Winchester .22 double charge

jaypap

NES Member
Just to let you know I had a problem shooting Winchester Super X .22 Ammo.

I was shooting a S&W 41 when I heard a loud percussion and felt a lot of recoil, also felt somthing hit my face.

The slide was partially open with a bullet that did not go into battery I removed the magizine and the bullet and found the case stuck in the barrel.

The bottom of the cartrige blew off the case, the part labeled Super X that holds the primer hit me in the face,the rest of the case was in the barrel. This is why the next bullet couldn't go into battery.

I have both pieces and I'm trying to reach Winchester it seems the the only way to contact them is by e-mail.

The gun seems to be o.k. but it did scare the crap out of me.

Just thought I'd pass it on, I see a lot of ammo recalls now that I had a problem.

Quality control seems to be laxed for such a important product I consider myself lucky no real injuries or gun damage.

I just got off the phone with Olin they want the round and the rest of the started box approximatley 250 rounds left.

They are sending UPS with a label and I am going to check my gun better.

If the firing pin is stuck, you could've had a slam fire. I doubt it's a double charge or even an over charge - there's just not enough room in a .22 LR case.

Wouldn't a slam fire happen on it's own, as the slide drops? My reading of the OP's post was that it was a bigger bang when he squeezed the trigger.

If the firing pin is stuck, you could've had a slam fire. I doubt it's a double charge or even an over charge - there's just not enough room in a .22 LR case.

O.K. checked the gun thoroughly firing pin moves freely.

It was on the fifth round, loud bang and primer blew off the case, the rest of the case was stuck in the barrel not allowing the next round to chamber.

Olin said they have had recalls the last in 2009 for double charged .22 ammo my box was from 2009 but not effected by the recall.

I will take pictures before I send it off.

The woman had me read all my boxes lot numbers some she dated back to 1999. I guess I should rotate my stock.

Last edited:
I wonder if that gun can fire out of battery. Having a 22 fire out of battery will cause the same problem.. the case will blow up and bits of brass go everywhere.

-Mike

I wonder if that gun can fire out of battery. Having a 22 fire out of battery will cause the same problem.. the case will blow up and bits of brass go everywhere.

-Mike

Mike, the gun was in battery when I pulled the trigger, I was shooting slow fire for bullseyes. The next round would not go into battery because the case was in the barrel. The primer rim separated from the case so the extractor had nothing to pull on.

I just took photos but they don't look great on the camera we will see if they are better when I upload them.

Jay P.

Ok here's the photos not the greatest camera man.

DSCN2454.jpg

DSCN2455.jpg

Back
Top Bottom