Who's right?

Ok so my dad thinks that he can get a brand new glock transfered to him from Florida from his brother (who is also an LEO), now from my understanding, only pre-98 glocks can be had in MA, and if you were to transfer a new one it has to be with another person in MA. Am i misunderstanding something or what?

LEO's in Mass who acquire new Glocks through their departments can indeed sell them to the public. There's no law that prohibits ownership of new Glocks. The law only prohibits retail stores from selling them. But you are free to buy any that you can find in-state.

But I don't think an out of state LEO can ship one into Mass. He has no special privileges in that respect that I'm aware of.

Post your question in the Mass. Laws forum.

Last edited:
Ok so my dad thinks that he can get a brand new glock transfered to him from Florida from his brother (who is also an LEO), now from my understanding, only pre-98 glocks can be had in MA, and if you were to transfer a new one it has to be with another person in MA. Am i misunderstanding something or what?

That's an illegal person to person interstate transfer. Illegal. Period.

Don't bother moving it to the Mass law forum; it's federal law. The only way that he can legally get the gun would be through an FFL holder in Massachusetts. The Florida dealer can't ship it directly to him. A interstate handgun transfer has to go through an FFL in the purchaser's state of residence, not the seller's. If it were a long gun it could go through a Florida dealer, but he would have to travel to Florida to make the purchase.

Ken

upon re-reading my original post i found it was very confusing, let me try to clarify it.
ok my dads brother can get new glocks for cheap from a dealer he knows because he is a leo in florida, my dad wants to purchase one and then have it transfered to an ffl here in ma, and from my understanding of ma/fed laws this cannot be done, right?

upon re-reading my original post i found it was very confusing, let me try to clarify it.
ok my dads brother can get new glocks for cheap from a dealer he knows because he is a leo in florida, my dad wants to purchase one and then have it transfered to an ffl here in ma, and from my understanding of ma/fed laws this cannot be done, right?

Right

Yes, this can be done. There's nothing in either state or federal law that prohibits an FFL (or an unlicensed individual) in one state from transferring a handgun to an FFL in another. The important question is whether the Massachusetts FFL can legally transfer the handgun to your father. There's also the question as to whether the "cheap" price your uncle can get in Florida is still a good deal once shipping and dealer transfer fees are added to it.

Ken

The gun would also have to be neutered by the removal of any "large capacity" magazines before delivery to a MA resident (other than a LEO for duty use).

This is probably just another case of my ignorance, but you guys just raised a possibilty I never heard of.

You're discussing the distinction between a Mass FFL selling a new Glock vs. transferring a new Glock, right? I didn't realize the current law distinguished between the two.

So it's possibly legal to have a friend purchase a new Glock in another state and then transfer it to me in Mass via an FFL, as long as it comes with a Mass compliant (10 rounds or less) magazine?

Again, maybe I just don't understand, but this seems hardly different than me just mail ordering a new Glock and having it transferred to me via a local Mass. FFL, which is illegal AFAIK.

Last edited:
You're discussing the distinction between a Mass FFL selling a new Glock vs. transferring a new Glock, right? I didn't realize the current law distinguished between the two.

No, there is no difference. They were just discussing that it's perfectly legal for someone out of state to send a non-compliant gun to a MA FFL, but it's illegal for that FFL to then transfer it to a MA resident. Scrivener was just then pointing out that if the gun actually was MA compliant, the FFL would further not be able to sell it to a MA resident if it had a post-pan large capacity mag with it.

Back
Top Bottom