Winter pack out

jmjkd

Instructor
2 night mountain trip

Pack, Tent, poncho
Sleeping bag, pad & blanket

Fry pan & pot, steel wool, food and drink, trash bag, canteen, cup, filter, io tabs

19 in ax
Folding saw
5 in knife, folding knife, multi tool, sharpener, safety pin and needle.

Head lamp extra bat's, small hand held, pin light.
Redundant fire kit.
Possible pouch
Duct tape, 550 and bank line
1-camenga
Small FAK
extra- socks, long underwear, gloves, hat.
Snow shoes.
Security piece.

Sounds like an awful lot of cutting tools. Are you trying to build a shelter? You can split firewood with the knife/baton. Although 5" is a bit short for decent sized logs. You can just bang a branch against a tree to get it to firewood length, reducing the need for the saw. Folding saws are light, though.

Dry bags or more garbage bags.

I learned during my recent winter hike/camp that we needed stuff for bad cuts. My buddy cut his thumb BAD and it was a long day getting us out of there. I picked up some QuickClot type stuff at Target that would have been very helpful when we were trying to stop the bleeding. I'm not sure if your kit has that, but I'd add it if not. Trauma shears would have been nice too.

Hiking poles / microspikes. Oops, I see snowshoes. Although snowshoes are cumbersome when bushwacking.

Camp stove. This can be as simple as a cat can stove (google it) and some denatured alcohol or Heet. We got screwed up by a washed out bridge and didn't get to our campsite until almost dark. 1/2 hour longer and we would have been foraging for wood in the dark. Heating water without a campfire is something to consider.

Balaclava for sleeping. You don't want your face in the sleeping bag or your bag will get wet and you'll get cold.

Sunglasses. Snow is bright.

A compass and a map of the area. I prefer a topo map.

Last edited:
Suggestion for option other than jumping straight to quick clot. HemCon makes bandaids in several different sizes with clotting agents in them. They are very effective. Yes they are expensive.

2 night mountain trip

How far?

Elevation?

Weight?

Weather conditions?

Pictures?

What did you cook and how?

Tips or tricks that worked? Didn't work?

Did you see or do anything interesting?

All you have done so far is type a list of equipment. The internet is full of lists.

2 night mountain trip

Pack, Tent, poncho
Sleeping bag, pad & blanket

Fry pan & pot, steel wool, food and drink, trash bag, canteen, cup, filter, io tabs

19 in ax
Folding saw
5 in knife, folding knife, multi tool, sharpener, safety pin and needle.

Head lamp extra bat's, small hand held, pin light.
Redundant fire kit.
Possible pouch
Duct tape, 550 and bank line
1-camenga
Small FAK
extra- socks, long underwear, gloves, hat.
Snow shoes.
Security piece.

Last edited:
Crazy Glue (or any cyanoacrylate glue) works great as a wound closure. Works best on non-flex/non-joint areas.

Assuming you are a doc from the name, so asking your professional advice... i know my vet friend told me he closes cat neutering with this, but do you have any concerns with a non professional using this in the field regarding sealing in possible infection. If the wound does't get irrigated, etc then you seal with crazy glue, and there are issues, is the treatment option different than if you just put a band aid on it. How do you open a crazy glue sealed wound to clean out (i would figure by cutting it open again?)

If you have triple anti/bacetracin cream, put that in cut first, and then do crazy glue (though those creams seem to be vaseline based, and not sure you can glue with that).

Appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Assuming you are a doc from the name, so asking your professional advice... i know my vet friend told me he closes cat neutering with this, but do you have any concerns with a non professional using this in the field regarding sealing in possible infection. If the wound does't get irrigated, etc then you seal with crazy glue, and there are issues, is the treatment option different than if you just put a band aid on it. How do you open a crazy glue sealed wound to clean out (i would figure by cutting it open again?)

If you have triple anti/bacetracin cream, put that in cut first, and then do crazy glue (though those creams seem to be vaseline based, and not sure you can glue with that).

These are points I considered, too.

