• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winter Ham projects?

cockpitbob

NES Member
What's everyone doing now that the cold-dark days are starting? New antennas? Home-brew projects? License upgrades? Hearing what others are doing, expecially you old pro's, is a big help to newbs like me.

I'm finally getting rigged for HF. Got a Craig's List desk is in the basement, and just on the other side of the wall I drove two 8' ground rods (didn't hit any big rocks[grin]). For my first adventures into HF I'm just going to run a long-wire antenna on a remote tuner that claims to cover 180M - 6M. I've got most of what I need to string the wire.

I've got 2 boys, so a crystal radio is in the plan (another use for the long wire) along with soldering up a code oscillator kit (yea, a piezo buzzer and battery would be easier, but the goal is to get the kids soldering).

Good idea for a thread.
Right now my tower is becoming a winter project. I'm past my planned completion date and I probably have another month to go.
This winter I would love to build something useful.
I also want to learn code!!

All my outside work gets done in the spring and fall. Homebrew projects inside when it is cold. I am working on an antenna switching network using vacuum relays.

I have been programming microcontrollers for a few years. I thought I would try building a DDS superhet receiver. If that goes well, maybe work on a transmitter side.

If I can find the time, I'd like to set up tone remotes and desk-sets to my radios so I can control them from various rooms. My problem is that so much of my free time is tied up with repeater work.

I hope to finally get around to putting up the two 440 repeaters I keep meaning to put up. One here in Gardner, and another in Framingham at my dads house. We have everything except the antennas. The output of both would be 40watts, unless a cheap linear amp turns up.
They'll be linked using VoIP.
If we find the radios cheap enough, there's potential for adding a 2 meter repeater to the chain as well.
Hopefully the 440 machine in Framingham doesn't get shut down/restricted to 5 watts output due to its proximity to PAVE PAWS.

Back
Top Bottom