• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which rifle for .22 Short?

richc

NES Member
Our club has an a very old style carnival shooting game. A member bought it and restored it years ago. Requires .22 short.

Just wondering what y'all would recommend for a decent .22 short rifle that's not a single shot?

Thanks

Rich

Im gonna add another vote for pump gun. Considering its a carnival "gallery" style target setup......a pump seems perfectly fitting.

I just picked up a Henry .22 pump in the recent group buy. It was kind of on a whim actually. I previously had no experience with pump .22's or any Henry products. Its awesome and really fun. I like it a lot. It feeds .22LR and shorts and it runs great. Ive got 300+ rnds through it already with about 80 of those being shorts. It holds over 20 shorts in the tube, which is pretty awesome. The CCI CB shorts are pretty damn quiet too. I tested without hearing protection and Id almost say they're hearing safe, but cant say for sure long term. Ive definitely used nail guns that were harder on my ears though.

One thing I noticed on the used market is a lot of the classic .22 lever and pump guns (like marlins and winchesters) have really inflated collector value now. The henry isnt cheap at $430-ish but unless you come across a good deal you may pay more for those classic guns anyway.

Find an old JC Higgins (Sears) model 33 pump or similar. Shoots shorts, longs and long rifle. Relying on a short to operate a semi auto can be spotty.

I have a 24 inch 39a and I can fit a shit ton of shorts in it. Something like 25 target shorts.... Its very quiet too.

I have both an antique Winchester 62 pump 22 (shoots S/L/LR) and also a Rossi rifle of that same model; these hold a lot of .22 short in their tube mags, and is close to the authentic 'gallery gun'. I have my eye on an antique 1906 winchester with a shorter barrel also. I don't like to buy these sight unseen though, because some have 'sticky' actions, while the ones I have have very nice smooth actions.

The Henry pump rifle is maybe the best modern option, as nobody seems to make the exact reproductions of the Winchester 62 anymore.

As does mine. Worn in well. Silk smooth.
This kind of shooting begs for a lever action.

Lever would work, but tradtionally, all the amusement parks and carnivals had the pumps.

I've got a Winchester model 250 thats still pretty tight actioned and the barrel is threaded for a suppressor. Its going to be my special naughty critter gun when I get a can papered.

I had forgotten if my pump (Ranger whatever - all purple frame) does .22shorts. They are a pain to get so I don't shoot em much. A fun gun to shoot no matter what, tho.

Good luck, OP.

Browning BL-22. Amazingly short throw of the lever, and accurate as the day is long.
Yeah I have one of those too, the short throw makes it about as quick as a pump rifle and doesn't require taking the sights off target. The factory sights are kind of hard to see, especially with lower light. I got a Skinner aperture rear sight which makes it faster to line up the target.

I had forgotten if my pump (Ranger whatever - all purple frame) does .22shorts. They are a pain to get so I don't shoot em much. A fun gun to shoot no matter what, tho.

Good luck, OP.

.22 shorts are one of my “must have on hand” rounds. At least a handful. They are the poor man’s suppressor.

.22 shorts are one of my “must have on hand” rounds. At least a handful. They are the poor man’s suppressor.

Yup, shorts and CB caps, I keep them on hand too. The shorts are fun to shoot in my revolver just sitting out back and enjoying a cool evening. The cb caps are almost silent in a long barreled rifle.:D

So I know it says shorts.... but if u could use cci quiet lr that would open the door to a lot more guns. I want to say the cci quiet is the same feet per second and bullet weight as a lot of the shorts.

If I am wrong I am sure someone will be along shortly :)

I keep a couple boxes of shorts on hand too. I keep a Ruger single 10 with me when hunting squirrel in mass zones 1-9 (where handguns and rifles are allowed on squirrel). If I wound one the 22 short puts em down without having to tear em up more with another hit from the shotgun .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom