Will ATF approve form 1 for ppsh for MA resident?

Here is my 2 cents.

Not sure if accurate...

Avoiding the CLEO frowning on your hobby when you have to notify him used to be avoided by using a trust.

From what I gather, even with a trust NOW, the CLEO needs to be notified.

Therefor, you might as well file as an individual.

You will have to engrave your name and town on the lower.

With a trust, you could put your cool trust name instead.

EDIT:

CLEO only gets notified - you do not have to get his permission.

Here is my 2 cents.

Not sure if accurate...

Avoiding the CLEO frowning on your hobby when you have to notify him used to be avoided by using a trust.

EDIT:

There are tons of other reasons to use a Trust or a Corporation though, because if you do it right more than one
person can have access/possession of the device, and you can change this access by amending the paperwork.

If you do it as an individual, that shit is just welded to that one person, forever. At not wanting to derail the
thread, it doesn't take much imagination to see the obvious utility of having more than one person that can
legally transport the device(s) around.

-Mike

Aside from trust vs individual, it seems that the E-Form is the way to submit vs paper. I’m reading about people getting approved forms back in 1-2 months or sooner.

What's the best way to apply these days? Trust (no need Cleo but need fingerprints and other forms) or individual?

File an eForm 1. Just have your prints ready to mail, because you have I think 10 days after you submit the eForm to get those in the mail. Make sure you get the tracking to ensure you know when your eForm goes pending because they don't tell you. Also make sure when you're filling in the form you upload a copy of your LTC and you'll be fine. If you don't, they'll come back and ask you for it which will add a couple days to your approval time.

Aside from trust vs individual, it seems that the E-Form is the way to submit vs paper. I’m reading about people getting approved forms back in 1-2 months or sooner.

Without looking at the NFA Tracker I would guess the average is around 21 days. Mine have ranged 2 to 25 days.

ATF absolutely will approve a form 1 for you. Setup a trust through Silencershop if you're considering one (you should, for reasons listed above by Drgrant). CLEO gets notified but no longer needs to give approval. You can do your own fingerprints using a diy kit from Amazon or you can see your local PD and ask for them to do your prints.

File an eForm 1, come see us for your engraving, and you'll be good to go.

This
Here is my 2 cents.

Not sure if accurate...

EDIT:

s

There are tons of other reasons to use a Trust or a Corporation though, because if you do it right more than one
person can have access/possession of the device, and you can change this access by amending the paperwork.

If you do it as an individual, that shit is just welded to that one person, forever. At not wanting to derail the
thread, it doesn't take much imagination to see the obvious utility of having more than one person that can

-Mike
This too

-Mike

The only reason is the time to approval. Trust will still take longer than individual. Every time you want to buy something in a trust you have to track down all of the RPs and get prints and signatures. The flexibility to have anyone in the trust use the NFA item is nice, I’m not big on sharing my shit tho so it lacks appeal to me. I do occasionally use a trust for some purchases, specifically so my daughter can use the item.

Here is my 2 cents.

Not sure if accurate...

EDIT:

I could be wrong (I often am), but isn't the trade off of universal notification (individual or trust) that the CLEO notification now just a formality, where no response is required, just proof that you sent it? I thought they could no longer muck up Form 1's unless you were clearly in the wrong for filing in the first place (felon, etc).

I could be wrong (I often am), but isn't the trade off of universal notification (individual or trust) that the CLEO notification now just a formality, where no response is required, just proof that you sent it? I thought they could no longer muck up Form 1's unless you were clearly in the wrong for filing in the first place (felon, etc).

Per the letter of the law proof it was sent is not required. The idea is when you apply you also send the CLEO letter. In theory if you were some sort of nuisance or public enemy number one then CLEO has a chance to inform ATF.

That is mostly correct. CLEO does not sign off on anything, it's notification only now. This applies for filing both trust and individual forms.

Basically you drop the pre-printed letter the ATF gives you into an envelope, address it, stamp it, throw it in the mail and forget about it. No f***s given by anyone involved, and the Chief probably goes "What the f*** is this garbage?" and tosses it in the circular file when it arrives.

