• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wife and baby steps

EMTDAD

NES Member
Just thought I'd share my story.

Never grew up around guns. Not even a sniff. Wife didn't either. When I was about 12, a friends 3rd grade brother was shot and killed when his friend found a loaded pistol in a field and thinking it was a toy, turned and fired. That's about as close to anything firearms related for me. Oh, and I vaguely recall shooting a round or 2 of a .22 rifle when I was a camp counselor in the 80s.

Fast forward to 3 yrs ago. For Christmas 2011, wife gets me a gift card to American Firearms School for their Learn to Shoot program. I had never shown any interest in guns, or desire to learn. This was just out of the blue thing. So after the card languishes on my dresser for 6 months, I finally sign up to go on Fathers Day 2012.

Had a blast, shot the Ruger MK3, and with the others I was there with, rented an AK-47 and had a great time. Feel like this is something I want to learn more. So for Christmas 2012, I request a Basic Firearms Safety Class gift card, and take the class sometime in early 2013.

Meanwhile, wife and I are going thru a real rough patch. Fighting often, generally depressed from the situation. Almost comes to a divorce. I go to get my LTC and she freaks out. Completely. So I drop it. Figure this isn't the right time to do this. Meanwhile, I'm reading a ton here about the laws, rules, etc. and about pros and cons of all things gun-related. Gained a ton of knowledge (thanks to all you guys).

So we work through it, save our marriage, and here we are in 2014. So this summer, I see the Groupon for the intro to handguns and rifles class at Mass Firearms School and send it to her to see if she'd like to go with me. Shocked that she said "yes"... so we go back in July 2014 and she gets to shoot 4 different types of firearms. Although very nervous, she did really well and seemed to enjoy it. As we're leaving, I ask her what she thought. She replies, "I'm still processing it". I post a few pics on FB and she gets lots of positive feedback from her friends. Next day, we see a friend who asks about her experience to which she replies, "It was awesome!".

So in August we're up in Maine, stop in at a Tractor Supply Store, and wouldn't you know, I catch her out of the corner of my eye flipping thru a Guns & Ammo magazine, after which I completely joke about that.. lots of fun.

I suggest for her to do a Women on Target event. She was enthusiastic about it, signed up for the New Bedford event, then hurt her arm and had to cancel, but said she'd go in the spring and it would give her time to see if she could gather a couple of friends to go too.

I'm a Cub Scout den leader and bring up at our Committee Meeting to do the Eddie Eagle program. She's Committee Chair and is all for it. So we go to drop off the materials for the instructor who's coming to the scout meeting, and she's chatting it up with the guys behind the desk. We browse the rentals and guns for sale, and talk about what she shot, and maybe what she'd like to try next. So AFS says that Tuesdays is Ladies Night.. She tells me, "Sounds like this could be a fun date." We talk more about her taking the basic safety class and maybe both of us getting our licenses together at some point...

So... just goes to show that things can change.. although slow, progress can be made.. I see a lot of posts describing similar situations to mine. Don't give up... I'm not... baby steps..

When I saw the title I totally thought you were going to mention "What About Bob". I just saw that yesterday with my daughter and we were on the floor. That movie is hilarious.

Anyway...sounds like you have a good plan. I am trying to get my wife to take the Women on Target class too. She is totally like "NO". So I told her I would check in once a month and every time she said no I'm planning to buy a new gun. So far I have 7 but I'm going broke in the process.

Last edited:
Love isn't the easiest thing let alone marriage, but when you are able to work through the roughest times together..that goes to show its real.

A family that shoots together stays together.

That about covers it.
The wife and I have shot together for over 35 years.
Life got busy and we only went now and then.
A few years ago we decided, screw it, we're slowing things down and making time every weekend to go with our son.
Wouldn't miss our weekend shooting dates for anything.

Glad to hear you are working it through. When the going gets tough, the tough get going! 45 years here. Been there done that - it is worth it! Awesome on the guns! [party][iwojima]

Latest update:

We're at my kids Scout Arrow of Light ceremony last night and the moderator mentions more than once, that as a boy scout, you'll get to move up from the BB guns to real rifle/shotguns. This brought an excited buzz from the 100 or so 5th graders.

