Will my FID card get denied if the chief doesnt want to give it to me?

I am a minor between 15 and 17, but im not just some kid who wants to get a gun because their cool, i Have experience shooting.

Don't you have to have parental signoff/consent? If you don't have that, you're not going to get approved regardless.

-Mike

Will my FID card get denied if the chief doesnt want to give it to me? I am a minor between 15 and 17...

Legally, he has no discretion.

Providing you have parent/guardian permission, and are not otherwise disqualified, it must be issued.

As with most things, there's the law and then there's reality. The CLEO can't deny your FID or refuse to issue it, but he can make the process a royal PITA. Applications are only available by appointment, which must be scheduled at least 30 days in advance. Appointments may be scheduled between 3:00 and 3:15 pm alternate Tuesdays (providing the scheduling officer is available). Expect last minute postponements and frequent loss of applications. IOW, no difference between the treatment of FID applications and LTC applications, except that, once you manage to apply, there's only the illegal delays (all of which will be blamed on the State Police, CHSB or DMH).

Ken

As with most things, there's the law and then there's reality. The CLEO can't deny your FID or refuse to issue it, but he can make the process a royal PITA. Applications are only available by appointment, which must be scheduled at least 30 days in advance. Appointments may be scheduled between 3:00 and 3:15 pm alternate Tuesdays (providing the scheduling officer is available). Expect last minute postponements and frequent loss of applications. IOW, no difference between the treatment of FID applications and LTC applications, except that, once you manage to apply, there's only the illegal delays (all of which will be blamed on the State Police, CHSB or DMH).

Ken

So he can delay me getting my FID card, but he cant deny it even if i pass?

Remember that if he really wants to be an ass, he can always pull the "suitability" thing out and decide that you aren't suitable - my recollection is that he has to have something iron clad for that to pass muster in a courtroom, though.

Remember that if he really wants to be an ass, he can always pull the "suitability" thing out and decide that you aren't suitable - my recollection is that he has to have something iron clad for that to pass muster in a courtroom, though.

Nope, FIDs are "shall issue". The IAs are afforded no discretion regarding "suitability".

I forgot the shall issue part. That's right - even if you are federally prohibited - you can break federal law and not MA law.

Back
Top Bottom