Will Sig Help Santa?

richc

NES Member
All,

The letter is self-explanatory. It was delivered Fed-ex to Sig today. I've left the dealer name out intentionally, but I do believe the dealer has done everything in his power to help.

We'll see if Sig chooses to help or not. I'll let y'all know.

Cheers,

Rich

December 17, 2008

Mr. Ron J. Cohen
President & CEO
Sig Sauer
18 Industrial Drive
Exeter, NH 03833

Dear Mr. Cohen

I am a loyal owner of SIG products. I currently have a Sig 226 and 232, and have a Sig 556 and 239 on order, as well as a Sig 226 22LR conversion kit. I see a Sig 229 and 220 in my future. I truly appreciate the fine quality and engineering of the Sig product line. You have best of breed products.

Last month my wife asked what I wanted for Christmas. I thought about it for an instant and asked for a Sig 239. As my wife does not have a firearms license it was my responsibility to acquire my own Christmas presents.

Well over a month ago I ordered a Sig 239 and 226 22LR conversion kit from a Sig Sauer dealer. They assured me that these would arrive in plenty of time for Christmas. In fact they felt these items would arrive in a week or two.

As you can probably guess nothing has arrived. My Christmas is looking bleak. My wife and kids will feel really badly if Dad has nothing to open on Christmas morning.

I’ve checked with the dealer on a weekly basis and he says he has contacted Sig repeatedly and they say he just has to wait in line. I sent an email to your customer service folks asking for help and have not received a reply. I know there is great demand for your products right now, but I’m hoping you can find a way to help a fella out.

I’ve placed a large deposit on these items, and am starting to get really nervous. In addition, Sig has a very generous offer of $200 worth of accessories for the purchase of a Sig 239 before December 31st. I am really hoping to take advantage of that offer as well.

So, Mr Cohen, I really would appreciate any help you could provide a loyal and appreciative customer. Can you help make sure I don’t get coal in my stocking this year?

Sincerely,

RichC

Is the delay due to inadequate production? In fairness, I think that the spike in gun buying is probably not warrented. However, whether or not tighter gun laws are coming, you would think that the major companies would increase production and plan their supply and distribution chains accordingly in response to the political climate.

Considering that numerous things have caused gun sales to explode in recent years (Y2K, 9/11, Bill Clinton's election and relection), you'd think that the planning areas of these companies would have been getting ready to respond to an Obama win in the election.

It's possible that Sig does runs of MA compliant guns at certain times of the year and those are now in short supply. The MA compliant Sigs do have different model numbers than the normal ones.

However, whether or not tighter gun laws are coming, you would think that the major companies would increase production and plan their supply and distribution chains accordingly in response to the political climate.

It costs a lot of money to ramp production on anything, guns included. There is always some head room in a supply chain but it is minimal. This is all a result of JIT (just in time) buying where you don't sit on parts for very long before you're using them. Anywhere that breaks down, brings things to a grinding halt right away so best not stress the system.

It's possible that Sig does runs of MA compliant guns at certain times of the year and those are now in short supply. The MA compliant Sigs do have different model numbers than the normal ones.

I like this answer better. They have to drill the ma**h*** out of the barrel (or mill it during production) and use different trigger springs so it is likely they ramp a production line with the right parts on a periodic basis. Trying to do this piecemeal takes a massive infrastructure, which is why the car companies can do it.

Dear Mr. President Elect:

As you may or may not be aware, I disagree with most everything that you have said with relation to firearms. With this in mind, I would like you to consider every forthcoming decision relating to firearms, from the perspective of the average gun owner, before acting on behalf of all Americans to strengthen and secure our Second Amendment rights in the years to come. I realize that you may think that your opinions on the matter, quite different though they are from mine, are "right" or "correct." That's wrong. They aren't. So that means that you'll need to subjugate your opinions. That's all.

I realize that you need to get back to preparing for the presidency. You must be busy. So, remember, when talking about guns. You wrong- Me right. Simple, huh?

Thanks,

R. Duke

I like this answer better. They have to drill the ma**h*** out of the barrel (or mill it during production) and use different trigger springs so it is likely they ramp a production line with the right parts on a periodic basis. Trying to do this piecemeal takes a massive infrastructure, which is why the car companies can do it.

