Win M1 Donor for Match Rifle? Sacrilege?

Glad you got one of those stocks and it was good enough to use. I was to busy getting other things done and never grabbed one of those stocks for myself.
I need to call franco and see if he will do my 308 stock.
i have 2 stocks to choose from if they are worthy of fiting to the 308. They have ZERO looks just plain jane grain.

Thanks again for the heads up re the stock sale.

Want a new hackberry stock for the 308?

That stock came out awesome.

I have one of those Dupage Tiger Stripe stocks hiding in the rafters for a rainy day.

Took the organ donor to the range for some break-in shooting. Kept to the break-in method recommended to me: Clean after every shot for 10, every other shot for the next 10, then every 5 for the last 10 and good to go. Krieger barrel is a 1:12, and it does not like HXP which is what I used for the first 20 shots. I used a grab bag of leftover match rounds for the next 10:

63jcF0nh.jpg

Vertical stringing on the first 5 was pretty much me. Nice and tight horizontal spread. Next 5 (right side target), I don't know where the hell that flyer came from unless one of the rounds was loaded differently. That's possible, given the literal grab bag ammo I was using. Maybe the 1:12 twist doesn't adequately stabilize 168's? Anyway, the group of the other 4 shots is probably the tightest group I have shot out of a Garand. Looking forward to my next range trip with 155's, which is what this barrel is optimized for.

edit-

Figured out the flyer on second target. Bag had a mix of two different leftovers- 168 Nosler CC loaded to ~2600 fps, and 155 SMK Palma loaded to ~2900 fps. Bit of an oops to mix them but I don't load anything that isn't OK to shoot in my Garands or 1903. Loads I plan to use should be ~2750 with the 155's.

Last edited:
Took the organ donor to the range for some break-in shooting. Kept to the break-in method recommended to me: Clean after every shot for 10, every other shot for the next 10, then every 5 for the last 10 and good to go. Krieger barrel is a 1:12, and it does not like HXP which is what I used for the first 20 shots. I used a grab bag of leftover match rounds for the next 10:

63jcF0nh.jpg

Vertical stringing on the first 5 was pretty much me. Nice and tight horizontal spread. Next 5 (right side target), I don't know where the hell that flyer came from unless one of the rounds was loaded differently. That's possible, given the literal grab bag ammo I was using. Maybe the 1:12 twist doesn't adequately stabilize 168's? Anyway, the group of the other 4 shots is probably the tightest group I have shot out of a Garand. Looking forward to my next range trip with 155's, which is what this barrel is optimized for.

edit-

Figured out the flyer on second target. Bag had a mix of two different leftovers- 168 Nosler CC loaded to ~2600 fps, and 155 SMK Palma loaded to ~2900 fps. Bit of an oops to mix them but I don't load anything that isn't OK to shoot in my Garands or 1903. Loads I plan to use should be ~2750 with the 155's.
Nice it will tighten up after a bit more shooting. Also to some degree my "match" rifle does not like when i change bullet profiles. It takes 10 or so rounds to "settle" .

im completely confused about barrel twist for the most part.
When i asked a old timer who says he was a balistics anylist for the army in the 60s he said
" the faster you spin them the better the bullet must be"
There is no real reason why a 1-10 vs 1-12 cant do the job for any 308 bullet. Heck i think palmer shooters run 155s through 1/14? Pushing them up to 3000fps. Also IIRC the last palmer winner used a 1/10 nosler 155s and varget. My friends son has palmer team dreams. He runs some crazy machined bullets at $1.50 each. His rifle has a 1/13 twist pushes hisxloads hot . He works up until the bolt gets stiff then backs off a tad. He was at 3150fps when i last seen him and we put his rifle over the crony.

So if your bullets are good it should shoot good.
the more precise your bullets are the faster you can push them or should i say spin them. From centered lead cores to jacket thickness.

I will say this , the crown on those kriegers are nice vs the criterion.

