Which self-defense ammo.....

Looking for some carry ammo for my 9mm Shield. Got some Zombie Max at 4S because it's all they had. I haven't shot it yet, but from what I've read on here I should probably look at another brand. If anyone has some extra they'd sell PM me!

Remington golden saber 124+P. Why? Because I can. Now, I don't buy it often. I'm not paranoid enough to switch out my carry ammo every 6month or so. Ammo usualy won't go bad if stored properly. There's WW2 ammo out there that still works fine. It's a pistol cartridge, not an egg salad sandwich, for chrissakes.

on the self-defense theme. Can any .223 round be used for self defense/close quarters. I am thinking of indoor/ multiroom domiciles. I would like a round with high expansion and low penetration.

is this possible?

on the self-defense theme. Can any .223 round be used for self defense/close quarters. I am thinking of indoor/ multiroom domiciles. I would like a round with high expansion and low penetration.

is this possible?

5.56 mm Duty Loads - M4Carbine.net Forums

Any round that meets the required 12-18" penetration spec is going to punch through multiple layers of drywall, doesn't matter if its 00 buckshot, pistol, or rifle ammo. Physics is a bitch and you can't get something for nothing.

is this possible?

Yes. Varmint ammunition has explosive expansion. In one side of a coyote, and not out the other.

Winchester has a PDX1 load in .223 that's specifically designed for personal defense in an AR platform. 60 grain.

Yes. Varmint ammunition has explosive expansion. In one side of a coyote, and not out the other.

Winchester has a PDX1 load in .223 that's specifically designed for personal defense in an AR platform. 60 grain.

It will make a very shallow wound... messy, but shallow. Underpenetration is something I'm not necessarily looking for in a defensive round.

i use Speer gold dot 135 gr. short barrel...in .38 special

I bought the Speer gold dots short barrel in .357 and hated them. Did the research and found out they were as watered down to less than a .38+p! What's the frigign point in ccw a .357 and not loading it with .357. I tested out the gold dots and yes they went through the gun like butter.....very little recoil.....but I'm a big guy and can handle the smack of full power magunums.....so I ditched those and went with golden sabre in .357 mag.....mutch better....actually feel like I'm shooting a magnum......can take the smack and get on target very well.

Hornady Critical Duty here. Used to carry Hydra-Shok because it was.... well, cheap and readily available. Not I put people down through intermediate barriers like it's my JOB!

I bought the Speer gold dots short barrel in .357 and hated them. Did the research and found out they were as watered down to less than a .38+p!

You must have done some shitty research, when I used to carry the SB .357s I found that they chronoed over 1000 FPS out of my SW640. Not many .38 SPL loads are going to do that out of a 2" revolver. They were very, very accurate too. IMO they are an excellent .357 mag snub load, real .357s are a tad faster but you're basically just adding fire and recoil more than a lot of muzzle velocity.

I don't even have a .357 snub anymore but I've saved a box or two of those in my stash for when the time comes again, they were that good.

-Mike

Speer GDHP 124 gr +P (even the std pressure is good, too)
Winchester Ranger RA9TA 127gr +P+
Fed HST 124 gr +P (or std pressure)

Those would be my top 3 picks. (not necessarily in order, either) There are others that work well, too, but these have always tested very well.

As a general rule I stay away from anything I can't purchase in an "LE Style" box of 50. That's more of a principle thing than anything else.... I just don't like getting ripped off. The little shitty 20 round boxes of defense ammo are usually big ****ing cash cows for distributors and ammo companies. They screw the gun shops that buy them and then the gun shops have to pass on this screwing to the consumer. [sad2]

-Mike

Mike, are you still able to find 50 packs?

Back
Top Bottom