We didn't have any crazy glue with us, but sealing in crud was the main reason why we wouldn't have done it if we had some. I'm not sure what Crazy Glue's freezing point is, either. Although if we couldn't stop the bleeding a possible infection is the lesser of two evils. Getting it closed up so we could get out was priority #1.

It was in the single digits when we were out so peroxide would have been useless. What do people bring for cleaning/irrigating wounds in sub-freezing temps? We used some drinking water (but I don't consider that sterile) and antibiotic ointment.

BTW, there is some terrific info on zombiehunters.org forum on survival and medical, a bunch of EMTs, medics, docs, etc chime in.

From what I have read, irrigation, even with drinking water, especially in the US is pretty good. It is the irrigation that they say is important. So with that and some antibiotic ointment, I think they would say that is pretty good field med, especially if you are not out for 3 weeks without having it checked. I am just repeating what I have read on the internet, so pls, don't take this as anything more than that as I am not a medical professional of any sort.

I did not know that peroxide loses its potency in colder temps.

How far?

Elevation?

Weight?

Weather conditions?

Pictures?

What did you cook and how?

Tips or tricks that worked? Didn't work?

Did you see or do anything interesting?

All you have done so far is type a list of equipment. The internet is full of lists.
Andy I haven't gone yet. But it's roughly 1 1/2 miles 30-45 degree pitch up the logging road with 22 inches of snow. The weather outlook is by day hi25 single digits night, w average 10mph. On and off snow. So not bad

I cook over open flame, the menu (typical) couple lbs of meat, some packaged sides to go with it.
Some soup/stew, some granola nutty chewy bars, hot cocoa and a handful of cigars. Maybe some extras stuff we'll see..

People like gear and lists to insert or extract items to their liking. It's fun that's all this is.

Todd I am tool heavy, been dar befoe.... you need an ax to quarter 8-10in frozen logs and that's what's needed for these temps for comfort. I want to accumulate a mass amount of wood for night and morning,and make-shifting or skipping steps regarding fire won't do it. Not up there.
Dry bag for extra clothes.

do you have any concerns with a non professional using this in the field regarding sealing in possible infection. If the wound does't get irrigated, etc then you seal with crazy glue, and there are issues, is the treatment option different than if you just put a band aid on it. How do you open a crazy glue sealed wound to clean out (i would figure by cutting it open again?)

The infection risk is always a concern regardless of the method of closing/covering the wound.
Clean it out as much as possible, hydrogen peroxide works well. Antibiotic ointments also help but not prior to gluing. The cyanoacrylate will not adhere properly. If a wound needs antibiotics, it needs oral/IV antibiotics.

Cyanoacrylate glue rarely needs to be removed. It will wear off in a few days... usually enough time for the wound to go though it's initial healing. If if does need to be removed it is just pull/abraded off, but again it's not usually necessary.

I do a lot of ocular and facial surgery and will sometimes use cyanoacrylate glues with very good effect. In my home I keep krazy glue gel. If something needs sutures then I'd take the wound to the clinic/OR.

Last edited:
another reason to be keeping vodka with you as your goto do everything liquid.[wink] And though is must sting like a MFker if you pour it in an open wound, prob a lot less if you take a few swigs first...

There is always a chance of accident but if you take your time and know your skills the risk is low. Frost bite, hypothermia, twisted knee is more likely.
Small FAK... pain meds, antiseptic gel, bandages, bandana, tape.

I started packing one of those flying carpet plastic sleds that rolls up, if I am going out for a few days and will need to haul firewood they make for excellent wood haulers. They're light and cost is cheap. Just bring enough 550 cord or straps. Work really good if you are shoeing and making a path they can follow, otherwise they have a mind of their own on the hills. They also make good wind blocks around the fire, not too close they will melt..

a bit more suggestions for medical emergencies.

i would suggest to have some supplies to making a Tourniquet, some cuts can be too bad even for quickclot. also surgical glue if you can find it and BF glue for minor cuts. it doesn't weigh much but can save your life.

