Why no dove season in new england?

whacko

NES Member
My BIL had a blast during dove season down in MD last week! He cleaned up! Why are there only 9 states with no doce season including ma vt nh me? Anyone know?

Fewer fields being worked, and increased forest growth? We're harvesting timber, but that doesn't do much for regaining bird habitat.

Tons of raptors, when I was a kid I used to see tons of bluejays, crows, robins, sparrows. Now every time I see a bird it has a 6' wingspan.

Just wondering because I see them often. Some of the articles I have read state nationally the population is 400-500 million birds and they are the most popular game animal that is hunted in the US. They have up to 6 clutches a year and therefore stay abundant despite 5%-10% of the population being harvested annualy. Damn thats alot of 7 1/2 shot expended each year!

The southern limits need to be reduced. If you shoot 300 a day in South America, 100 in Texas, those migrating north/south have a reduction population problem. The pop of Doves has increased quite a bit over my 70 years of hunting, but the Grackle and Starling population is a limiting factor for doves. I never saw a Dove in the city until the 80's. I have yet to see more than one at a time in the woods. Migrating populations and flocks of feed spots are where you get the massive numbers, I have NEVER seen those in NE.

Back
Top Bottom