• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why are so many Glocks in play?

Because they get into guns and think "I needs a Glock on fotay yo". Then they realize they feel like the plastic box their 119 piece Harbor Freight socket set came in and they'd rather have a SIG, 1911 or S&W revolver.

[smile]

Harbor Freight? That's a low blow. [laugh]. Harbor Freight is more like Hi Point. [grin]

-Mike

Gawsh...such harshness. I consider my Glock the workhorse of my collection. Sure, it's not pretty. But when you're looking for capacity, reliability, and overall cost of ownership (provided you don't overpay), I'd be hard-pressed to find a better option.

That said, if Blitz1 wants to loan me his P229 for a while, I'd love to be proven wrong.

[smile]

Gawsh...such harshness. I consider my Glock the workhorse of my collection. Sure, it's not pretty. But when you're looking for capacity, reliability, and overall cost of ownership (provided you don't overpay), I'd be hard-pressed to find a better option.

That said, if Blitz1 wants to loan me his P229 for a while, I'd love to be proven wrong.

[smile]

[laugh2][rofl] HA! Good one.

Funny Guy. [grin]

There are people willing to pay for something they can't get, and there are also the people more than willing to take advantage of that fact.

+ (another) 1. Evidence of this can be seen in the number of "recycled" Glocks coming in state from police departments around the country, my G27 included. Glock has figured out that they can gather them up, give 'em the once over in the factory and send them here and possibly make as much (or more?) money on the deal as they made the first time they sold it somewhere else.

Very few guns run as reliable out of the box as the Glock. I have owned and shot lots and I refused to drink the Glock Kool-Aid. Then I finally shot a G19 and loved it. It is a workhorse and if I had to pick up one in a pinch I would not be worried about it's reliability.

Parts are everywhere and cheap. Same with magazines. The Glock has been a workhorse for many years and the 17 and 19 models have been about as reliable as you can ever ask for a pistol. Mine gets run hard and treated like a whore often but never lets me down.

That said, either you love Glocks or you hate them. My Gen 3 G19 cost me $480 with 3 mags and has about 7k rounds through it with only 2 cleanings (1 initial and another at about 6k). Just lube it and let 'er rip...

[smile]

Very few guns run as reliable out of the box as the Glock. I have owned and shot lots and I refused to drink the Glock Kool-Aid. Then I finally shot a G19 and loved it. It is a workhorse and if I had to pick up one in a pinch I would not be worried about it's reliability.

Parts are everywhere and cheap. Same with magazines. The Glock has been a workhorse for many years and the 17 and 19 models have been about as reliable as you can ever ask for a pistol. Mine gets run hard and treated like a whore often but never lets me down.

That said, either you love Glocks or you hate them. My Gen 3 G19 cost me $480 with 3 mags and has about 7k rounds through it with only 2 cleanings (1 initial and another at about 6k). Just lube it and let 'er rip...

Is it an everyday carry gun though?

G19? Are you kidding? Absolutely...

Particularly compared to a 1911, Sig, M&P, 92, etc... or even a G17 for that matter.

Thin light, small but not too small. You can shoot it accurately all day, holds a decent number of rounds, easy to work on, etc...

I guess I went backwards. I avoided Glocks for years because I could not see what all the fuss was about. Then once in MA, I wasn't going to pay a premium. Finally picked one up for a good price and I love it...

Grip angle nonsense is just that - sorry wolf, didn't even notice... Just pulled up to the plates and started making music... [laugh]

Yes. I carry it daily with the knowledge that it will work when I want to. I have under $600 into this gun and it works every time. The loudest sound in the world is a 'click' when you wanted a 'bang'.

People can hate Glocks all day long but when it comes to the 19 and 17 you will have a hard time finding a more reliable gun. As for the 1911 crowd, yes they are an awesome gun but it is a love and art to get them to run right. I would not want to spend $800 on a gun to dump $2k into it so i can say it is a reliable gun. Owning a 1911 is like owning a Jaguar...high frickin' maintenance...

My Glock got pulled apart for inspection on day 1, cleaned and lubed then ran for a long time with nothing but lube. I would have run it even longer if it had not ended up completely snotted over during a carbine course where it got tossed in a mud pit. Even then I took it home, hosed it out, wiped it down then threw some WD40 on it for a few hours before wiping that off and throwing some Slip 2000 on it.

Other than everything else that's already been mentioned, I'd say one of the biggest reasons is that Glocks are easy for dealers to get into MA. All the 1st & 2nd gens are Mass. compliant, and a quick serial number check will tell you if a 3rd gen was made before 10/21/98. This gets even easier when PD's trade in guns, or when you see a gun in a free state on a site online that's dirt cheap. Easy peasy.

+ (another) 1. Evidence of this can be seen in the number of "recycled" Glocks coming in state from police departments around the country, my G27 included. Glock has figured out that they can gather them up, give 'em the once over in the factory and send them here and possibly make as much (or more?) money on the deal as they made the first time they sold it somewhere else.

