• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Small/Large Pistol Primer Price

Hi all,

Friend of mine gave me a Lee progressive press for 45 acp. What is considered a non-ass rapish price for small/Large pistol primers?

Last edited:
Hi all,

Friend of mine gave me a Lee progressive press for 45 acp. What is considered a non-ass rapish price for small/Large pistol primers?

I am a bit confused, .45 acp is most commonly loaded using large pistol primers and I have only seen the old Win Clean ammo use a small primer for .45 acp.

I am a bit confused, .45 acp is most commonly loaded using large pistol primers and I have only seen the old Win Clean ammo use a small primer for .45 acp.

$ 80.00 per 1K is a steal right now.

Most the time it's running $100 plus per 1K

You're probably going to hear "anything more than 2¢ is rape". In today's market, you will probably be paying something like 8-9¢, and small vs large shouldn't make much difference in price, but will affect availability.

EDIT: @BONESTOCK beat me to the reply. Also, keep in mind that on-line dealers will likely charge both a shipping and hazmat fee. So an advertised $85/1000 will be closer to $110/1000. It isn't uncommon to see primers advertised on-line for $120 - $160/1000 not including the shipping/hazmat! I hate to say it, but if you can find primers at less than 10¢ per (all in), you might want to do some stocking, even at those terrible prices. It's always possible that prices will come down, but folks have been predicting that for 3 years now, and the market has settled around the 9¢ mark. Given inflation and demand, it's also possible the prices will continue to rise to new rape levels...

Last edited:
Blazer and some Federals are now small primer pockets. I’d say it’s about 90/10 large primer to small primer at the range.

Just over 7 cents shipped for CCI SPP is the current “best price”.
LPP are 9-10 cents

You're probably going to hear "anything more than 2¢ is rape". In today's market, you will probably be paying something like 8-9¢, and small vs large shouldn't make much difference in price, but will affect availability.

EDIT: @BONESTOCK beat me to the reply. Also, keep in mind that on-line dealers will likely charge both a shipping and hazmat fee. So an advertised $85/1000 will be closer to $110/1000. It isn't uncommon to see primers advertised on-line for $120 - $160/1000 not including the shipping/hazmat! I hate to say it, but if you can find primers at less than 10¢ per (all in), you might want to do some stocking, even at those terrible prices. It's always possible that prices will come down, but folks have been predicting that for 3 years now, and the market has settled around the 9¢ mark. Given inflation and demand, it's also possible the prices will continue to rise to new rape levels...
I’ve seen pre- primed brass online. The big difference is they don’t charge hazmat fees for the pre-primed brass. Doesn’t make a ton of sense.

45 acp brass comes in both large and small which I find to be a pain in the ass but if you haven't started collecting it yet, go with small. Small primer brass is more common lately and small primers are cheaper and easier to find than large.

45 acp brass comes in both large and small which I find to be a pain in the ass but if you haven't started collecting it yet, go with small. Small primer brass is more common lately and small primers are cheaper and easier to find than large.
You can also use small rifle primers if desired or necessary with the small primed brass.

I used small rifle primers exclusively for many years. Didn't even have any small pistol primers.

I’ve seen pre- primed brass online. The big difference is they don’t charge hazmat fees for the pre-primed brass. Doesn’t make a ton of sense.

It does make sense, and there's been extensive research and testing with packaging and transportation to arrive at that conclusion.

There's no hazmat fees with pre primed brass because there's almost 0 hazard involved in shipping them.

Companies have been shipping bulk, loose packed loaded ammo in a plastic bags in cardboard boxes, or loose in ammo cans forever. It's ORM-D (other regulated materials class D ) on the hazards scale......same as a bottle of rubbing alcohol, a can of hair spray or spraypaint, or many other commonly used household items, even some cosmetics and medications.

Primers involve a hazmat fee because of the nature of the product (its potential for detonation en mass) and it not being inserted into a brass casing which lessens its hazard exponentially to almost zero.

Actually, I can see the logic ... with just primers, you have a very high density of power, so there is more likelihood of a bulk explosion. With primed brass, every primer has its own little blast chamber where the gases can cool to safer levels and not set off a chain reaction. The way the ship primers these days, however, seems like a chain reaction is already a very remote event.

Actually, I can see the logic ... with just primers, you have a very high density of power, so there is more likelihood of a bulk explosion. With primed brass, every primer has its own little blast chamber where the gases can cool to safer levels and not set off a chain reaction. The way the ship primers these days, however, seems like a chain reaction is already a very remote event.
Yes, that's because the packaging has been designed and tested to arrive at minimal hazard, but there is still some potential, especially if involved in a fire.

Back
Top Bottom