Why is .38 special ammo so expensive?

I buy my .38 spl at Freedom Munitions - they'll ship to an FFL, and my gun club is an FFL.
Right now it's $11.50 a box for 125gr remanufactured (which I buy) - they often have free shipping deals. I've been shooting it for several years and never had a problem.

freedommunitions.com

I've had a .38 for long enough to get used to the ammo prices. Now I get a .44 last week and I still haven't bought anything to shoot out of it. Yikes.

My 629 is what lit a fire under my ass to get my reloading gear in order. Ever since, I haven't bought a box of factory ammo. When you have to pay almost 50 bucks for 50 rounds you learn quick. Now get to reloading!!!

My 629 is what lit a fire under my ass to get my reloading gear in order. Ever since, I haven't bought a box of factory ammo. When you have to pay almost 50 bucks for 50 rounds you learn quick. Now get to reloading!!!

I have two revolvers in 45 Colt and 357/38spl. I bought one box of each caliber along with the guns and havent bought any factory ammo for them since. Price difference for 45 Colt especially is huge.

Yep. You can reload 38 spl for like $6.50 a box. At least that's what it costs me using 4 gr of bullseye under a 158 gr JSP. Cheaper if you use lead or coated bullets.

I use .38 SPL for pocket carry and rarely shoot much more than a box a year. I suspect as others have mentioned that it is not a popular round in the US any more.

I use .38 SPL for pocket carry and rarely shoot much more than a box a year. I suspect as others have mentioned that it is not a popular round in the US any more.

Which is surprising because there are a gazillion .38 Sp. revolvers out there.
30+ years ago it was pretty much the standard sidearm nearly every cop in America carried.
They all ended up somewhere, old guns don't just rot away and get scrapped like old cars do.

30+ years ago it was pretty much the standard sidearm nearly every cop in America carried.
They all ended up somewhere, old guns don't just rot away and get scrapped like old cars do.

Maybe a generational thing?

- - - Updated - - -

Or the type used? I shoot a j frame, which doesn't bother me, but have heard that some don't like the recoil

CA state prisons was using them up until three or four years ago. At least Pelican Bay was.

Nothing is more expensive than .38 Special ammo except when you grab 2 boxes of .38 Super that someone put back on the .38 special shelf and you didn't notice the label... oh, and don't own anything chambered in .38 Super.
. This is clearly the powers telling you that you need something chambered in 38 super.

I know it's already been recommended,but 38 special is a great round to start reloading.

I do want to start reloading, the thought of cranking out on demand ammo is enticing.

all i would say is if you're considering it, do it. I've been cranking out 9mm, .223, 44 mag and spl, and 45acp for a couple of years now, in that order, all on a single stage RCBS. I'm now looking for my first turret style to increase my efficiency.

More people shoot 9mm so more demand. It's called economies of scale.

Why do motorcycle tires cost so much more than car tires......They are smaller right so less material?!?? Not the case due to economies of scale. Less total demand for motorcycle tires.

all i would say is if you're considering it, do it. I've been cranking out 9mm, .223, 44 mag and spl, and 45acp for a couple of years now, in that order, all on a single stage RCBS. I'm now looking for my first turret style to increase my efficiency.

Can you recommend a good starter kit?

Can you recommend a good starter kit?

yes. I'm very happy will the rock chucker master kit, wifey got it on sale for about $250. I've purchased a few things since, bullet puller, vibratory bowl, but it has almost everything you need to get started. If you're near Westport, I'd go see mark at Shooting supply and get a Lee single stage or turret. He's a good guy I didn't know about when i got started. I'll probably get my turret there.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/9..._zRN4cJmQbnetyLRc-Cw6xoWHfUo4tiwzoaAqOj8P8HAQ

I frequent a few shops that have a brass trade in program, its reloaded ammo 357/38 at $13.00, and when you bring the 50rds of brass back, they take $3.00 off. It really adds up if you shoot a lot. FYIW the ammo is LSWC or LWC.

Last edited:
What about the round makes it good for rookies?

Its been around forever, tons of data and pet loads. Very versatile, well suited for cast bullets, tons of firearms out there in 38/357, from inexpensive to as much as you want to spend. Components are abundant. Great target round, good defensive round, sure there's better rounds out there but the 38 just does them all pretty well.

What about the round makes it good for rookies?

The link below is really a great read that will answer your question. I recently purchased a 357 mag because I wanted a revolver and everyone was recommending the caliber; a true classic. Then I started to look into it more closely. Then I decided it was time to learn reloading to truly take advantage of this caliber..............

http://www.guns.com/review/the-one-cartridge-hobby-357-magnum/

Back
Top Bottom