Where to begin?

Start simple.

What do I need to survive a "Blizzard of '78" scenario? Work out what you and yours needs to be able to make it through a week of no electricity in the winter where just getting out might be impossible.

Build from there. Keep it practical. No need to go building a 3 year grain storage facility if you can't keep the house heated when the power is out.

Make some plans. Do you have a meeting place outside the house in case everyone needs to get out fast? Do you have a way to contact help if a tree yanks all the lines down? If you suddenly discover the water is not running, what can you do? What kind of cooking is possible if the utilities are gone? etc. Pretty dumb to build a stockpile of dehydrated foods and then discover that when the electricity is out, so is your water.

Survival isn't how much 'stuff' you have, but how to carry on when the comforts most of us take for granted are gone. 'Stuff' can make the job easier, but planning, knowledge, and skill makes far more of a difference. A roll of plastic in the hands of a person who has never had to build anything in their life is practically useless. That same roll in the hands of someone who understands the uses is invaluable.

I see you are in Florida. I would think a Hurricane disaster might be a high priority. Two situations to consider. 1) loss of home and 2) home OK, but nothing works and the water is contaminated. Water is very important. Consider storing some gallon jugs. Do you have a tent? If so, consider building a sturdy storage area for it that might survive a hurricane and stick it and the rest of the camping gear in it so that if the house is made uninhabitable, you can crack open the storage bin and set up camp.

Play the "What if" games. Start with the most likely events and as you create plans, then move into the less likely.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Start simple.

What do I need to survive a "Blizzard of '78" scenario? Work out what you and yours needs to be able to make it through a week of no electricity in the winter where just getting out might be impossible.

Skald is located in Florida...

[grin]

Beans, bullets, and band-aids! :)
Well, let's break it down a bit:

What are you preparing for?
What is your goal?
What is your budget?
What is your storage capacity?

Great post here. You have to choose your priorities, and write them down. Then go from there.

For instance, I prioritized for a "Bug In" situation, and am ready to care for myself, my wife and daughter, and my mother and cousin who rent the other two apartments in this house from me. We're ready for a month of living with the "basics" being met comfortably; water, food, toiletries, sanitation/feminine needs, basic medical, and Express Delivery Lead Packets.

The limiting factor in my situation is storage for toiletries; put simply, shit tickets take up a lot of room that I don't really have. That's why we're only prepared for a month. Food, water, medical are further out than that, but I only really consider myself "fully stocked" for that one month "Bug In."

Also to be considered is what sort of event you're planning for. Nuclear strike? Not inconceivable - Boston is on the target list, as well as NYC (obviously) and Albany I'm sure. If there were a strike on Albany, I doubt we'd make it (I'm in sight of the NY state line here) but either of the other two would be survivable for my family, so that's worth thinking about; how to be ready for a fallout situation and "entrenchment" on my own property. An extended power outage is worth preparing for, as is the above mentioned '78 disaster. Pandemic is worthy of consideration.. Lots of stuff to be skeertd of. [wink]

I am in the unfortunate situation of starting from scratch and was trying to figure out what to do first and how.

You've already begun.
Just deciding to do a little prep'in is a HUGE start.

the 3 P's
Plan -start a small plan firedrill,budget, bug-out,water,whatever

Preps-start stocking up a little,foods,fuel,ammo (alittle here& there)

Practice-Once you think you got something together,have a no power weekend(the kid's love it) find out what you overlooked & save on utility bills (not advisable in Feb.In New England).Camping,excersise etc.

Well, living in Jax I don't see much in terms of Hurricanes BUT I may end up moving further south to be closer to good dive spots (SCUBA has been a godsend for my arthritis and spend less days in pain and also still have access to good jobs).

Thanks for all your help, and I have been doing the little by little bit. I need to pick up a few things of Ramen and throw in some dog food. I was thinking of just getting a couple of tupperware containers to store the dog food in and every month or so just rotate the 'bug out' stash without constantly using up food saver bags.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom