Winter fuel prep

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
[hmmm]

This weekend I realized most of my winter prep was about getting rid of gas with Ethanol!

I've been buying pure Mogas at Hampton airfield and using it in all our small engines: lawn mower, chain saw, string trimmer. This weekend I drained the outboards tanks and the TW200 (dirt bike) and refilled the bike with Mogas for storage.

The combination of emissions controlled carbs and Ethanol gas makes for a lot of work to keep things running right!

Garandman - what are you paying per gallon for ethanol free?

I've been using Pri-G to condition my gas as I have no local source of ethanol free. Last year I had some (conditioned) gas sit in 5 gallon containers for better part of a year and it seemed to run pretty true, but I'd love to get my hands on some of the ethanol free stuff.

I had a scare this weekend when I tried to start my wood splitter. I run it dry and use startron like it's going out of style. I got it started after replacing the spark plug and siphoning out the old gas and replacing it, but I'm getting nervous about using the crap gas they make now in my splitter and generator. I'm going to look at that place in Hudson, NH about getting some ethanol free stuff. I've never had an issue until now, and all I've done is use a ton of startron and run dry.

I have yet to gather enough funds to get my SV650 on the road so I have to store it again, what do I put in the tank garandman? Any info is repped, thanks.

I have yet to gather enough funds to get my SV650 on the road so I have to store it again, what do I put in the tank garandman? Any info is repped, thanks.

al ,
Just add some fuel stabilizer or just drain it and use it in your snowblower.

Or just start it once a week and when you run out of gas add a gallon and repeat .

Garandman - what are you paying per gallon for ethanol free?

I've been using Pri-G to condition my gas as I have no local source of ethanol free. Last year I had some (conditioned) gas sit in 5 gallon containers for better part of a year and it seemed to run pretty true, but I'd love to get my hands on some of the ethanol free stuff.
Last time I bought it at Hampton, NH air field it was $4.95. Self serve pump open dawn to dusk and you need tanks: can't refuel a vhicle.

I had an SV650 and two DL650's (same motor).

First of all, I've found carbureted motorcycles much less finicky than small engines: the carbs are much more sophisticated. Second, I've found fuel injected bikes to be even more robust. I stored my SV with a full tank of mid or high octane and usually use Sta Bil Marine Ethanol Formula. I've also used PRI-G in my boat (100 gallons, stored September to May) and Startron on occasion as well. I haven't used SeaFoam for storage but often add Techron. They all seem to work pretty well.

A battery tender is cheap and will prolong the life of your battery. If you take it out, I set a monthly reminder to put them on an automatic charger: sometimes it only takes minutes.

...And renew your registration in December.

All I use is regular 91 or 93 octane and treat it with Pri-G. Store it in steel NATO cans. I run it through about a dozen small engines and our vehicles. Longest I have had it stored is 2 years and it has worked fine. I dont recommend storing it that long but I wouldnt sweat a year.

When I had a boat I used the startron but they recommended using it with a stabilizer. So I did. Never had a problem and that was storing 70 gallons for 6 to 8 months.

When I got my John Deere lawn tractor the guy said that John Deere stabilizer was the best. Never used though. But they are making the stabilizer formulas better now. I use the red stabil. Never had an issue but I use it in every tank.

I have a push lawn mower and I use it very rarely. It always starts first or second pull.

Another vote for Startron, but having almost 2 acres to mow, I am able to rotate my gas every month or so without a problem, I'm always filling something. My problem is I only have about 30 gallons worth of cans, I need to at least double that.

I have a a Generac that runs on propane, so that fuel is fill it and forget it.

Back
Top Bottom