Where to take Concealed Carry and The Laws type fo course?

Hey all,

Do you have any suggestions around Central MA to take a course on all the legalities of concealed carry and defense in general? All the sites I have checked look to have about the same descriptions but wanted to get recommendations of people who have first hand experience with the courses.

Thanks.

Thanks M1911, the second site you gave me looks very comprehensive and what I was looking for, but it does not seem to be in Massachusetts. Am I missing something on there? I already took the basic course you linked also and have all that under my belt. It's the legal things that I want to focus on and learn before I actually go to carry concealed to make sure I have as much information as I can get for any decision I may have to make down the road.

Last edited:
In that case, then you want to take Mas Ayoob's course listed above. I took the class back when he called it LFI-1, and was teaching out of NH. No one covers the material in as much depth as he does, and he's the only trainer that I know of who has testified as an expert witness in self defense cases. Ayoob won't teach you the details of self defense law in your state, but he will teach the basics of self defense law in general, and the practicalities of what to do (and not do) before, during, and after a deadly force incident. Ayoob is very entertaining and profane (if that bothers you).

I've taken courses at shooting academies where I preferred some of their shooting techniques over Ayoob's, but none of them addressed the legal issues in as much depth as he does. Ayoob teaches a decent grounding in defensive shooting, but I think Randy Cain is bit better.

I applaud you for searching out this type of training prior to carrying. I did the same.

I don't always agree with everything Ayoob has said or written, but in general I think he makes a lot of sense.

You are correct that he is not in MA, so you would have to travel. Traveling to Florida for a few days in mid-winter might not be a bad thing [wink]

A closer (taught in MA) and cheaper alternative would be a course given by AWARE: http://aware.org/courses/rulf.shtml

Most of the instructors at AWARE have taken Ayoob's old LFI-1 and LFI-2 classes, but none of them have his courtroom experience as an expert witness.

Last edited:
The Art of Concealed Carry given by GOAL is also excellent. When I took it, Darius covered some of the legal issues, but I have no idea who is teaching it with Jon Green these days. It wasn't an in depth course on legal issues.

Stay tuned: I am putting together material to create a seminar that will cover a lot of the MA specific issues, rumors, mis-information spewed by many, and include the gray areas where the legal answers are unclear. Realistically I don't think this will be ready for prime-time until after the first of the year.

Ayoob's class is tops!

You will also find a great deal of the info you are seeking in my book, Armed Response, and my Responsible Use of Lethal Force DVD. I also have seminars;

- Responsible Use of Lethal Force
- Defense in the Home
- Concealed Carry, Defense on the street

Details on all at masscarry.com

You can find previews of the DVDs at armedresponsetraining.com

For those of you unfamiliar with Lisa Steele, she is an appellate attorney who has worked on self-defense cases in MA and CT.

Back
Top Bottom