Does anyone know if it's actually Glock doing this? I know that S&W has bought out all of the used Glocks from PD's when they switch over to M&P's, and other FFL's and distributors do similar things, but I haven't actually seen this happen with Glock behind it.

Yes. I carry it daily with the knowledge that it will work when I want to.

I think Blitz1's point is that if it is a gun you trust your life to, it doesn't make sense to run it dirty all the time when you can run it clean.

People can hate Glocks all day long but when it comes to the 19 and 17 you will have a hard time finding a more reliable gun. As for the 1911 crowd, yes they are an awesome gun but it is a love and art to get them to run right. I would not want to spend $800 on a gun to dump $2k into it so i can say it is a reliable gun. Owning a 1911 is like owning a Jaguar...high frickin' maintenance...

i agree 100% except for the 1911 - SOME can be high maint, but NOT S&W's. My S&W has never let me down either. it's just heavy to wear on the hip all day long... (i know, i'm a wuss) [laugh]
G19? Are you kidding? Absolutely...

Grip angle nonsense is just that - sorry wolf, didn't even notice... Just pulled up to the plates and started making music... [laugh]

.... when shooting my NON-Glocks with Mass Triggers,

"first two in the dirt" [rofl][laugh]

[wink]

I was considering a used Glock, but opted for the M&P compact. New gun with 4 magazines (2 from rebate) for $489 ( you know where) vs a used 19 or 26 with 1 mag for $600 and $700. To be honest if I lived in another state I probably would have bought a new Glock 19, but I am happy with the M&P.

Lots of folks have said Glocks are reliable and that they trust them with their lives! LEO's trust them.

I had an 19 long time ago and they USE to be low $. Glocks and their hi cap mags are affordable in every other state except for this one.

I haven't read the whole thread, but my answer to...

Just an intellectual curiosity - I notice the for sale board is peppered with glocks for sale, more so than any other handgun brand.

Why do you think this is?

...is the great success of the M&P guns, including LEO changeovers.

I haven't read the whole thread, but my answer to...

...is the great success of the M&P guns, including LEO changeovers.

Not just M&Ps outside of MA... but yes, in MA, I would say that this is a huge reason. A few years ago, your only choice for readily available polymer-framed pistols were the Glock models - now the M&P is available, so used Glocks don't dominate the market as much.

Glocks and their hi cap mags are affordable in every other state except for this one.

However, pre-ban high cap Glock mags are much more common than pre-ban Sig, H&K, etc. mags are, so there's a few more fish in the sea when you go looking for mags.

Sell over 7 million handguns and you are bound to have a large secondary market

This, and the fact that the secondary market in MA is way more lucrative.....take a look at the resale of an a comparable pistol like the M&P on here and a Glock and you'll have your answer. People want stuff they supposedly can't get. Having high cap mag availability just helps the case as well.

3 words. Because they work.

I think you see a lot of Glocks for sale in Mass because there is money to be made. You can buy a glock new in CT for high 5's, use it for years, and if you were to move to Mass, you could sell it for hundreds more than you paid for it due to the Mass AG.

as far as the m&p goes who wants to own a full size gun with only a 10 round mag when you can buy a 17 and have 17 round mags not to mention you can take a glock apart in about 5 seconds try that with your m&P

as far as the m&p goes who wants to own a full size gun with only a 10 round mag when you can buy a 17 and have 17 round mags not to mention you can take a glock apart in about 5 seconds try that with your m&P

My M&Ps don't feel like I'm holding a brick, and I can't recall every reading an article on an M&P negligent discharge or expolosion.

I've see glock come apart a lot faster than that.

and have seen the jam up just as much as other guns

My M&Ps don't feel like I'm holding a brick, and I can't recall every reading an article on an M&P negligent discharge or expolosion.

So you're going to tell me that nobody's ever had an ND with an M+P? [rofl] That somehow its design magically causes those who have NDs with handguns to stop being idiots? [laugh]

KBs... I'm sure someone's blown one up. The M+P is is too new to really have a history in that regard, although I'm sure it will probably, overall, be a lower rate than a Glock, or the KBs might be less spectacular but still gun-disabling.

-Mike

as far as the m&p goes who wants to own a full size gun with only a 10 round mag

I have to agree with this. I'd really like an HK P30L or an SA XDm but it'd be a shame to put 10 round mags in it (if any are even available).

So you're going to tell me that nobody's ever had an ND with an M+P? [rofl] That somehow its design magically causes those who have NDs with handguns to stop being idiots? [laugh]

-Mike

No...I'm telling you there are far fewer of them, which in part, is why I haven't come across an article on one. There are far fewer of them, because the trigger sensititivity on an M&P is nowhere near as skittish as that of the Glocks.

The tendency of Glock 40s, in particular, to blow up is well known. I don't doubt some reloader's ability to blow up an M&P, but as you say, it will happen less often than with a Glock.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom