Where do we start

kiver

NES Member
My wife would really like to get into competitive shooting (handgun) but has no idea where to start. Hell, I might want to get in on the fun. We have done a bunch of searches, but really want to get in on an entry level.
Thanks

If she wants to learn with women, get in touch with me at [email protected]. We do informal USPSA practices at BGRA in Boston on some Saturdays. Our matches are the 2nd Sunday of the month, February and March. The matches are full but you guys are welcome to come and watch and see what it's all about. Harvard Sportsman club has a regular practice during the week. I don't know the time and day though.

what kind of competitive shooting do you want to do? USPSA IDPA Bullseye?

Silly question but what is the differences. We are a hop skip and jump away from Smith and wesson and I know they do competitions there. Thank you Kimmie for the offer, but she works on Saturdays and Boston is a bit of a ride for us every other week

Harvard's USPSA practice is Wednesday from around 5 PM to 7 PM. It's a great place to get started. It's a perfect place for new shooters to start because it is very low-stress. Practices are in the indoor range for the winter, but once spring rolls around we'll be back outside in the action pits.

Silly question but what is the differences. We are a hop skip and jump away from Smith and wesson and I know they do competitions there. Thank you Kimmie for the offer, but she works on Saturdays and Boston is a bit of a ride for us every other week

If you are that close to S&W, and interested in IDPA, go to one of the S&W league matches and ask. They are a great group and will help you out.

SCHEDULE LINK

I would not go to the Indoor Nationals for info but the public area is usually open for spectators and a very good chance to watch.

If USPSA strikes your fancy then Hopkinton Sportsmans will be running a 2 day Intro class Second weekend in March. I took the class last year and came away hooked, managed to shoot in a dozen matches since. It's short money considering you get two days of classroom and range time that covers everything from the all important safety rules to the best ways to approach certain courses of fire. We also run open practices on Weds nights starting around 5:30, all are welcome regardless of experience level and everything will be explained if you've never shot USPSA before.

I believe Harvard is running a similar class for IDPA coming up, there's a thread about it down in the Pistol Competition forum somewhere....

Bostonbullit, you left out the best part! Coffee and doughnuts each morning and lunch included both days! [grin]

We will be @ the Marlboro show advertising this class or you can contact me or Rob Boudrie here directly. The class is aimed at people who already know how to handle a handgun safely. All you need is a safe/serviceable handgun 9mm or larger, ammo, a holster that safely retains it, 3-4 magazines or speed-loaders, (2 will work, more is always better) and a belt pouch/s for the mags/SL. We provide you with all of the knowledge to feel confident to participate in your first USPSA/IPSC match. (or even IDPA, most of the safety rules are the same)

There's a bull's-eye league that meets Thursday nights at Ludlow F&G. They are always looking for new shooters on their teams, as the level of handicapping is significant. Then, the next season, they get recognition for "Most Improved" for the same shooter!

For a beginner's introduction to action shooting, I highly recommend the Sunday morning pin & plate shoots at Chicopee Sportsmans Club in Granby. Walt and his wife run the shoots, and they are very helpful to beginners. They also use a handicap system that makes it fun for all.

If you decide to attend the pin & plate shoots, let me know... we might join you and your wife!

thank you everyone...any way we can get a sticky on the different competitions..ie supermotos videos??

RichM ...I'll be in touch soon

Thank you everyone

Back
Top Bottom