Why is .38 special ammo so expensive?

I usually pay around $200 for 1,000 125gr and $220 for 148 gr wd cutters, which I think is very reasonable.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'd say about 90% of the .38spl I load is shot through my Rossi lever action .357/.38. I love shooting that thing. My two revolvers in .38spl mostly just sit in the safe.

Just start thinking exponential and not in terms of "two or three times" and it makes sense.

Especially when you consider the economies of scale at play with 9mm ammo includes the entire us notary. The demand for 9mm is massive!!!!!!

OK I get 'economies of scale' and such. But TWICE AS MUCH as comparable 9mm?

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/cat...=.38+Special&pp=30&sortby=ourPicksAscend&cx=0

Then you truly do NOT don't get economies of scale then. You are comparing 38 SPL which virtualy NO gov agency uses anymore and is even less popular among recreational shooters.......Go to the range......How many 38 wheel guns do you see compared to wonder 9s? Comparing demand of 38 SPL to 9mm which the entire us military uses plus probably half of all police in the us! The economies of scale here are absolutely driving a large price gap.

Last edited:
What about the round makes it good for rookies?

Straight wall= ease of sizing

Rimmed cartridge =head space on the rim.

Tons of load data for this round.

Lots of components available for it, even during times when reloading components are scarce.

Start with a bulky powder like Trailboss. i wouldn't recommend fast pistol powders to start, it is possible to double or triple charge the case with these. The example powder I'm thinking of is Bullseye.

Lots of good recommendations here for equipment. I would take a class or start really researching reloading. ABC's of reloading is a great book. YouTube is a terrific resource.

Go slow and enjoy the process. If the only reason you want to reload is economy,it might not be for you.

Last edited:
We have a .380, so I get that.

But isn't .38 the most common revolver caliber? Do revolver shooters just not shoot a lot?

I shot my revolver a great deal when I was using it to compete in IDPA. But I reload. I don't buy my competition rounds.

So you guys who want to get the cost of .38sp down, but not reload... better start buying and shooting as much as the 9mm guys.

So you guys who want to get the cost of .38sp down, but not reload... better start buying and shooting as much as the 9mm guys.

And if you don't reload (and don't ever plan to) then still save your brass and sell it to help get some sort of money (as small as it may be) back...

I'm seeing Tulammo .38 spl steel case real cheap, do revolvers have issues (ejection, etc.) with steel case ammo?

Back
Top Bottom