where do most of your bulk shopping?

I am looking into stocking up long term. Just wondering what everyone does...ie BJ vs Costco vs Walmart or some where else. I am thinking this week I will get 2 year supplies of basic stuff (tp, toothpaste, stuff like that).
I am thinking of purchasing whole grain sealed on line.
Any thoughts, hints, suggestions?

I use Sams for lots of things.. just keep in mind if they don't have a generic brand (Sam's Club or Member's Mark) brand for what you are stocking up on, it is sometimes cheaper to buy a bunch of a generic brand (toothpaste comes to mind here).

Aldi's is great for canned goods, etc.

As far as bulk grain, oddly enough about the cheapest (after shipping) I have found is local grocery stores.. but I don't know of any other good local sources on that one (farms, etc).

Some of my friends use lots of the bulk protein powder, so I have them save their containers for me. The large ones will fit around 12lbs of lentils, barley, etc. Add an O2 absorbing packet or some dry ice and you are set for the long term. For larger storage plastic buckets are the way to go, just remember to kill off any vermin. I have gotten plastic stuff from USP with good results.

we used to go to BJ's & WalMart in Salem, NH. with 5 kids it seemed the thing to do....BUT...the wife has joined a coupon club, she gets the Sunday Globe each week...matches the coupons to what's on the club list..then usually buys at Shaw's.
In the past 5 weeks, since she started this, our grocery bill has gone from $235/wk to $160 !! And we have way more food than previously bought. The trick with the "list" is to buy at the rock bottom price, things you normally need, so you always have a stockpile.

I have to build shelves downstairs to store everything!

Costco, BJs and Sam's Club...they each carry different items and we've gotten all kinds of stuff from each club over the years.

what grocery stores do you find whole grain red winter wheat at ?

Whole Foods was about the only one that has it and several other grains.. and unfortunately they are about the best price I have found if you factor in shipping. I have been meaning to ask them about the cost of bringing in a bucket or something similar.

Anyone know of a better place, such as a co-op, farm, etc?

Belchertown Coop is listed elsewhere on this forum. We recently sent Mary an order for 600#s of both hard red & white and oat groats. I'm not sure how often they order -- I think we just hit at the right time.

I once Googled for local LDS canneries. I recollect there is one out near Worcester. However, I never did call to find out accessibility for the general public. I would have called, except at about the same time, I heard/read that due to legal concerns, the Church didn't want non-members near/using the canning equipment. Again -- I don't know this info for fact.

That all being said, the online LDS store (ldscatalog.com) has VERY reasonable prices on bags, 02 absorbers and if you are interested, a limited selection of #10 cans of rice, wheat and beans. Shipping is free.

If you're at Walmart, check the canned beans section. I recently found a 2+lb can of red kidney beans (Hanover), with an exp. date of 2012, for $1.30/can. It was my find for the day and several cans went home with us that day.

-ed

Back
Top Bottom