Why I joined the Cavalry

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
The Cav is always stationed on the borders or out front or on screen. Translation: we were as far as possible from any headquarters and spent little time in garrison.

And here's an example why. http://taskandpurpose.com/field-day...orst-things-about-life-as-an-enlisted-marine/

The Army and likely the other services have no shortage of such martinets: we're driving the good EM's out of the service.

[video=youtube_share;WAk_Zk4nkjo]http://youtu.be/WAk_Zk4nkjo[/video]

Absolutely correct, I was at camp Pendleton before being sent to Vietnam, garrison sxxxx! Many guys when it was time to come back to the "world" got out . The idea of constant chicken sxxxx buxxxxxx, drove them out and these guys were the ones that should have stayed ! .... Shout out to the 1st. Cav. ,Bumped into them around Da Nang Feb. 68.

The Cav is always stationed on the borders or out front or on screen. Translation: we were as far as possible from any headquarters and spent little time in garrison. And here's an example why. http://taskandpurpose.com/field-day-inspection-video-shows-one-of-the-worst-things-about-life-as-an-enlisted-marine/ The Army and likely the other services have no shortage of such martinets: we're driving the good EM's out of the service. Video Link: http://youtu.be/WAk_Zk4nkjo

You guys are forgetting that all the services are in draw down mode right now. Nobody cares if anybody reenlists. The fact that we are at war makes no fuggin sense, but we are cutting our forces into the bone. Guess when you have an enemy sympathizer as Commander in Chief it is to be expected, huh?

In RVN the bottom of M114 APC was covered in sand bags, empty brass, half empty boxes of c-rats, filthy equipment, etc.
In Germany, I was TC of M113 scout track, (3rd ID) and the bottom was cleaned weekly with tooth brushes and painted monthly for inspections.
Got out just before CO court martialed me.

I hated both doing and receiving "wellness inspections" as they called them in the Army while at Ft Hood in the barracks. If you simply didn't like the person and were a NCO you could always find something. I felt that if you are old enough to go to war and die than your old enough not to have some dickfore looking for juvenile things wrong where you live. At least in iraq on my small 50 person ish patrol base we didn't have this bs but it was in iraq.... Most of the people doing them didn't have to be on the receiving end because they were either married or were in some sham marriage to get BAH. I loved and hated the army while i did my time as a infantryman but things like this are what had me never consider re-enlistment. They are men, treat them like men.

Guys like that are the main reason I only did one enlistment and got the F out.

I was 30 years old and didn't need some punk ass Telling me how much beer I was allowed to have in my fridge or what time I had to be in the barracks by.

There is a pretty good chance the color of those Marines skin getting dressed down had something to do with the way they were treated.

This guy is very impressed with himself, I think by this time they understand how rank works. Anyone who has to tell you what their rank is in order for you to listen to them is a failure as a leader.

Field day is pretty basic Marine shit. I used to be the one inspecting my Marines rooms and trust me sometimes it's absolutely necessary to pick apart their field day and your Marines like this. I had a Marine that filled his wall locker from bottom to top with garbage, actual ****ing garbage. There was a dumpster less that 200ft from his first floor barracks.

Now, if I just let him slide, and god damn Full Bird Colonel C-U-next-Tuesday Erdag came into his room after me and he wasn't being reprimanded, then it would be my ass.

I covered for my Marines for stupid shit...out getting tattoos and not in formation, drunk in formation, got clap from a dirty hooker etc...but when It came down to it, the garrison Marine Corps is a pain in the ****ing ass, and I told my Marines up front that all they had to do was 'appear presentable' and do the basic. Marine Corps shit (customs and courtesies, keep their uniforms/rooms in good order, etc.) and I would stay off their asses.

That at video was a display of everyday life as a garrison Marine at H&S...

U Signed the Muthafuggin Contract!

Rah?

It was also a good reason why many reupped in Vietnam to avoid garrison duty back home.

I hear you. I had to request Nam three times. In writing. The first two times the brass said that I was scheduled for embassy duty and it was good for their record if I went to embassy duty from their command. The third time I had to tell the colonel that I would continue requesting Nam no matter how many times I had to. He finally said " I'm not happy but ok ". Real sport. This was 1968 when the Corps was desperately trying to fill the voids in Nam. Half way through my first tour I signed up for a second tour. As you pointed out, I too wanted to avoid the chicken s*** routine back in the states.

