Where to buy dried beans in bulk

Bob J

NES Member
Would like to put some away in long term storage..... Would appreciate any recommendations for places that offer bulk buys for a reasonable price....[wink]

LDS cannery in Worcester or in #10 cans from their website. There is a thread around here somewhere with more details.

It’s relatively a long drive for you, but if you are buying a lot, it might be worth the time and fuel. They sell 25lb bags at reasonable prices. Best yet, their beans taste great. I love all of them, but pinto is slightly my favorite. It tastes fresh and meaty. When you boil it, it smells like beef broth.

How much cheaper are you hoping to get? 1lb bags of beans at Market Basket are about $1 each. I bought some in bulk from Emergency Essentials so that I wouldn't have to do the mylar bag and O2 absorber thing, but you can probably be more frugal than what I did.

How much cheaper are you hoping to get? 1lb bags of beans at Market Basket are about $1 each. I bought some in bulk from Emergency Essentials so that I wouldn't have to do the mylar bag and O2 absorber thing, but you can probably be more frugal than what I did.

The cheaper the better really. The mylar bag and O2 absorber route is exactly the path we're taking. [smile] Stack-able 5 gallon buckets can be tucked away pretty nicely. Found 100lb bags of rice for about $45 which work really nicely but would like to diversify a bit.

I hope the $45 per 100 lb of rice is something good, like Jasmin rice (my favorite white rice). Otherwise, that's high for your generic cheap stuff. I packed my rice in buckets myself, but I got lazy with the beans and ordered them already packed for storage.

I hope the $45 per 100 lb of rice is something good, like Jasmin rice (my favorite white rice). Otherwise, that's high for your generic cheap stuff. I packed my rice in buckets myself, but I got lazy with the beans and ordered them already packed for storage.

Best prices I could find locally, where do you buy yours? The LDS link is selling it for roughly a $1 a pound before shipping.

Last edited:
I've always bought rice at BJ's, although I haven't checked the prices in a while. I hope the cheap generic "long grain white rice" stuff isn't as much as Jasmine rice was a couple of years ago. I last bought at 46 cents a pound, and I think the cheap stuff was well under 20 cents at the time.

Next time I'm at BJ's I'll check and let you guys know the current spot prices. I know inflation has done crazy things recently to food prices and I've seen old threads from around 2000 talking about .20/lb rice but I haven't yet found any updated prices near that. Even if it may seem comparatively expensive, I think a years worth of food supply for under $100 is still a nice option. I hope the Obama administration isn't listening to this or we'll end up on the watch list. [tinfoil]

ETA: Either way, we have plenty of rice. Mostly looking for dried beans right now.

Last edited:
Beans and rice are a terrific way to get a large amount of long term storage food, for a low price. It is hard to beat, even if the prices aren't the cheapest possible. I can, and have for years, eat lots of rice every day without discomfort. Beans, however, take some getting used to. On many occasions, I've on purposely eaten a large meal of rice and beans once a day for a week (plus other non-bean foods)... I did okay but its a bit unpleasant.

But, still way better than messing with wheat berries.

Best prices I could find locally, where do you buy yours? The LDS link is selling it for roughly a $1 a pound before shipping.

That is because it’s in cans. Their 25lb bag is $13. Keep in mind that white rice is just a filler with very little nutritional value. If used properly, 100lb is a 3-4 year supply for 1 adult male.

I may have to order from LDS the prices really aren't that bad. I'll probably go pick them up I'm only about 20 minutes from worcester

Last edited:
If you know someone that owns a restaurant you can ask them to buy some for you. I did that and, although I can’t recall the price, it wasn’t too expensive. But heck, even WalMart sells beans for somewhere around $1 per pound. And I’d rather pay a little more and have them on hand when need then to save a few bucks and not have them when needed.

If you know someone that owns a restaurant you can ask them to buy some for you. I did that and, although I can’t recall the price, it wasn’t too expensive. But heck, even WalMart sells beans for somewhere around $1 per pound. And I’d rather pay a little more and have them on hand when need then to save a few bucks and not have them when needed.
Or try heading to your local produce supplier. We buy 20-pound cases and I believe the price is about $.42 per pound. A friend of mine owns a Spanish restaurant... he purchases 100-pound bags and ballparks the price at around $20.00. The only issue is that you'll need to pick through to make sure there are no stones... but you should be doing that with the grocery store stuff, anyways.

Noticed you're from Quincy. Check with Polcaris on Salem St. in Boston (north end). He's a great guy. The store is a throwback to the 1940's with prices to match.

I just updated the LDS cannery thread. I called earlier today. It's not open to the public.

I have a strong feeling you were misinformed. Whomever you spoke with probably had no idea and simply guessed to look knowledgeable. These are extremely friendly people and there is no id check at the door. It’s not like they have a member card or tattoo on the forehead. [wink] There lots of LDS houses of worship in the area and only one cannery. There is no way to tell if you are a member or not unless they ask, and people there are would not belittle themselves with such obnoxious questions. There is a short prayer in the morning. It lasts about 5 min. If you uncomfortable with that, just go later in the day – 10am or 11am. Keep in mind that they are only open 2 days per week.

Back
Top Bottom