Will changing my Sig pistol sights help with shooting competitions?

Hi Guys -

I currently have a Sig w/ the standard night sights (white). I always shoot w/ one eye closed so I've never had an issue w/ aiming the gun. However... I'm looking to do some pistol shoots this year and have started to train with both eyes open. One thing I noticed is it is difficult to focus through the sights as both the sights are white.

I looked on Sig's website and they offer:

1 - Install the TruGlo TFO (tritium fiber optic) sights - color is green

Anyone use the TFO's and if so - do you like them?

PS: Anyone know of a local gunsmith who works on Sigs?

Thanks!

Just about any gunsmith can change those sights out for you.

But before you spend money changing the night sights, spend time doing dry drills every night for 20 minutes for the next 4 weeks.

I tried FO but now I like black on black the best. Ironically it's fine for low light/no light as well IMO (with a flashlight that is ;) ).

However- it depends on what kind of shooting you plan to do.

Thanks - not so much concerned w/ night shooting - more so w/ pistol competitions specifically aiming w/ both eyes opened. I also noticed today that Meprolights sell different type of combos for my Sig (green/green, greenyellow, etc)

No offense.. but if you are doing "regular" pistol competition (which of course still doesn't say much) like bullseye- I'm not sure the Meps are what you would want. To each his own. Regardless of sights- keeping both eyes open when possible is ideal.

Personally, I have to squint my left eye when shooting -- more when I need to do a precise shot, less when I'm up close.

Personally, I have to squint my left eye when shooting -- more when I need to do a precise shot, less when I'm up close.

Same thing here! I also tend to do this under weak lighting conditions. When I find myself doing this it pisses me off... maybe it's something that happens when the eyes get older. [frown]

I switched my sights on my sig to the trijicon night sights, I'm very disappointed in them. You can't tell they are green unless it's completely dark, and if you use a flashlight in the dark with it, you can't really see them nor can you really tell the color of them in the light. I wish I saved the $100 for the sights+install.

K&R in Hudson has the equipment for sig sight replacement. I'm guessing Four Seasons does too.

The best handgun sights I have ever seen, bar none

247-small-hand-bd-fr.jpg

XS Sights Big Dot Express sights

No offense.. but if you are doing "regular" pistol competition (which of course still doesn't say much) like bullseye- I'm not sure the Meps are what you would want. To each his own. Regardless of sights- keeping both eyes open when possible is ideal.

This is the key question. What kind of competition shooting are you going to do? Pin shooting? IPSC? Bullseye?

Answering that will give better answers than "I like brand X" which is all anyone can give you now.

Back
Top Bottom