In RVN the bottom of M114 APC was covered in sand bags, empty brass, half empty boxes of c-rats, filthy equipment, etc.
In Germany, I was TC of M113 scout track, (3rd ID) and the bottom was cleaned weekly with tooth brushes and painted monthly for inspections.
Got out just before CO court martialed me.
I was an enlisted 11B and that kind of shit made me crazy. Fast forward (we still had M113's in 3-7 Cav) and when I was Platton Leader we checked the lubes, track, weapons, sensitive items, and rolled. I wanted functional, didn't spend a millisecond on pretty.

There is a pretty good chance the color of those Marines skin getting dressed down had something to do with the way they were treated.
In the 80's Army the old school black NCO's were often much harder on black junior NCO's than anyone else. They got promoted when they had to be better to be equal and carried it on.

Honestly though, the Army was equal opportunity when it came to dickheads. When I was a Corporal I got memorable dress downs from all kinds of NCO's.

My battery gunnery sergeant was exactly like that guy. My contract was going to end two weeks after we got back from Iraq, and during the whole deployment he was bugging me to reenlist. I finally told him I'd sign up for four more years if he could guarantee, in writing, that I could spend all four years deployed and never have to go back stateside and deal with his pogue garrison bullshit.

Theres a line. Unfortunately junior enlisted cant always be counted on to act like adults when it comes to many things. That said... there is a line.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Is it normal for the GySgt to be in civilian clothes for an inspection? I was a little surprised only the guy with the notebook was in uniform.
Yeah, field day is not typically done in uniform because it's conducted after working hours. The guy with the notebook was the duty NCO.

Shout out to the 1st. Cav. ,Bumped into them around Da Nang Feb. 68.

My uncle was in the 1st Cav at that time. On the boat over a bunch of them got pulled off. He ended up spending his year on the 38th parallel in Korea instead.

GPP was a horrendous garrison Marine, he was an even worse garrison soldier ( once he defected lol).

That being said, you can not make E7 in the current active duty Marine Corps or Army without being an absolute kiss ass, cock smooching piece of absolute forget where you came from piece of shit.

We dont know the background of this scene, its possible this junior Marine was getting what he deserved, but either way, this video made me want to smash that ****ing bald headed gunny with a baseball bat until he stopped breathing.

GPP was a horrendous garrison Marine, he was an even worse garrison soldier ( once he defected lol).

That being said, you can not make E7 in the current active duty Marine Corps or Army without being an absolute kiss ass, cock smooching piece of absolute forget where you came from piece of shit.

This is way beyond the marines and army, I think its DOD as a generality. Guys I know that are still in service, or just got out, or are on reserve etc, otherwise... have all told me, the rank goes up, the douchebag rate increases. The good guys at high rank are the ones who have played deceiver and dodged most of the bullshit but they still had to be two faced at times to do it, and then there just the captain obvious bad ones. This applies to officer ranks, too.

I think DOD has always been dysfunctional by design to try to deter most good people from staying too long, but it seems like in the past decade or two it has gone from terrible to worse. I think the .gov fears ever seeing a General Patton 2.0 in its ranks, if you catch my drift. A military filled with tons of soldiers and officers that pride themselves on being decent human beings, with strong bearings on a good moral compass is a gigantic, incontrovertible threat to a standing government that sucks. It's pretty obvious they want "yes men" at this point above all else.

-Mike

"Military Purge: Barack H. Obama Says Obey Him, Not the Constitution!"

"Since Obama took office an unprecedented number of top military leaders have been removed from their posts – nearly 200 generals, flag officers and other high-ranking officials. They are being “removed” at a rate of about one per week."

Generals have to be approved by Congress.

The saying in the Army has always been "The best officers in the Army leave as Colonels.

Example: Three Cavalry officers, two 1982 USMA and a VMI grad I know.

Colonel Jim Hickey (his Brigade caught Saddam) - Security Consultant.
Colonel Pete Mansoor - history professor and TV talking head.
General Robert Abrams - TRADOC Commander.

So a twenty year old millennium deliberately fails field day so he can make a video?

Maybe that guy was always a dick. Maybe he wore out after his Joes screwed him over and over by getting DUIs, marrying strippers and then beating them, or failing room inspection every single time and living like disgusting pigs.

We dont know the background of this scene, its possible this junior Marine was getting what he deserved, but either way, this video made me want to smash that ****ing bald headed gunny with a baseball bat until he stopped breathing.

I don't know how true that is. I've seen it as 50/50. There are definitely a greater proportion of ass-kissing douchenozzles in the senior staff NCO corps than there are in the ranks of E5s and E6s.

Mike

And just to add, that Gunny has no clue how to deliver a good ass chewing.

There's probably a good reason he's the H&S Co. GySgt.

I got you beat! I got promoted to E-5 3 times in 7 years.[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

Back
Top Bottom