So today, I mention to the wife what her thoughts would be if I took my 10 yr old to AFS for a little intro to .22LR. She was ALL IN!!! Thought it would be great for him to get some exposure and learn a bit. I damn well almost fell out of my chair.[smile]

I guarantee that he'll be excited as hell, and then shit his pants when the guy in the lane next to us fires a much louder caliber. LOL

The marathon continues...

Update again:

So I get my unrestricted LTC (Thanks North Attleboro) in May. Been idle in the market as funds are tight. Thought we'd inherit a couple rifles but that didn't work out (yet, at least)

Took my 11 yr old to AFS and he had a blast shooting the M&P15-22.

Wife took Women on Target on 8/23. (pics) Literally changed her mindset completely. So much that after she shot trap, I get a text message telling me that "we're joining a club". Almost shit my pants hearing that. She came home rearing to get her LTC, which I think she'll apply for this week. She's even been more vocal about her 2A rights, and against the liberal "blame the gun" mantra.

See.. patience and education.. :)

Congrats! I wish my wife was more open about it like yours is. She doesnt like being around them from a bad experience when younger. Hopefully get her out some day.. maybe..

Update again:

So I get my unrestricted LTC (Thanks North Attleboro) in May. Been idle in the market as funds are tight. Thought we'd inherit a couple rifles but that didn't work out (yet, at least)

Wife took Women on Target on 8/23. (pics) Literally changed her mindset completely. So much that after she shot trap, I get a text message telling me that "we're joining a club". Almost shit my pants hearing that. She came home rearing to get her LTC, which I think she'll apply for this week. She's even been more vocal about her 2A rights, and against the liberal "blame the gun" mantra.

print the text out and frame it [cheers]

Women on Target is a fantastic program. Had exactly the same results for my former-anti wife. Completely turned her around. Loves it! Next take a basic pistol course from GOAL or another creditable org. Find a good instructor and take a couple lessons. Join a local gun club, one that has a good junior program. Its wide open for you now!

Great that you are involved Scouting. Wasn't long ago my son was crossing over. Now he's finishing his Eagle project. Time flies. Stay involved and you both will have great memories.

Last edited:
Congrats,looks like your family is going in the right direction.Now all your going to need is His&hers carry guns.

Guns...bringing couples together for decades!

shotgun%20wedding.jpg

Yep! that's what I see.

Malodave

Update again:

cool thread man, glad it's working out so well!

Looking forward to the day my toddlers graduate from shooting vacuum extension tubes and Legos to a 22LR.

Never had a license until I moved out here. (but have shot when I was Ma Nat'l Guard) Took the Firearms Safety Course and then talked with my wife about getting a gun. She didn't mind. Since then, she took the course. Right now we are waiting for her LTC which was approved and the check was cashed so it should be here within 10 days. My wife's first gun will be the one in my Avatar. My next training is to get my wife to shoot rapid fire, something everyone needs to learn. If you ever need to empty a cylinder or mag, you need to practice. Teach yourself and your wife this also.

Last edited:
@ OP: AWESOME! My pre-cut history was similar, blossomed a few years back, long story, doesn't matter. Ex-wife would shit a brick if she saw my safe today:) Fiancée said "We really need a bigger safe, let's see how we are after the wedding, we need room for the guns we're buying with gift money." Anyway...

To all in a similar situation to the OP: you and your bride/gf/so are welcome (with children) at our club anytime. We love taking new shooters out. We have most of the basic toys and love to share. Jenn is a vocal 2a supporter and will show any female a half-dozen ways to carry and shoot a man will NEVER think of. Yes, in addition to LOOKING different, women have different carry and shooting considerations.

Yes, I also invited kids... My daughters are 14 and 16, both shoot.

Update again:

Glancing at the pics I seem to recognize some of the guys... Do you know if they run a hunter ed course too? If it's the same guys I had for my hunter ed course, they were really terrible about safe handling - it was basically do as I say not as I do.

Back
Top Bottom