Where's the "How can we be part of the solution?" Megathread?

StevieP

NES Member
There've been crapload of other threads lamenting potential AWBs, and generally bitching about new Gun Control mandates. Where's the thread offering alternative solutions to the gun grabbers?

I think our general direction in the upcoming months ought to be something along the lines of "What can we do to set American Gun Law in stone, and leave it alone, in perpetuity, never to be argued again?"

Let's get it RIGHT, in an arrangement that works for everyone.

Limiting the guns themselves is stupid. No ban has ever done anything. It's inarguable. Any "assault weapons ban" should be vigorously argued as a direct infringement of 2A Rights. Period. End of sentence.

Soooo. What else *is* on the table?

What can we do that doesn't restrict in any way the access and availability to whatever firearms we could want or need, but that would show that responsible gun owners want be part of the solution and not continually be seen as purveyors of problems for other people?

In my opinion, about the only thing we can reasonably expect to ask (as in, it's REALLY not too much to ASK) is that, as a responsible gun owner, you *should*:

1) Take a firearms safety class and learn and obey our own responsible gun owners' self-imposed set of rules, i.e.:
All guns are always loaded.
Never point a gun at anything you are unwilling to destroy.
Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
Know your target.
Keep your gun at the minimum level of readiness.

Many states that don’t require licenses really do have a lot of unsafe operators out there. This is something we can do to be “self-policing” and show the greater population that we’re not just a bunch of dumb rednecks with guns. (We’ll be trained rednecks with guns?)

2) If there are children in the home of any lawful gun owner -- as soon as they're of the right age, they should take the Eddie Eagle training (stop, don't touch, get away, call an adult, etc.). How many of your kids know what to do if they see a gun? Are you sure?

3) Observe safe storage laws, in particular if you have children and/or mental defectives among the list of people who might reasonably have access to your firearms. (e.g. a 20-year old kid who's just found out his momma is gonna put him away and that she loves the school more than she loves him and he's gonna show them all!!) But I digress. Net-net -- If Ms. Lanza's guns were in a safe with a combination lock, other than when they were under her direct control, she'd probably be alive today.

I actually do think, in the 21st Century, we really need to make some concessions to modernity -- that modern sporting rifles really ARE easy to use to kill a lot of people quickly. In good hands that's not a problem, because the operator has a moral compass and won’t do it. In the wrong hands, obviously, it is a problem for a lot of other people who may not necessarily agree with our views on guns. Keeping our guns out of the hands of undesirables shouldn’t be hard.

There should be two types of guns:
1) Those in your direct control, and
2) Those that are secure (definition up for discussion)

To be honest, I have had a somewhat lackadaisical habit of leaving my gun on the table, or nightstand, or even once on the back of the toilet, and walked away. Nobody got hurt. Nobody was in the house but me and my wife and adult sons. But I know in the past I've even left the house and left guns un-locked too. Nothing happened! They didn't get up and shoot anyone when I wasn't there. But I recognize this is potentially problematic if there was a break-in, and over the past months have tried to make a concerted effort to be better about it. Obviously anyone who broke into my house and stole my guns would be a thief, but I shouldn’t make his job easy.

4) Background checks for licensing. I don't know what to say about this. I live in MA. I got checked. It didn't kill me. It doesn't do a thing to prevent crime but it calms the sheeple to know that at least the licensed gun buyers are not criminals. They still have to worry about the unlicensed ones though.

What else ya got? How *can* we be part of the solution, while at the same time giving up nothing?

Anyone taking bets on what the NRA will say in their News Conference on Friday? In their announcement they hinted on offering to help solve the problem. I'm somehow thinking their gambit will be something along the lines of "Remove every gun law ever written" or something like that. “Nobody should need a license to exercise a Constitutional Right!”

That'd be cool. Aim high, I guess.

Last edited:
As I said, I would support required NICS checks for private sales in states that don't have licensing. Flame on. That is something I could get behind. It may only stop 1.5% or something but that's 1.5%, and it has no ill-effects on the law abiding whatsoever, other than 5 minutes of your time.

At Umass the umass gun club offers free safety courses and basic shooting instruction (by certified instructors), and we offer the actual paperwork for said course at a discount. I am going to make an effort to reach out to and educate faculty.

