Winter War Finned 91/30

Despite my best efforts, I could not walk away from this Mosin when I spotted it at a large Southern Maine retail outlet that is close to the NH border. Thanks to Martin and his thread here, I knew what it was when I picked it up:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...2-And-First-41-Marked-Mosin-for-Me?highlight=

While I have been trying not to expand the Mosin branch of my collection and instead conserve the funds for the other branches, I just liked this gun too much and could not pass it up at the $110 price tag.

It is a 1938 Izhevsk 91/30 that was captured by the Finns in the Winter War with the 41 mark and the stacked front sight. No numbers match and is a mix of Izhevsk and Tula parts. I especially liked the stock, which also has the remnants of CCCP cartouche.

I do have one question for the Mosin experts. The added serial number with what looks like an asterisk, was that done by the Finns or the importer?

Thanks for looking.

View attachment 26671View attachment 26670View attachment 26669View attachment 26672View attachment 26673View attachment 26674View attachment 26675View attachment 26676View attachment 26677View attachment 26678

Last edited:
I was in there a week ago Thursday thinking - "These are interesting but I really have no idea of what I'm looking at or what to look for." Ah well, education is a gradual process. Enjoy your find!

I was in there a week ago Thursday thinking - "These are interesting but I really have no idea of what I'm looking at or what to look for." Ah well, education is a gradual process. Enjoy your find!

I would not have known what it was either if it was not for the thread I linked to in the OP. Knowledge is everything in collecting. It is also dangerous as you keep finding bargains you just have to buy. Ignorance would be a lot cheaper. :)

Wow. Missed this one for a few days, Niner. Good eye, sir.

These are some of the best bargains still out there, IMO. When you look at captured Mausers at $400 and up, a Mosin is still a deal at usually $200 and under. The 41 stamped guns are also less common than other Finn captures.

Back
Top Bottom