Where to buy K98?

TomatoBytes

NES Member
Hello NES, just getting into the old military surplus rifles and got interested in finding a K98. I know there are many versions and price points for those different versions, but I'm hoping to find an RC K98 as they seem to be on the cheaper side. Main question is, are there are good places in Massachusetts that might have them? I know they've been becoming more rare every year, but I've tried looking online at many different MA dealers and still haven't found any reasonable ones. Any advice for researching or looking for a K98 would be much appreciated. Thanks!

You'll be incredibly lucky to find one local. I haven't seen one in 10 years. I have several collector grade ones in the WTS forum. Post a WTB. You can get one off GunBoards for under $650 if your patient.

T

The only ones I've seen in shops are sporterized. I think B&K in Natick had one last year that wasn't, but I only saw it in their online inventory. I gave up finding one in person, even though I went cash in hand to a few shops. Pack and Postal would be my guess, but I've never been there.

I've been on a WWI kick lately research-wise and would almost rather have a WWI piece (Gew98). Won't be possible for a long time though.

I ended up getting my head turned by a Lee-Enfield and used the Mauser funds on it instead.

Thanks for all replies. Would it be safe to say that the best way is to look on GunBroker and ship it to a local gun dealer?

Be sure to have someone knowledgeable check it out before you buy. You are not allowed to post live auctions, but you can PM members for their opinions. Hard to go wrong with a RC, it stay away from a Mitchell Mauser.

I'd be happy to help; I've been collecting Mauser's since '95.

T

Be sure to have someone knowledgeable check it out before you buy. You are not allowed to post live auctions, but you can PM members for their opinions. Hard to go wrong with a RC, it stay away from a Mitchell Mauser.

T

This guy is hands down the person to know regarding K98's. He connected me with someone selling his R/C for $500 a couple months ago. I wanted a shooter and it fit the bill perfectly. Even came with a refinished stick which is nice since I wasn't looking for a period correct K98 anyways.

Thanks for all replies. Would it be safe to say that the best way is to look on GunBroker and ship it to a local gun dealer?

"best way", that's questionable. But there are deals on there. Always best to hold it yourself and visually inspect it.

You'll be incredibly lucky to find one local. I haven't seen one in 10 years. I have several collector grade ones in the WTS forum. Post a WTB. You can get one off GunBoards for under $650 if your patient.

T

OP, as someone who's enjoyed shooting and owning Kar 98's for years and years (including the K98's that my grandpa and my wife's grandpa picked up off the battlefield in Europe), I highly, highly recommend you talk to Majspud about one of his rifles.

That is actually the best way to acquire one.

Last edited:

T

Great! Thanks for the help. I'll definitely let you know if I spot something or have more questions.

T

theres really nothing wrong with Mitchells Mausers other than the fraud behind them. If you can get them at the right price they are generally very good shooters.

i love my mitchells mauser .. its looks amazing , and for 550$ shipped .. it was mine, the bore is great . the finish looks great. and they make a good collectible . maybe not to historically untouched rifles, but as something that the entire shop i sent to all said "That is the best mauser that has ever come into this shop" it helps to have something pretty to look at.

majspud helped me get mine of a gunboard forum.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?849906-WTS-Mitchell-K-98

i love my mitchells mauser .. its looks amazing , and for 550$ shipped .. it was mine, the bore is great . the finish looks great. and they make a good collectible . maybe not to historically untouched rifles, but as something that the entire shop i sent to all said "That is the best mauser that has ever come into this shop" it helps to have something pretty to look at.

majspud helped me get mine of a gunboard forum.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?849906-WTS-Mitchell-K-98

exactly they are generally very nice especially thier "collectors grade" problem is they are not "originals" BUT honestly some of the ones i have seen are very very nice just not "collectable" in the true meaning of collecting originals.
The Key to buying Mitchells rifles is knowing they are refurbed, polished, reproduction stamps and many other things they did to them.
I passed on a awesome looking M48 by Mitchells....I mean it looked 100% brand new along with the best bore i have yet to see on a mauser .
Know what you are buying and if your happy to part with your money for it then its all good.

Just a side note: I have two shooters i know with Mitchell mosin snipers. both are pristine and both shoot extremly well. Although built up on the wrong "period correct" receivers they are very nice reproductions. Both of these guys bought knowing they where not original.

Last edited:
you won't go wrong with buying a M.Mauser though.. when i went looking . i decided to say no to yugo made mauser. reason is their receivers are slightly shorter overall so if you need replacement bolts, and such , regular k98's will not work in them, and secondly i did not like the wood all around the top of the receiver. so i ended up with a BYF obendorff which i do plan to blue the bolt just to get it a little less shiny . though its fun to look at one day . for now the harder part is finding 8mm mauser.

Liberty Tree Collectors has some Israeli modded K98's in .308 for short money....You'll need to order through an FFL but these are great shooters...

you won't go wrong with buying a M.Mauser though.. when i went looking . i decided to say no to yugo made mauser. reason is their receivers are slightly shorter overall so if you need replacement bolts, and such , regular k98's will not work in them, and secondly i did not like the wood all around the top of the receiver. so i ended up with a BYF obendorff which i do plan to blue the bolt just to get it a little less shiny . though its fun to look at one day . for now the harder part is finding 8mm mauser.

dicks sporting goods usually has 8mm this time of year preparing for hunting season. The Yugo(new production) tin cans are out there also

Liberty Tree Collectors has some Israeli modded K98's in .308 for short money....You'll need to order through an FFL but these are great shooters...

looks like they only have one left....man short money yikes. I passed on these a few years ago because they looked very rough and they where really short money then. I missed the cheap vz24 and Yugo 48s from the old wideners days.

Back
Top Bottom