I like the roll up sled idea. Rolled up around your sleeping pad it won't add much bulk. Hauling wood is much easier with a sled.

if you have 22" of snow - try a quinzee - (igloo)
waaay warmer than a ten
how to build a Quinzee:
http://boyslife.org/outdoors/outdoorarticles/2992/how-to-build-a-quinzee-snow-shelter/
http://www.survivalworld.com/shelters/quinzee.html

ps - tote your gear bungeed to a plastic sled - easier that a backpack

A plastic sled can be a real liability on uneven terrain. One guy in my group had a bad back so he used a sled with rigid poles attached to a harness. We ended up with one guy pulling and one guy holding a rope on the back to keep it from sliding sideways off the trail in off-camber sections or running away on downhill sections. Downed trees were a PITA, too.

I'd love to try building a snow cave (AKA quinzee). I started a few times in the back yard this winter, but rain put an end to it.

I like the roll up sled idea. Rolled up around your sleeping pad it won't add much bulk. Hauling wood is much easier with a sled.

I'd love to try building a snow cave (AKA quinzee). I started a few times in the back yard this winter, but rain put an end to it.

I've stayed in several versions of the quinzee and I don't think they are better than a 4 season tent. You sweat when building them, you get wet when you get in them and they are not always the safest. If it's your only option or you want to try it for experience that's great, but If I have an option I'm going for my warm and dry 4 season tent.

I will have 2- kits one on my belt and one in my pack with assorted bic’s
Wet fire, jute, V&C, 2 fire steels,

Give the cotton ball and Vaseline fire starter a try. Would like to hear if it works in the real world..... I made one at my house and it burned for like 5 minutes....

Give the cotton ball and Vaseline fire starter a try. Would like to hear if it works in the real world..... I made one at my house and it burned for like 5 minutes....
Ashdump the C&V work great all the time as long as you have dead dry combustible tinder and seasoned kindling. It's always my first choice before the expensive stuff. But a cup of gas and a match will be appealing.

I should say this is private property this isn't my first winter journey up there we have been doing this for 20 or so years. I have a trailer and there are 3-4 cabins there as well, but they are all closed up. . We are just checking on our camps. I have wood covered and ready to go plus and out house and if I had to bust into the trailer hell heat and a stove and food. I even have 6-8 conabears in a variety of sizes with bait and lure. But I don't want to open up unless I really have to ...I will burn the wood however...:)

And I know for a fact there is a bottle of Jack in my buddies cabin...I put it there for just this reason...Hehehehehe...
But make no mistake we are up in the boonies it's just nice to know we have a few bail out plans.

I am snow shoeing into my cabin this weekend to check on it as well. Plus just to get the hell out of dodge for a few nights.

The terrain is suitable for a plastic sled for me. Which allows me to carry fun stuff. Like beer , potatoes , beef , ... A full sized long handled shovel.

A few trips in & out and I'll have a nice sled track , a dug out fire pit with a big ass fire and nothing to do for a good long weekend of eating , napping , and doing nothing.

I am snow shoeing into my cabin this weekend to check on it as well. Plus just to get the hell out of dodge for a few nights.

The terrain is suitable for a plastic sled for me. Which allows me to carry fun stuff. Like beer , potatoes , beef , ... A full sized long handled shovel.

A few trips in & out and I'll have a nice sled track , a dug out fire pit with a big ass fire and nothing to do for a good long weekend of eating , napping , and doing nothing.

Need company? [wink]

yup I have the same plan.....i'll shoot off some fire works to say hi...

That sounds like a terrible weekend. [cheers]

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx166/alex_thompson4/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsac2aa121.jpg

20Uploads/image_zpsac2aa121.jpg.html]
image_zpsac2aa121.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
Stayed an extra day , sat , sun , home Monday.

Ate a lot of meat , drank many Guiness & moderate scotch. Burned many sticks. Exhausted the dog and had fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice, did you buy it built or buy the land and then build?

Bought it empty 12 years ago. Gradual build , still n progress. But the upper main half is insulated and has a stove. Lower section still ongoing .... He'll , it's ALL ongoing. But fun.

Back
Top Bottom