Mike

As I said, I would support required NICS checks for private sales in states that don't have licensing. Flame on. That is something I could get behind. It may only stop 1.5% or something but that's 1.5%, and it has no ill-effects on the law abiding whatsoever, other than 5 minutes of your time.

At Umass the umass gun club offers free safety courses and basic shooting instruction (by certified instructors), and we offer the actual paperwork for said course at a discount. I am going to make an effort to reach out to and educate faculty.

Mike

At least you acknowledge the flaming is coming, so I'll spare you mine.

The system as it current exists is burdensome enough. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to get an conumer level FFL for transport and receiving purposes and skipping NICS checks and redundant paperwork. Doesn't look like that is going to be on the table anytime soon... so if we're playing along with placebo legislation...

Mental health legislation. I liked Attorney Nappen's interview as posted elsewhere here. There could stand to be more fluid and consistent ways to be added to a PP list for mental issues.

Storage laws: Live with a nut or a PP, your problem.. lock them up, or your bedroom door if its a nightstand gun. Common sense anyway, but people like laws for some reason.

Last edited:

Mike

The problem is the NICS checks wouldn't have picked up the last three guys I remember.

The kid in CT basically killed his mother and stole the weapons. He would have never passed a NICS check anyway - and she must have because she was in CT and had the weapons.

That Cho guy in VA a while back - passed the NICS checks.

I don't remember exactly - but I think the Batman shooter in Colorado got all of his guns legally also.

So what would having a NICS check that private sales have to do - have done for any of that?

I think the most chilling thing of all that I have seen is this from the article in the Wikpedia about the Port Arthur massacre in Australia:

Professor Paul Mullen, a forensic psychiatrist with extensive involvement following the string of massacres in Australia and New Zealand, attributes both the Port Arthur Massacre and some of the earlier massacres to the copycat effect.[22] In this theory the saturation media coverage provides both instruction and perverse incentives for dysfunctional individuals to imitate previous crimes. In Tasmania, a coroner found that a report on the current affairs programme A Current Affair, a few months earlier had guided one suicide, and may have helped create the expectation of a massacre.[23][24][25] The coverage of the Dunblane massacre, in particular the attention on the perpetrator, is thought to have provided the trigger for Bryant to act.[26]

If you look at the positively ghoulish coverage in the tabloids (NY Daily News, NY Post), it is like they are having an orgasm over this, and promoting the pathetic creep who did it to hyper rock-star status.

I think the issue of "contagious" massacres via lavish press coverage is a serious issue. Suicide is known to be contagious [1] , and it is likely these crimes are also, yet the press acts like they have no responsibility, while wailing about "how could this happen".

A solution would start with calls for restricting the 1st ammendment in these cases. No, scratch that, that would be infringing a constitutional right. Well then, a boycott of the newspapers who are flogging this like it's entertainment.
That is where I would start. Except I never read the NY Daily News under normal circumstances, just looking at it makes me feel filthy.

[1] http://www.nytimes.com/1983/03/06/us/micronesia-s-male-suicide-rate-defies-solution.html

Last edited:
There is NO WAY to stop everything, and I am talking about guns in general, not these specific cases. The only thing that will make schools safer is armed teachers/security/students(in the case of college)... it will probably stop a few stop a few (not spree killers, but probably some thugs) and I can't find a downside to it. At least open NICS up for public use when initiating a sale. That is the extent of what I think gun laws should be. NICS check.

You'll never stop crazy, the country just needs to accept that.

Mike

Last edited:
There is NO WAY to stop everything... but it might stop a few and I can't find a downside to it.

Mike

There's ALWAYS a downside to legislation. When you can't think of what it might be beforehand, it's called unintended consequences.

As long as the government can keep up there end and keep the NICS system running in an expedient manner (maybe even setup a frequent buyer program for bypass) I don't see this as an issue. I would gladly trade any existing gun law for this.

Mike

How about you all mind your own effing business and let me do what I'd like with my firearms and my family? Keep your laws to yourself, thanks.

And that is a perfectly understandable response. In a world without a**h***s who rob, rape, invade homes and 7/11's and murder schoolkids.

Guns are not the problem but they undeniably DO contribute to, and enable other societal problems. We cannot eliminate all of those, but we should at least acknowledge that with rights come responsibilities and we want to set good examples to retain and expand those rights. Status quo sucks. I spend ten times more time defending my right than I do exercising it. If you don't have anything positive to offer this thread please just stfu and accept what ends up getting rammed up your ass when they get what they want.