A JIT inventory and manufacturing system would make it possible to do them in line with other production but that's unlikely in a company that size.

Do MA compliant DA/SA Sigs have different trigger springs? I was under the impression the triggers are the same since they're all a 10.5lb DA pull. IIRC, the frames are a bit different since they have the serial number inside somewhere.

Do MA compliant DA/SA Sigs have different trigger springs? I was under the impression the triggers are the same since they're all a 10.5lb DA pull. IIRC, the frames are a bit different since they have the serial number inside somewhere.

I thought they did, but I may have it confused with something else. Keeping track of all the ways we are screwed here in the PRM requires more energy than I am willing to invest.

Considering that numerous things have caused gun sales to explode in recent years (Y2K, 9/11, Bill Clinton's election and relection), you'd think that the planning areas of these companies would have been getting ready to respond to an Obama win in the election.

Sig has a promotion running now that provides about $200 worth of accessories for the purchase of a new pistol (226, 229, 232, 239). Companies that are selling more than they can produce generally don't offer these types of sales incentives.

However the issue of availability of MA compliant inventory makes a lot of sense.

Rich

No. The springs supplied with MA P series DA/SA guns are no different than the springs supplied with non "M" DA/SA guns. The only real difference between an "M" P series and a free state gun is that they come with cripplemags and have a notch in the barrel for the LCI.

As far as the HSN is concerned I think that's pretty much standard on all the sig frames now, but I'll have to look into that. It's just right below where the locking block is.

-Mike

I thought they did, but I may have it confused with something else. Keeping track of all the ways we are screwed here in the PRM requires more energy than I am willing to invest.

I can't blame you there.

There are other handguns (the M&P is an obvious example) where the trigger is different in MA.

I can't blame you there.

There are other handguns (the M&P is an obvious example) where the trigger is different in MA.

The M+P is really the only example I can think of, actually. I'd say "Sigma" but that gun's trigger sucks out of MA, too, so I don't even think it's been crippled. The new Ruger SR9 is likely also crippled. The "MA trigger" thing is mostly confined to striker fired autos that use "spring assisted DAO" types of triggers. ( Ironically the Para LDA uses a similar system, but with a hammer instead of a striker, and somehow, those are given a pass. ) It's readily apparent to me that the AG's office simply doesn't like Glocks, or anything that functions or looks like one.

-Mike

Hey all,

Getting back to the original post... my letter to Sig asking for help on delivery of a 239... I have to give credit where credit is due. Sig sent my Xmas present overnight to the dealer. I picked it up last night.

Thank you Sig for listening and helping.

Cheers,

Rich

I think the Stigma has the same trigger in-state as out of state. I have an old SW9F (preban) and its trigger is as bad as the newer ones I've handled.

I'm pretty sure the AG's office demonizes Glocks due to their place in all the violent media.

BTW, +1 to Sig. Makes me want to buy one, if the trigger wasn't so GD'ed big.

Hey all,

Getting back to the original post... my letter to Sig asking for help on delivery of a 239... I have to give credit where credit is due. Sig sent my Xmas present overnight to the dealer. I picked it up last night.

Cheers,

Rich

That's cool - I'ma try that with Snoopy's letter!

Dear IRS,
Please take me off your mailing list.
Signed,
Snoopy

Dude, you have it wrong, you have to use your name!

Dear IRS,

I am a Freeman. Please stay out of my business and I'll stay out of yours.

Signed
Doobie

Hey all,

Cheers,

Rich
congrads, some time the squeky wheel does get the grease.Good luck with the 239. I have a 226 and love it,Happy holidays John[smile]

NICE!!!

I work in customer support for an Online PC company and being nice and polite with your requests (as well as adding some humor haha) always works better than raising a shit storm and threatening legal action etc. Good on you, and Sig too. They're in line for my next purchase.

+1

Last edited:
NICE!!!

I work in customer support for an Online PC company and being nice and polite with your requests (as well as adding some humor haha) always works better than raising a shit storm and threatening legal action etc. Good on you, and Sig too. They're in line for my next purchase.
+1

That's funny. You don't type Pakistani.

Yeah, enough thread drift. Someone send them a message that we want P250s in MA. I was just drooling over the ones in a Maryland shop.

Back
Top Bottom