WHY IS THIS SUCH A CLOUDY SUBJECT...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very confused about this and I know there are many other who are too.
I have asked numerous people including those from GOAL and believe it or not I recieved two different answers from them too.

I also realize that I'm going to get bombed by members here who know this site inside & out and will tell me to do a search, and I have but can't seem to get a straight answer so I going to post it and hope for the best.

QUESTION;

Can I purchase a firearm from a personal friend who lives in another state? ( Not MA.)
This particular firearm is currently on our MA. Non-Compliant List.

I have a MA. LTC Class A.
He also has a LTC in his state.

Can we make a "private sale" together without a deal involved?

I was told its "legal" to do and all that needs to be done is a FA-10 form....TRUE OR FALSE ?

I've also been told its "illegal" to do because MA. does not allow out of state sales unless a dealer is involved...TRUE OR FALSE

Thank you for your advice and I appologize for asking this question as I know its been pounded to death here.

Yes, you can get a gun from a non-resident, but it MUST BE TRANSFERRED THROUGH AN MA FFL. Otherwise one or both of you are violating federal law. So he needs to send the gun to your local FFL of your choosing for transfer. It's that simple.

Handgun compliance is marginally relevant- but you still need to talk to the dealer(s) to see if it can be transferred or not. If they say no then you're basically stuck.

There is no other (legal) way except through a dealer, unless your friend dies and leaves you in his will or something, or unless he moves into the state.

I'm closing this because it gets asked 5 times a week.

-Mike

No you can't. Any handgun sales between residents of different states, must follow Federal law. It must go through a dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom