Which air pistol?

Hello all.

My Dad wants an air pistol, and I could use some help. He wants something decent for chipmunks, but, of course, not overly expensive. The idea of CO2 is compelling, but they start to peter out after a handfull of shots, and also get pricey. He has arthritis, but is leaning towards a pump model anyhow. The other thing is that this one also takes BB's, which is always nice. I am wondering how the ones with an external pump do. Anyhow, this one gets 600 fps, and is what he is currently considering. Anyone know if this is a good choice, or have any better suggestions?

Thanks.

1377 Classic - .177 Caliber
[C-1377C]

1377 Classic - .177 Caliber
This air pistol is one of the most powerful pistols on the market today. It Smokes shooting at 600 fps!

I shoot a < 500 fps Hämmerli which will put five shots into the size of one pellet at ten yards, but I wouldn't think even a perfect shot from a 177 pellet pistol would consistently kill a small critter. Pellet gun manufacturers use very light alloy pellets to get those high velocity claims. Light pellets lose steam quickly.

Pellet Guns for Pest Killing & Small Game Hunting

A pellet gun has many uses, from fun to serious. When it comes to the more serious uses, pellet guns are favored by homeowners, gardeners, and farmers to eliminate pesky varmint trouble. They project killing force at short to medium ranges. It makes this type of air gun a good choice for eradicating troublesome critters in and around the yard or farm, as well as hunting small game.

Here are some popular pellet guns and BB Guns for hunting small game or eliminating pests from your property. While you can get the job done with a .177 caliber rifle if it is capable of producing velocities in excess of 900 ft/sec, we highly recommend one of the .22 caliber air guns. You will usually lose some muzzle velocity when you step up from .177 to .22 caliber rifles, but the .22 pellets are heftier and provide a significantly bigger wallop, ensuring a cleaner kill.

>> Please be careful when choosing an air rifle for pest killing or small game hunting. You do not want to leave an animal (even a pest) merely injured and in pain. Using .22 caliber pellet guns that produce high muzzle velocity (800 ft/sec or higher) will result in a clean kill virtually every time, as long as your aim is true and you are shooting from within the manufacturer's recommended distance range.

Maybe this-
http://www.airgundepot.com/browning-800-mag-177-air-pistol.html

or this-
http://www.airgundepot.com/rws-5gmag-air-pistol.html

I'd get a rifle for shooting chipmunks, but if it must be a handgun, check out Pyramyd Air. They have a great selection of air soft, bb and pellet guns and green gas guns. They also usually have free shipping and free pellet offers.Don't shoot steel bb's out of rifled barrels. If you must shoot bb's, shoot lead ones.

I'd go with one of the RWS pistols from this site. The IZH-48 would be a really nice one to get for plinking and target use, but it's a bit more expensive and not has powerful.

I was gonna stay out of this but have to make a couple of comments. For the $50 or so that the OP's father wants to spend he'll get his money's worth with that gun. But, he will tire from pumping it and may not like the accuracy so much even though it ain't that bad.

That said, if he wants some nice easy shooting from a quality "rifle" that will do chipmunks his best bet is a nice light, easy cocking, and very accurate one built by Weihrauch. They build the famous Beeman air rifles. You can buy the Weihrauch models a bit cheaper. You will be very satisfied. Order some JSB Exact 8.4 grain, .177 pellets too. Trust me. These are great pellets for this gun.

Go to the following link and check out the HW30S and the HW50S. Personally I'd get the 50S for a little more power but the 30S will just blow chipmunks away. Link here http://www.straightshooters.com/navagationpages/rifleslightpowerselections.html

Edit:Those RWS pistols mentioned above are powerful air pistols. The thing is that they use a spring-piston power plant and are difficult to shoot accurately without mucho practice. Lotta kick to them.

Last edited:
I have a Tech Force Model 97 (I think) .22 air rifle he can try any time he likes. It is powerful and accurate. The thing is, he wants a pistol, because he is in a wheelchair, and the logistics might be better for his intended use of this. I may bring the airgun over tomorrow anyhow, just for kicks, and see if he likes it. They have come out with a newer one I might like better anyhow.

I bought my son a Crossman 1377 a few years ago and it works great for chipmunks/squirels. $60. 600fps.
http://www.amazon.com/Crosman-Guns-...B9A0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248554729&sr=8-1

Edit: I see now thats the one you have been looking at. Yes, its good. Buy one.

Here is a picture of my sons first tree rat with his using an optional butt stock. Now that I look at this, it was quite a few years ago. He still has it and it still works good.

Last edited:
I bought my son a Crossman 1377 a few years ago and it works great for chipmunks/squirels. $60. 600fps.
http://www.amazon.com/Crosman-Guns-...B9A0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248554729&sr=8-1

Edit: I see now thats the one you have been looking at. Yes, its good. Buy one.

Here is a picture of my sons first tree rat with his using an optional butt stock. Now that I look at this, it was quite a few years ago. He still has it and it still works good.

Yep. Gotta remember that the POI changes with the number of pumps though.

Sounds like that is the one then. The trouble is, moving around with a rifle in a wheelchair is clunky. Thanks everyone for your input.

I got a refurbished Daisy 853 air rifle (single pump) for $85 from the CMP while at perry. Yesterday, while in Maine at my sisters house, I took down 4 squirrels, 3 of which were one shot/headshot kills.

Its advertised as 480fps.

http://www.thecmp.org/airrifles.htm

The cmp is selling new ones for $212. A CO2 version is $257.

ETA: I completely forgot to mention that I use a compressed air Hammerli 480 and once shot a squirrel at 30 feet offhand. New the gun costs about $800-1000. Daisy sells a single pump pneumatic that is not as accurate but has the same stopping power and sells for less than $300.

Last edited:
I have a Crossman 2240, co2 pistol that was about $60 new.
It is surprisingly accurate and gets over 35 shot before the power drops noticeably.
I shoot it at 20' in my basement.
It is a single shot bolt action and is very easy to load.
The seals don't seem to leak even if I leave a cylinder in it for months.
2240_pistol_zm.jpg

Jack

Pyramyd air has a Browning 800 magnum .177 cal single shot pistol for about $150. The velocity is rated at 800 fps. They have several pistols in the 600 fps range. Check them out. Try the JSB Predator pellets. They're fast and accurate.

Back
Top Bottom