, the temps had changed a little bit. In this photo the thermometer is about 18" away from the stove. My buddy was really excited and amazed with what the tipi and stove can do for keeping everything comfortable.

For breakfast I wanted eggs and sausage.

Cooking the sausage was no problem, but is seems as if "OBL" has turned over a new leaf and was eager to try some pork sausage - with a spoon no less!

On the other hand the eggs were frozen (as expected).

I used a small cook pot and set the egg container in it. I placed it on the stove for a short time until the eggs thawed out just a little bit.

In just a short time the eggs were ready to pour into the pan and scrambled up "cowboy style".

Using an "improvised plate" that had been toasted on the stove, everyone got a good helping of scrambled eggs - yummy!

Later in the day we went for a snowshoe hike and collected a little bit of firewood.

We mostly just grabbed some small branches that were blocking the trail, snapped them into appropriate sizes and stuffed them into our packs. This certainly isn't enough wood to get through the basic bivouac routines and tasks, but it added to what wood we already had on hand.

After getting back we heated up a bunch of tea and hot chocolate to stay hydrated. We also spent some time listening to the weather report on the HAM radio and trying to strike up a conversation with another station - but no luck.

After it was dark, but before dinner we went on a night snowshoe hike which was really fun – we stopped from time to time just to listen to the sounds of the woods. We could still hear the planes flying over on their approach to MHT and the road noise on NH 124, but there is just something about night hiking (especially in the snow) that we all like.

Just a quick and uneventful video of us traipsing along in the dark on snowshoes:

[video=youtube_share;oEpC9Y6dXz4]http://youtu.be/oEpC9Y6dXz4[/video]

During one of the halts we stopped to snap a photo of the night excursion. Barely visible in the background sky is the tiny sliver of the waxing moon.

My friend had a bunch of freeze dried food that was good (by freeze dry standards), but I stuck with my sausage / veggie meals. The young man in the background in sneakers and jeans is my son, who wasn't camping out with us, but walked out to see how we were doing. He stayed long enough to eat most of my GORP and then went back into the house.

I ended up breaking the handle off the lid of my Primus cook pot. It was the spot weld that broke loose. I was trying to scrape snow off the floor of the tipi to melt into water. I will have to contact them and see if they can fix it or sell me a new top. I really like that cook set as it nests well with a Nalgene bottle and heats just enough water to make a couple of cups of tea in. The lid has a non-stick coating on the inside, so I'm not sure if it the spot weld can be redone. Maybe some J-B Weld would work?

Before:

After:

If you look at the back wall, you can see the frost line that encircles the radius of the tipi. This corresponds with the height of the stove itself. One of the great things about using a wood stove in a shelter for heat vice sitting in front of a camp fire with a lean-to at your back is that there is no "cold side" to your body - in the tipi you are warm all around.

The temp on Saturday night go down to only 0*F, so not bad at all. Sunday morning we woke up, packed the gear and took everything inside. My buddy wanted to get on the road early as he had a long drive back home and wanted to be in front of the returning holiday traffic.

Can't wait to do it again next month!

Last edited:
BZ on the post. You are getting a lot of mileage out of that GI mess kit. The tipi and stove sure makes winter camping less of an "adventure". One of the things I picked up from you winter camping is collecting snow in a stuff bag to melt. I am regretting I missed this as I knew I would. Again nicely done.

That's awesome. A buddy of mine at work convinced me to go on a three-day/two-night trip with him "in the woods". I have a feeling there won't be much hiking but we'll be roughing it. I'm thinking of a tarp or poncho setup with a mil surp modular sleep system.

I think I saw some of the modular sleep systems in those photos. How'd those do with what you used on the ground? I hate being cold, but I don't want unnecessary sleep pads, either.

I think you guys had the right amount of roughing for me. Rough, but not too rough.

I think I saw some of the modular sleep systems in those photos. How'd those do with what you used on the ground? I hate being cold, but I don't want unnecessary sleep pads, either.

We had mostly USGI sleep systems; a couple of MSS's and an old school USGI down filled bag. For ground protection we used a combination of USGI casualty blankets, USGI closed cell foam mats, commercial closed cell foam mats and a one DownMat Exped air mattress. Everyone ended up with at least two layers of insulation underneath them.

My comfort level for sleeping (and therefore rest and recovery) went way up after I started using two closed cell foam pads in the winter. It went way up again after I started using the air mattress. At a minimum, I would carry one full-length pad and one half-length pad.

bring the pads

+1

Yes, foam pads are light, two foam pads are light, throw a survival blanket between them and you will be surprised at how warm they are

+2

Nice setup. Next improvement I would make is adding a secondary burn chamber to the stove. You're losing a lot of heat up the pipe and accelerating your burn rate but not slowing the upper combustion down that is making your stack glow. I have a two tier stainless stove I made that works wonders and extends time between tending.

