• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which Primer Pocket Reamer

Artie

NES Member
I have been using a Lyman primer pocket reamer chucked in a drill to remove the military crimps in 223. I have done over 1000 cases and this bit is getting dull. Looks like all the reamers are only tool steel, not carbide. For $9, its paid for itself but wondering if people have had better luck with any of the others. I have also used a countersink bit but sometimes can get carried away with removing too much brass. Not interested in swaging as most say they have to ream after swaging anyway. Thanks
picture

RCBS Military Crimp Remover

picture

Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer

picture

Lyman Primer Pocket Reamer

I have been using a Lyman primer pocket reamer chucked in a drill to remove the military crimps in 223. I have done over 1000 cases and this bit is getting dull. Looks like all the reamers are only tool steel, not carbide. For $9, its paid for itself but wondering if people have had better luck with any of the others. I have also used a countersink bit but sometimes can get carried away with removing too much brass. Not interested in swaging as most say they have to ream after swaging anyway. Thanks
picture

RCBS Military Crimp Remover

picture

Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer

picture

Lyman Primer Pocket Reamer
Pictures didn’t load.

I have the Lyman prep station . I don't bother with the pocket reamer. I just use the inside chamfer tool. I'm well past 1000 rounds and it cuts well.
I also have a handheld hornady chamfer tool that's done many thousands and still very sharp.

Back
Top Bottom