• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why do you reload

Was just curious as to why people reload. Is it more of a hobby or is it really that much cheaper. Or does the cheaper part depend on which size caliber you are shooting. Totally new to this whole owning a gun and buying ammo. But watching videos on reloading looks like it could almost be therapeutic.

Was just curious as to why people reload. Is it more of a hobby or is it really that much cheaper. Or does the cheaper part depend on which size caliber you are shooting. Totally new to this whole owning a gun and buying ammo. But watching videos on reloading looks like it could almost be therapeutic.
For most calibers, you can save some money by reloading. For some you can save a ton by reloading.
I reload to save money and because it's a lot of fun. Some folks reload because they like shooting obscure calibers that aren't available anymore and that's the only way they can get them.

All of the above. Plus, you can fine tune your ammo to improve performance. I started reloading because my milsurp type 38 arisaka fired 6.5 jap that was hard to find retail and expensive when you did come across it.

For me it's more of a hobby. I enjoy the process and it's nice to not worry about finding factory ammo. If you shoot a lot it can definitely save you money after the initial investment in equipment is paid off. Keep in mind that the caliber and type of components you use and how you buy them will affect your actual savings. Another benefit is more consistent and accurate ammo. I have also found it to be very therapeutic.

I reload for a lot of reasons, but I know one thing that is for sure, I could never find ammo or nor could I ever get the speed or accuracy that I do out of my Wildcats, so it is to a point now that it is basically out of necessity.

Dean

In no particular order:

I can make ammo when there are shortages, and don't need to store that much inventory
I can make ammo without having to run out to the store
I can make fairly accurate ammo, and play with loads and such
I enjoy the process, much like I enjoy cooking. Something to do with my hands

It might save a few bucks but that's a lower priority. For me anyway at this point in my life.

If you source your components carefully, you'll save a minimum of 50%, and sometimes >90% depending on caliber when you reload.

Your ammo will be better too.

The tired old truism about reloading - "You don't save money, you just shoot more" - is incorrect. You actually save money AND shoot more.

I got into it because I am cheap and wanted to save money, I stay in it because its so much easier to reload ammo and always have it on hand rather than spend my time trying to track down ammo locally.

It didn't take me long to "pay off" my investment in savings (I actually kept track) and now I'm just loading ammo for half price or less. Now that I've got a kid I really enjoy the zen time in the basement alone. [laugh]

1. I save a lot (over the long run)
2. It allows me to shoot more often than if I did not reload
3. It gives me peace of mind knowing that can make many 10s of thousands of rounds just from the components I have on hand even if there is a shortage
4. It's fun to prep brass and reload -- especially when the kids help
5. I can easily adjust my loads to achieve the velocity I want for maximum accuracy, penetration, or suppression depending on the particular application

Yep, all of the above.

I never considered reloading until I started going to range more and more often. I was getting tired of spending big $ on magnum calibers and finally decided I need to start reloading or I'm going to be broke[laugh]

Now I reload 7? calibers. It's nice to have the ability to make ammo with various bullet types/weights/shapes etc. Also nice to be able to make ammo that can be really soft shooting for competition.

Last edited:
9mm and .223 at half the cost of bulk and way better accuracy.
This was a question I was going to ask. Just starting out I'm starting with a 9mm. I was looking at bulk and lowest I found is actually the rounds I shoot at the range because you have to use their ammo with their rentals (still deciding on which pistol to purchase) at about $160 for 1,000 rounds.

1. I save a lot (over the long run)
2. It allows me to shoot more often than if I did not reload
3. It gives me peace of mind knowing that can make many 10s of thousands of rounds just from the components I have on hand even if there is a shortage
4. It's fun to prep brass and reload -- especially when the kids help
5. I can easily adjust my loads to achieve the velocity I want for maximum accuracy, penetration, or suppression depending on the particular application
I see yOh have the kids help. Is it as dangerous as some have said? Of course anything can be dangerous if you don't follow the nesesary precautions.

- - - Updated - - -

If you source your components carefully, you'll save a minimum of 50%, and sometimes >90% depending on caliber when you reload.

Your ammo will be better too.

The tired old truism about reloading - "You don't save money, you just shoot more" - is incorrect. You actually save money AND shoot more.
i was actually looking at you class schedule before I posted. I am thinking of signing up. Do we actually make some rounds and do we take them home?

If you poke around and buy things like primers in bulk, you can reload quality 115gr 9mm for about $110/k, and even less than that if you want to get into casting your own.

What's the initial investment (roughly) to get started with one pistol caliber and one rifle caliber?

What's the initial investment (roughly) to get started with one pistol caliber and one rifle caliber?