The only reason is the time to approval. Trust will still take longer than individual. Every time you want to buy something in a trust you have to track down all of the RPs and get prints and signatures. The flexibility to have anyone in the trust use the NFA item is nice, I’m not big on sharing my shit tho so it lacks appeal to me. I do occasionally use a trust for some purchases, specifically so my daughter can use the item.

Can you add people to the trust after the stamps have been issued? Meaning change the trust?

Let me see if I understand this. If I file as an individual, and I bring my dad to the range, he can’t fire the gun?

Let me see if I understand this. If I file as an individual, and I bring my dad to the range, he can’t fire the gun?

By the reading of the law if you hand your dad your SBR you just completed an illegal transfer. The reality is as long as you are there in the presence of the SBR and in control of the firearm you will never have a problem. What you can’t do is hand your dad a suppressed deer rifle and say I will see you at sundown. For that you need a trust. My daughters stand is about 200 yards from mine on my farm in Western PA, my trust lawyer said that’s too far, put that suppressor in a trust with her.

By the reading of the law if you hand your dad your SBR you just completed an illegal transfer. The reality is as long as you are there in the presence of the SBR and in control of the firearm you will never have a problem. What you can’t do is hand your dad a suppressed deer rifle and say I will see you at sundown. For that you need a trust. My daughters stand is about 200 yards from mine on my farm in Western PA, my trust lawyer said that’s too far, put that suppressor in a trust with her.
Thanks for the info

Along those same lines. I’m Interested in a Form 1 with my New Hampshire LLC as a Mass resident on a PS-90.

Thoughts?

You have to list your address of residence on the eForm1, the NH LLC will not even come into play. I don't know shit about Massachusetts law other than its f***ing whacked but the best I can tell from these boards you can file and make an SBR via an eForm 1. Fill out the eForm on the ATF website, pay your $200 stamp fee, wait two to three weeks for your stamp, engrave your name, city sand state and buy a CCMG PS90 short barrel kit.

You have to list your address of residence on the eForm1, the NH LLC will not even come into play. I don't know shit about Massachusetts law other than its f***ing whacked but the best I can tell from these boards you can file and make an SBR via an eForm 1. Fill out the eForm on the ATF website, pay your $200 stamp fee, wait two to three weeks for your stamp, engrave your name, city sand state and buy a CCMG PS90 short barrel kit.

My interest is in having the firearm in the LLC’s name. The way I read the instructions this should be acceptable

“The applicant shall provide the applicant’s full legal name to include middle and mailing address in item 3b. If a post office box
address is used, the physical address shall be entered in item 3c.
If the applicant is a trust or legal entity, show only the complete name of the trust or legal entity and do not include any individual
names (such as names of trustees or corporate officials). The
address shall be the location within the particular state where
the firearm will be maintained for a trust or legal entity. In
the case of two or more locations for a legal entity, the address
shown shall be the principal place of business within the particular state (or principal office, in the case of a corporation).”

My interest is in having the firearm in the LLC’s name. The way I read the instructions this should be acceptable

“The applicant shall provide the applicant’s full legal name to include middle and mailing address in item 3b. If a post office box
address is used, the physical address shall be entered in item 3c.
If the applicant is a trust or legal entity, show only the complete name of the trust or legal entity and do not include any individual
names (such as names of trustees or corporate officials). The
address shall be the location within the particular state where
the firearm will be maintained for a trust or legal entity. In
the case of two or more locations for a legal entity, the address
shown shall be the principal place of business within the particular state (or principal office, in the case of a corporation).”

I see that and that’s above my pay grade, it doesn’t seem logical but who knows. Interesting for sure, maybe consult with an NFA attorney.

If you do a trust. The want fingerprints of all responsible persons. I thought could be done at home after downloading fbi for but the want person's signature the one who took the fingerprints.... also my work address....Applicant Fingerprint Form (FD-258) — FBI

Leave the preparer blank, just fill in the stuff pertinent to you. I would not use the FBI forms, (turns out they may be the same number) call the ATF and they will send you forms for free. You can also buy them online. I bought a fingerprint kit from amazon and have been doing them myself for years.

Back
Top Bottom