Why does CT make Mass look like a bunch of amateurs?

rogersmithiii

NES Member
I'm a Mass resident. This afternoon, I drove down to Middletown, CT to renew my non-resident, CT LTC. I received a notice in the mail asking me to renew, so to minimize mistakes and misunderstandings, I decided to renew the thing in person.

I walked in, handed the clerk a $35 check. Handed copies of my passport, my Mass drivers license, and my old permit. After two minutes, they took my picture, and one minute later, handed me the new permit. Quick, easy, and minimal hassle.

Why can't Massachusetts offer similar service? Why does it take Mass months to process one renewal?

Unreal.

I don't think the renewal of an LTC in MA takes as long as being a brand new applicant.

Yet again I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Renewal or first time license, the procedure is identical. The only reason it might take less time is if your local PD decides to treat renewals a bit more courteously than new applicants. As to why it's not more efficient, I suspect that it's very efficient. After all, efficiency is judged solely according to the intended results. Connecticut probably want's to get licenses taken care of with as little muss and fuss as necessary. Massachusetts in contrast designed their system to deter as many people as possible from bothering to get a license.

Ken

Jon has it right!

MA does NOT want to issue any permits at all . . . they just want your money.

$75 of every $100 LTC/FID fee goes to the state and a considerable amount of that money was supposed to be used to support the CHSB system. IMNSHO the towns got shafted as they do more work on issuance and get short-changed . . . which contributes to why it is treated as such a low priority by the cities/towns.

It is a rather quick process. I turned in my app to a suburb of Hartford and got my "town permit" in 2 weeks..then went to the state police and its a 5-10 min process..for those who don't want to wait here..you can get a Eligibilty Certificate in about 5 days straight from the state police..this allows you to buy handguns (or long guns without the 2 week wait) but NOT carry them....I still do not see a need for a permit to buy a gun..or a permit to carry for that matter....Vermont has it right...

It is a rather quick process. I turned in my app to a suburb of Hartford and got my "town permit" in 2 weeks..then went to the state police and its a 5-10 min process..for those who don't want to wait here..you can get a Eligibilty Certificate in about 5 days straight from the state police..this allows you to buy handguns (or long guns without the 2 week wait) but NOT carry them....I still do not see a need for a permit to buy a gun..or a permit to carry for that matter....Vermont has it right...

Wait, you got your local permit in two weeks? My local PD said eight weeks and it's been seven weeks now- [thinking] Are they just messing with me?

not sure your town..but the town I am talking about is Windsor and they have a special person who does permits and he is very efficent...it could easily be 2 weeks or less if people actually did their jobs..

The Massachusetts government isn't to serve you. You are to serve the Massachusetts government.

+1.....

How they can complete a crawl up your ass background check in the front of a police cruiser within minutes, yet take months to do the same thing to issue a ALP is beyond me.

My guess it's the ten foot thick layer of tax money absorbing f***tarded politicians kids and relatives whose desk it must pass across that cause the process to slow down exponentially.

In the end, they could care less about your rights, they just want the money...you'll get your permit when they feel like it.....

Back
Top Bottom