Winter pack out

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx166/alex_thompson4/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsac2aa121.jpg

20Uploads/image_zpsac2aa121.jpg.html]
image_zpsac2aa121.jpg
[/URL]

fubar right on....;-)
1. square ft?
2. do you have water and septic yet?

Thanks. its a 16 foot one room shack. with an added 8 x 16 " kitchen."

Woodstove , propane stove, outhouse, a rain collection system . and a shallow ( 48 foot ) well. Everything is in a permanent state of upgrade.

10 acres of mixed pine, oak and scrubby blueberry ground cover. All kinds of local beasties running around. the Saco river is about 50 yards from this picture , on the high side of the river ( no flood threat ).

I am going to paint the roof this spring , because I can see it on Google Earth.

Lots of empty space nearby with a few full time residents who know me and get along just fine.

probably going to build a full and real house there in the next few years.

Regarding winter pack out. ...

I do have an Altoids tin with cotton ball/Vaseline and a magnesium & flint kit ; it lives in a ziplock baggy with a bic lighter. I tried it out at home , I've broken it out to " teach " interested kids. In real life , the northeast boonies are so full of pine trees that I've never needed it , rain , ice or snow.

I find that a lightweight axe , like a Hudson Bay , or the Estwing Camper and a bow saw ( mines a take down folding one , are well worth their weight in all seasons if you aren't a micro stove kind of person.

Gators , snow shoes , the best winter boots you can afford , and spare socks are mandatory. A spare hat is overlooked by my. Friends a few times - but if you sweat in the cold , your hat gets wet. It's nice to rotate them.

This is my base list for 2-3 days of recreational winter mountain travel in the Northeast. I've made some favorable assumptions ... no technical climbing, no rain, 0-32 deg F.

I share in hopes people will go out and give it a go ... you can even practice in your backyard.

This list changes in areas more remote than the Northeast, s has htf, rain, no weather forecast, extreme cold, etc.

clothing
2 base layers top and bottom
2 pair wool socks
mid weight fleece top (Polartec Wind Pro)
climbing pants
hardshell jacket / pants
gaiters
down jacket
hat
balaclava
neoprene face mask
ski googles
1 pair lightweight gloves
1 pair waterpoof insulated gloves

food
3-4 liters of water per day
tea / instant coffee
2 oatmeal bars for breakfast each day
5 Clif bars per day
3 energy gels per day
.5 lb trail mix per day
1 high carb dehydrated meal per day

shelter
single wall tent
0 deg sleeping bag (synth)
2 sleeping pads

technical
mountaineering double boot
snowshoes
crampons
mountaineering ice axe
75 liter pack
trekking poles

misc
map
compass
gps
bic lighter
jetboil stove + fuel
insulated mug
spork
swiss army trekker
head lamp + extra batteries
first aid kit
toiletries
length of paracord
duct tape
trash bag

how do you guys find the jetboil/ canister fuel type stoves work in extreme cold? I know they have fuel thats supposed to work better in colder weather but I still use my old, heavy but reliable whisperlite.

how do you guys find the jetboil/ canister fuel type stoves work in extreme cold? I know they have fuel thats supposed to work better in colder weather but I still use my old, heavy but reliable whisperlite.

Even the four season mix struggles below ~20 degrees. Some of the newer stoves can run with the canister inverted which makes them slightly more efficient in cold weather.

The jetboil stoves are not ideal for the worst of winter but it's a convenient setup for backpacking. Ultimately I want a more versatile multi fuel stove like the Whisperlite or Dragonfly. Being able to burn kerosene, unleaded, diesel or jet fuel seems like a good idea.

Thats what I have heard and thats why I stick with the whisperlite. It is piece of mind to also know I can find fuel just about anywhere but it is a good chunk of weight stove+fuel. I might buy something lighter for warm weather use. Sorry for the hijack.

YMMV, but after hiking a buddy with a separated shoulder several miles out of the woods using a torn shirt for a sling I always pack a cheap drugstore arm sling and a roll of gauze in my kit. I just press it all flat in a freezer bag and toss it in the bottom of whatever bag I'm carrying: that poor bastard was absolutely miserable intil we got him to the the ER.

Posted from my car phone.

I would agree with some others on the cutting tools. I would ditch the axe - too much weight, too many calories and too much energy to use. I would get either the SAWvivor or the Sven saw. Then pair it with a large fixed blade survival knife like the RTAK-2 which you use to baton the logs.

I would also consider MREs and plastic flatware. Pair it with a survival straw if near a water source. That way you don't need to pack in as much weight on the food and cooking wares nor doing dishes.

Last edited:
Andy I forgot Feb vacation , so Next couple weeks hopefully. I'm biting at the bit to get going.

I used mini stoves most of my teen years backpacking. But now 30 yrs later I just enjoy cooking over a open fire. I find it satisfying knowing in most places these days you cannot do such God given rights.
So I do it.
As far as tool heavy. There is no way in the world I will go into snow woods without an ax and depend on a folding saw...again!

MRE's suck. I'll bring a sirloin + potatoes all day. Protein,fats and carbs.
I have an aqua mirror, but water isn't a problem with 3 ft of snow. I forgot to say I have this roll up solar shower, it weights nothing. Fill it with snow and leave it near the fire.

Last edited:
Along the lines of the solar shower I heard and read about just putting snow in a black plastic trash bag. Exposure to the sun melts the snow. I imagine there is some point where the temps are just too cold to work. I've been meaning to try this and wonder if it would work while moving.

I would agree with some others on the cutting tools. I would ditch the axe - too much weight, too many calories and too much energy to use. I would get either the SAWvivor or the Sven saw. Then pair it with a large fixed blade survival knife like the RTAK-2 which you use to baton the logs.

I would also consider MREs and plastic flatware. Pair it with a survival straw if near a water source. That way you don't need to pack in as much weight on the food and cooking wares nor doing dishes.

Just an FYI on the Life Straw, they work great, but if the water you are drinking tastes like shit without the straw it still takes like shit, only it's safe. Just thinking about the plastic bag taste from trash bags you may get.

Back
Top Bottom