• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which agency turned in all these G17 Gen2 Glocks?

Makes sense a G23 is the most 90s Glock

Actually it's the most Millennial of Glocks. I think there was still a lot of interest in the 19/26 platform in the 90's. But by 2000, it was Fo-Tee-Fo-Me! At least that is what I remember. I could be all wet.

Actually it's the most Millennial of Glocks. I think there was still a lot of interest in the 19/26 platform in the 90's. But by 2000, it was Fo-Tee-Fo-Me! At least that is what I remember. I could be all wet.

I was too young to remember.... I just know .40 started to take off in the late 90s and the USP helped alot

Danged youngster!

At one time I think I had 5 40cal Glocks. LOL. Still have some. It was a strange time. I shot a course with Bank (banks?) Miller from the DEA when he was at Sig 12-15 years ago. He shot 9mm. Now, his normal load was ball ammo, but he felt more rounds (NH range, not neutered MA) were vital. He was very much against the grain of the average shooter there.

Today, I bet courses at Sig are 90% 9mm and 40cal is an outlier. How things change.

I agree it is unlikely that a barrel will be shot out, but without the benefit of confirmation of rounds, it wouldn't hurt to potentially replace the barrel out of an abundance of caution if the intent is to carry as your daily driver. Even if it has 200k rounds through it (extreme example), it will still fire and be safe, but may be out of spec for best accuracy. And considering they can be had for as low as $50., it isn't going to exactly break the bank for that piece of mind.

When Aim was selling these 6 or 7 years ago, all the cheapskates jumped on them and some rationalized they saved $200 compared to a new gun. The target market for these aren't going to spend real money to upgrade a 25 year old gun. The used OEM barrel is probably better than some new aftermarket Korean barrel.

Back many moons ago, there was this small shop in the midwest - Mark's Guns or something like that - who did police trade-ins. Back in the day when 40cal Glocks were going for list+25% in Mass, I was getting used 40's for $250-350. I think I picked up a G22 for $250 and a G27 for $350. I kept looking at what they were selling for at FS and was dumbfounded that this guy STILL had guns to sell. A year or so later, they had dried up. He did sell used riot guns for quite a while. He was a good guy.

When Aim was selling these 6 or 7 years ago, all the cheapskates jumped on them and some rationalized they saved $200 compared to a new gun. The target market for these aren't going to spend real money to upgrade a 25 year old gun. The used OEM barrel is probably better than some new aftermarket Korean barrel.

That makes sense. Didn't realize how much of a fire sale these were set at for pricing. Still though, without the benefit of knowing round count or ammo type, isn't it just an assumption the used barrels are automatically better than even a cheap new one? I mean, a new Glock OEM barrel will easily beat out a cheap aftermarket in quality, but who knows what and how many rounds were shot through these. Just look at Lucky Gunner's 10k steel ammo testing to see what even 10k rounds can do to rifling.

I agree it is unlikely that a barrel will be shot out, but without the benefit of confirmation of rounds, it wouldn't hurt to potentially replace the barrel out of an abundance of caution if the intent is to carry as your daily driver. Even if it has 200k rounds through it (extreme example), it will still fire and be safe, but may be out of spec for best accuracy. And considering they can be had for as low as $50., it isn't going to exactly break the bank for that piece of mind.

A $50 aftermarket barrel? No thanks. I don't want that garbage anywhere near a carry gun. I want the barrel it came with. And if it was actually worn out, then the whole gun is probably worn out. When you think about the numbers required to get a modern Glock, Sig, HK, etc, to wear out a barrel (given other maintenance like springs etc) the numbers required to cause the pistol to fail (eg, not worth refurbing) end up being something like $10,000 or more worth of ammunition poured down the pipe. It's not even worth worrying about it.

-Mike

A $50 aftermarket barrel? No thanks. I don't want that garbage anywhere near a carry gun. I want the barrel it came with. And if it was actually worn out, then the whole gun is probably worn out. When you think about the numbers required to get a modern Glock, Sig, HK, etc, to wear out a barrel (given other maintenance like springs etc) the numbers required to cause the pistol to fail (eg, not worth refurbing) end up being something like $10,000 or more worth of ammunition poured down the pipe. It's not even worth worrying about it.

-Mike

It sounds like you're not the target audience to begin with though.

Back
Top Bottom