Fairly broad question since it depends on the type of press you buy. Are you asking about a cost including components (powder, primers, bullets)?

I bought a Hornady LNL AP (progressive press), dies for 9mm and 357 mag, and shell plates for both calibers which ran me about $550? That's just the basic press related equipment. You'll need a scale, calipers, bullet puller, and other various tools which add up. Then buy primers, powder, bullets...

Single stages presses can be had for around $100? At least that's what my Lee single stage press ran me for when I resize rifle brass. Rifle calibers will require more tools/supplies (case lube, trimmer...) and time to reload.

Last edited:
Mostly because the caliber I shoot most is custom and isn't available on store shelves, and if it were I probably wouldn't be able to afford it anyway.

I started reload for 1 simple reason. in 2004 I was shooting a lot of trap and the only way to get more than a few hundred rounds locally was to wait for the club order to come in.
Then in 2005 I spent a 1/2 day on saturday driving around to all the local shops to pick up 500 rounds of 223 , 800 rounds of 12g trap loads, few hundred 22lr Match loads
and 1k 45acp.... really pissed me off. that year I stopped shooting for 8 months. Stopped spending any money on coffee,beer and other things i could do with out and saved up enough to buy all the gear to load everything I shoot includeing aprox 4 years worth of bullets,primers,powder for each cal.
Best thing I ever did....i started casting a few years later because with the cost of the primer being the expensive part in my cast loads you cant beat shooting cast loads for under 10 cents per round.. my rifle cast loads took a little jump now that gas checks are .03 ea my 30-06 cast loads cost me .13 ea.
I was very good at scrounging almost everything to cast bullets with for ZERO money.
I figured out one time the actual cash I spent on casting was for some safety gear and propane. I smelted over 500lbs of free wheel weights with one tank and that gear... figure I saved right there enough in lead to more than pay for my investment... I might have a total of 100$ in smelting and casting equipment. then maybe another 150$ in molds. which is only 3 of the several molds I have. I was able to pick up many molds for free.

Do i save money..... depends I have lots of free time I am not making money with so I have the free time to reload/smelt/cast If you can work over time and make good money above and beyound what you need ......well I would be tempted to just buy ammo.

Good thing about reloading is you can load what you want ..... example for the longest time I couldnt find cheap 230grain 45acp all 185gn "target" stuff.

I also started buying my own reloads off my self... for every 20 round box I shoot I stuff the cost at current prices to load it then add 2$
My 30-06 match loads run me .48 ea 223 match loads run me 31 cents each and my 5.56 plinking loads run me .19 cents per round

Last edited:

Really depends what you want. How much do you want to reload each year? 2k? 10k? 30k rounds?

Just for equipment you can start with something like a Lee 4 hole Turret, some dies, a scale, calipers and a brass tumbler for 9mm.

For bottle neck rifle like .223/.308 you need a way to trim the cases down after resizing and probably a chamfer bit to remove the primer pocket crimp.

I'd say $300-400 is a good region for a low end start.

Personally if I was starting all over again, I'd start with 9mm or other straight wall pistol. Buy a Dillon Square Deal, an electronic scale, a cheap beam scale to occasionally double check the electronic, a loading tray, a low end mitutoyo caliper, a Lyman tumbler.

I can reload about 600rds an hour comfortably on my Dillon Square Deal if I preload primer tubes.

I thought I would save money.

To be fair, the reason I'm not saving much is because I keep rolling the savings back into new or better reloading equipment.

I see yOh have the kids help. Is it as dangerous as some have said? Of course anything can be dangerous if you don't follow the nesesary precautions.

- - - Updated - - -

i was actually looking at you class schedule before I posted. I am thinking of signing up. Do we actually make some rounds and do we take them home?
It is like anything else gun related. You need to pay attention to detail and use common sense safety precautions.

I thought I would save money.

To be fair, the reason I'm not saving much is because I keep rolling the savings back into new or better reloading equipment.
you really dont "save" money.
lets just say you shoot 2k rounds per year or 1000$ if you get into reloading that 1000$ a year you spent turns into loading more to shoot per year. so the cost are genrally going to be the same.

Also since you will most likely shoot more rounds than buying factory your savings can go into a new barrel or upper.....

The gains in reloading..... my tossed together on my lee pro 1000 223 55gn FMJ surplus powder W844 loads are on inventory I bought several years ago and cut my cost down to 12 cents per round, they will shoot so much better than any of the standard fodder sub 40 cent 223 ammo out there. This is where you get your gains

I reload the following:
223 accuracy
308,338 accuracy and cost
30-30,380 cost >50% savings
9mm because I had a bucket of brass and had bullets and primers for 380

Back
Top Bottom