Last edited:
After doing some digging, I'm relatively certain this was a Turkish return. Typical signs are the completely stripped GC, yellow-ish foreign wood (new replacement in my case), varnish on hardware, brownish patina on receiver and/or other hardware, dope card attached (new wood, so not on mine), lots of wear for the grade (SG worn like a FG, FG worn like a Rack Grade). All I care about is that my receiver was well in spec and made a good donor for a 'new' match rifle.

The Turkish returns are not getting a lot of love on the CMP forum, excepting a few gems or lucky parts included (WRA, IHC, etc.). I would not be surprised that eventually they could get a more desirable reputation because of some odd reason- probability of WRA parts or something like that. The more serious collectors are an interesting bunch.

Shot a 264/2X in the match last week despite not being able to see most of my shots on the stationary target and some muffed shots in off hand.

So I shot some more 'grab bag' leftover match rounds after a nice round of JB bore cleaner. Targets had a couple flyers high or low in the 8-ring, which was bugging me as to whether or not it was ammo or something going on with the rifle. Wife took some Benadryl for poison ivy, so I grabbed some Creedmoor ammo and went back to the range while she napped:

SUyHOIth.jpg

100 yards, being lazy and shooting from the bench. Shot at 11:00 at edge of 10-ring was first shot on this size target, one click down for the rest. So maybe a 100-7X score, possibly a 99...

I thought the 1:12 barrel would be best with 155's but it seems better with the Creedmoor ammo, which is loaded with 167 Lapua boolits. Anyway, barrel is definitely settling down.

So I shot some more 'grab bag' leftover match rounds after a nice round of JB bore cleaner. Targets had a couple flyers high or low in the 8-ring, which was bugging me as to whether or not it was ammo or something going on with the rifle. Wife took some Benadryl for poison ivy, so I grabbed some Creedmoor ammo and went back to the range while she napped:

SUyHOIth.jpg

100 yards, being lazy and shooting from the bench. Shot at 11:00 at edge of 10-ring was first shot on this size target, one click down for the rest. So maybe a 100-7X score, possibly a 99...

I thought the 1:12 barrel would be best with 155's but it seems better with the Creedmoor ammo, which is loaded with 167 Lapua boolits. Anyway, barrel is definitely settling down.
Im still a bit lost on barrel twist. Still think back to the old coot at HRG that said the better the bullet the faster you can spin which seems oposite for the 1/10 -1/12 switch ? Those lapua 167s have a high BC also.
play around with twist rate calculators and you scratch your head more.

Last edited:
Excepting the first shot, before the one click down, that's about the limit of my iron sight shooting. Was getting a little darker w/ rain clouds coming, so maybe a hair better with better light. The 2 shots at ~5:30 are from me figuring out where to hold for that half minute adjustment, so the rifle and ammo would have grouped much tighter with an optic. Anyway, the 167's are essentially shooting close to perfect in this barrel. I'll play around with 155's again- I have some 155 Midsouth brand Nosler CC's and some SMK Palma 155's as well.

Yeah, the ins and outs of the barrel twist issue is vexing...

Excepting the first shot, before the one click down, that's about the limit of my iron sight shooting. Was getting a little darker w/ rain clouds coming, so maybe a hair better with better light. The 2 shots at ~5:30 are from me figuring out where to hold for that half minute adjustment, so the rifle and ammo would have grouped much tighter with an optic. Anyway, the 167's are essentially shooting close to perfect in this barrel. I'll play around with 155's again- I have some 155 Midsouth brand Nosler CC's and some SMK Palma 155's as well.

Yeah, the ins and outs of the barrel twist issue is vexing...
I have met people who have almost lost their shit trying to tell me my 1/10 twist is way to fast for my cast loads and they wont stabilize....yet they seem to find the 10 ring.

I have met people who have almost lost their shit trying to tell me my 1/10 twist is way to fast for my cast loads and they wont stabilize....yet they seem to find the 10 ring.

Did they think your cast loads would do this at 1/10?

I've done that with light AMAX's (50 grn and/or 40 grn) loaded too hot in .224 and a 1/7 barrel. POOF!

Back
Top Bottom