Next improvement I would make is adding a secondary burn chamber to the stove.

Agreed - an associate of mine has this stack robber to do just what you suggested. It is one of the things I need to get going on, but haven't found the time.

robber1.jpg

Andy, what was the weight?
Tipi, stove, and all that went with it?

The tipi weights a little over 7 lbs. and the stove weights just under 7 lbs.

I love your threads.

Thanks man! [thumbsup]

That pic is similar to mine, except mine is nearly the same length as my main chamber (but fits inside the main for travel) and has flats on either side for heating/boiling cups. It's 5.7lbs with just the first stack at 64" tall. I have a 5' extension stack and sleeve that adds about 0.5lbs. I'll post pics up tonight.

Meh.

Not enough detail, needs more pix.

[laugh]

Awesome post. You do what I suggest many preppers do, but don't: Practice!

I think when you post "real" data ( like the temps), as well as subjective stuff, it makes it more usable.

Thanks for another AinNH post.

Reps inbound.

...mine is nearly the same length as my main chamber (but fits inside the main for travel)... I'll post pics up tonight.

One of my "excuses" for not moving forward with the project is trying to determine how big the chamber should be. I know it needs to be larger than the stovepipe and the stove collar, but I am not sure how much bigger, or if it can be too big? My stove packs flat, so I don't need to be concerned with the stack robber fitting inside.

Thoughts?

Looking forward to your pics.

In general it should be at least 1/2 the volume of your main chamber and 2/3 is better, it should be sealed on all edges and should contain a divider to make the gas flow out to the side, up, back to the middle, then out your pipe.

Some air should be allowed to enter between the main chamber and secondary chamber to add oxygen and aid in combustion. Not a huge gap or hole, but it shouldn't be a super tight fit.

I took the pics of it collapsed and set up already. Once I corral the kids to bed tonight I'll get them up and post them.

In general it should be at least 1/2 the volume of your main chamber and 2/3 is better, it should be sealed on all edges and should contain a divider to make the gas flow out to the side, up, back to the middle, then out your pipe.

Some air should be allowed to enter between the main chamber and secondary chamber to add oxygen and aid in combustion. Not a huge gap or hole, but it shouldn't be a super tight fit.

I took the pics of it collapsed and set up already. Once I corral the kids to bed tonight I'll get them up and post them.

Great info - thanks.

Here is the diagram my associate provided:

robbersmall.jpg

That pic is what I did with mine, see pics towards the bottom for inside shots.

OK, so here we go. Starting with everything packed up. These pics only show one section of stove pipe, so sub 6 pounds. About 12" long and 5.5" in diameter for the main chamber. Tape measure in pic for scale.

1_zps0b38a54d.jpg

Now everything laid out. The bolts are the feet that screw into nuts welded to the bottom of the main chamber. The short perforated tube connects the main to secondary and the tall perforated tube is the secondary to stovepipe connector. When using the additional 5' pipe extension (not pictured) I use another perf tube identical to the tall one. The roll on the far right top is the stove pipe. It's made of spring steel and held rolled up by stainless figure eight lanyards that later get used to hold the pipe rolled and tie loosely to a stabilizing rod (in a tipi you would use the center support). When you remove the lanyards from the roll the stove pipe unrolls itself and snap rolls itself into the pipe shape lengthwise.

2_zps192744af.jpg

Small tube inserted into main chamber:
3_zps385293bd.jpg

Secondary inserted:
4_zps1a5ea233.jpg

Stovepipe support tube inserted:
5_zps2d615732.jpg

Stovepipe allowed to unroll, note it's not held with the lanyards yet, this is it's natural state:
6_zps934ac910.jpg

Pipe mounted with lanyards on:
7_zpse7a7889b.jpg

Overall height shown, 64 inches:
8_zps30d9f2f6.jpg

Cup and pan shown:
9_zps0741ac86.jpg

Now two pics of the secondary internals. Best two I could get, one from top, other from bottom. The screen keeps embers and ash from escaping ensuring complete burn and limiting the possibility of catching very expensive and highly flammable silnylon tipis and tents on fire.
10_zps9558e148.jpg

11_zps1a582ec3.jpg

Ans finally two pics of storing the secondary in the main:
12_zps5dabae23.jpg

13_zps12734918.jpg

Any questions let me know. Any comments on the very crappy welding will be negged [laugh] I TIG welded this stove as my first attempt on this deisgn. It was a total bitch because of the very thin gauge I used to keep weight down. A lot of cursing went into this first little guy.

Last edited:
Andy I always liked the shanty idea and it looks really nice, but what is your intention for use?

Back
Top Bottom