Newtown changed our world.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
And that is a perfectly understandable response. In a world without a**h***s who rob, rape, invade homes and 7/11's and murder schoolkids.

Guns are not the problem but they undeniably DO contribute to, and enable other societal problems. We cannot eliminate all of those, but we should at least acknowledge that with rights come responsibilities and we want to set good examples to retain and expand those rights. Status quo sucks. I spend ten times more time defending my right than I do exercising it. If you don't have anything positive to offer this thread please just stfu and accept what ends up getting rammed up your ass when they get what they want.

No.

Sent from my mobile device.

My rights should not require retention or expansion. They do not come from the government, they are mine and mine alone.

Anyone who thinks we need to "give a little to get a little" in regards to Constitutional rights can go eat a bag of dicks.

WTF.. listen to yourself. Guns raise the steaks for existing societal problems, in a good way. Turds are going to think twice about stealing a few hundred dollar TV if he has a reasonable fear of getting his head blown off.

I originally thought this thread was about placebo legislation... re-wording existing laws as a stop-gap. Apparently its just an out-yourself.

I think the most chilling thing of all that I have seen is this from the article in the Wikpedia about the Port Arthur massacre in Australia:

If you look at the positively ghoulish coverage in the tabloids (NY Daily News, NY Post), it is like they are having an orgasm over this, and promoting the pathetic creep who did it to hyper rock-star status.

I think the issue of "contagious" massacres via lavish press coverage is a serious issue. Suicide is known to be contagious [1] , and it is likely these crimes are also, yet the press acts like they have no responsibility, while wailing about "how could this happen".

A solution would start with calls for restricting the 1st ammendment in these cases. No, scratch that, that would be infringing a constitutional right. Well then, a boycott of the newspapers who are flogging this like it's entertainment.
That is where I would start. Except I never read the NY Daily News under normal circumstances, just looking at it makes me feel filthy.

[1] http://www.nytimes.com/1983/03/06/us/micronesia-s-male-suicide-rate-defies-solution.html

I don't know what the hell I was thinking. Read the Times link, then blacked out and all of a sudden a gun control op-ed was up. I read the comments section. Full retard.

so if we're playing along with placebo legislation...

Mental health legislation. I liked Attorney Nappen's interview as posted elsewhere here. There could stand to be more fluid and consistent ways to be added to a PP list for mental issues.

Let's discuss this, please. What's hippa?

How about you all mind your own effing business and let me do what I'd like with my firearms and my family? Keep your laws to yourself, thanks.

This
My guns or a million and or other gun owners didn't kill anyone
We followed the laws no matter how ludicrous they were
We didn't allow a broken and deranged lunitic access to our firearms
We didn't miss diagnose his apptitude for violence
We had nothing to do with what happened here anymore than we did with:
Timothy Mcvey blowing up federal buildings
Terrorist flying planes into building
The Colorado shooting
Or any other F_ing catastrophy human beings have been known to commit in history

By the way, we are not part of the effing problem!

Last edited:

I've got a better idea. Why don't YOU stfu and stop bending over in hopes that the pounding you'll take will allow you to keep a few rights. I'm so sick of idiots who have no problem giving away my rights.

What's the difference between Newtown and any other shooting? How does it change our world?

Let's discuss this, please. What's hippa?

Without googling, I believe the PPA portion is Patient Privacy Act. Basically, no one but you and your health care providers have right to your patient data. However, there are already exclusions and reporting requirements for dangerous behavior (aurora would have been prevented had his shrink done her job, instead it sat shelved). I might be convinced that those exclusions could be expanded and harsher penalties for failing to report. Also, potentially a requirement to have a second set of eyes WITHIN a practice review for reportable activity.

My suggestions aside, legislation is ALWAYS bad.

I'm so sick of idiots who have no problem giving away my rights.

Did I do that? I don't want any of us to give up anything. Of bigger concern is having them taken or infringed upon without our consent.

Something's gonna happen. It won't be nothing this time. Please help us all attain something bearable

I think encouraging (Not legislating or forcing) firearm safety education in public schools would be a good thing.

I know I would've given anything to have been doing that in PE instead of any one of the mindless games we did.

The scant few times we got to do archery were like a gift from the gods.

Back
Top Bottom