• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Windham vs mossberg vs S&W AR's

Picked up the Windham today. Ran me $25 more than the Mossberg. Came with a plastic case, sling, and requisite 10 round kiddie magazine. The Mossberg came in a cardboard box w/o a sling. So even if they're identical quality and performance I'm ahead on the Windham with the case and sling, no matter HOW cheap either of those items are. Oh, the Windham came with a yellow chamber flag as well:)

My Uncle was a polisher at S&W back when it was a skilled job. Guns that are going to be blued or nickel have to be polished well. They are just not training people to be gunsmiths, instead of assemblers. The Performance Center has declined as well as other departments due to retirements and lack of foresight to train skilled replacements.

They don't even need to train smiths in house. Places like Pennsylvania Gunsmith School, where I went, churn out a group of certified smiths every month or two. There are a bunch of other schools too. There are more than enough gunsmiths out there. It's just that the big manufactures don't want to hire skilled help for their factories because the think it'll be cheaper to hire unskilled chumps off the street. This comes back to bite them in the ass when aforementioned chumps start churning out garbage and the company has to spend more time and money repairing or replacing defective products.

That being said, I've never had a problem with my Shield or Sport 2.

the Windham rifles seem very well built and accurate. the finish, action and barrel are fantastic considering their prices.

- - - Updated - - -

Picked up the Windham today. Ran me $25 more than the Mossberg. Came with a plastic case, sling, and requisite 10 round kiddie magazine. The Mossberg came in a cardboard box w/o a sling. So even if they're identical quality and performance I'm ahead on the Windham with the case and sling, no matter HOW cheap either of those items are. Oh, the Windham came with a yellow chamber flag as well:)

the thought of anything Mossberg attempting semi-auto fire just makes me cringe.

Last edited:
There are more than enough gunsmiths out there. It's just that the big manufactures don't want to hire skilled help for their factories because the think it'll be cheaper to hire unskilled chumps off the street. This comes back to bite them in the ass when aforementioned chumps start churning out garbage and the company has to spend more time and money repairing or replacing defective products.
Which is why the handgun market, by and large, is dedicated to polymer-framed, striker-fired pistols. Simple construction means cheap labor.

Where did you get your windham what what did you pay? I'm in the market but most shops near me only have M&P and Rugers.

Thanks.

Haven't been able to get a call through to FS, does anyone know if they carry Windhams?

Buddy has a Windham. It is a nice shooter. Anyone have an opinion on a BCM vs Windham upper? Trying to choose between the two for the next build.

BCM seems to be just about 100 bucks more vs a Windham upper.

BCM is going to be much higher quality. Better bbl steel, more uniform chrome lining, all parts are MPI and HP tested and the carrier will have proper staking. BCM QA/QI standards are incredibly high. Biggest draw back I had was my upper was coating with about a gallon of oil for corrosion prevention during shipping. Used two can of brake clean to get it all off.

BCM is going to be much higher quality. Better bbl steel, more uniform chrome lining, all parts are MPI and HP tested and the carrier will have proper staking. BCM QA/QI standards are incredibly high. Biggest draw back I had was my upper was coating with about a gallon of oil for corrosion prevention during shipping. Used two can of brake clean to get it all off.

I wonder if they use a water soluable anti corrosion film. If so a quick was with dish soap and warm water will work well.
I would like to know how many parts each make in house. ?
Also BCM sells LMT and STAG....makes me go Hmmm.
BCM barrels well their standard barrels are Mil spec nothing more nothing less. Advantage is they MPI inspect.
I believe they use 410 on their stainless barrels.
Also BCM doesn't offer a MA compliant model as far as I know and I have yet to see a BCM in a MA store? So that will add to the cost. I also have yet to see a YHM AR for sale in the shops around me.

I won't knock BCM I'm just pointing out some details that may or may not be worth the extra $$$. Personally I will take my chance with a green mountain mil spec barrel to save over another more expensive mil spec barrel ....it's mil spec after all it should be as good as the specs......I will let you decide if that mil spec is good enough for you.

Last edited:
I own a Mossberg, I know "A Mossberg AR?" bought it after the whole Sandy Hook craze. Paid probably a $100 more than I should have for it. But, it shoots the hell out of anything I've ever put through it. I like the ergonomics and the fit and finish of the rifle a lot. Overall it's just as good as any AR-15 in that price point that I've shot.

Just a review from a guy with a weird Mossberg AR.

Back
Top Bottom