Where can I NOT carry in ME?

I just looked through the book the local PD gave me when I applied for my permit (you can download one here --->http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/CFP%20Booklet.pdf). I just scanned through it but it looks like it only mentions carrying in an establishment licensed for on premises liquor consumption. It also mentions having a CCW is not a defense. I am most definitely not a lawyer...

Under Maine law.... you cannot carry in courthouses and schools and their grounds (elementary, middle, high school). You can carry on college level campuses. There is no law against it. But if you are a student, it is against school policy and you can get expelled. But if you are a visitor it is not against the law. Other than that you are all set.

Under Fed law Post offices. I am not sure about Fed lands or airports.

As usual... my advice it worth what it cost you.

for the law on CCW:
http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/Statutes/25/title25sec2003.html

for a serachable Maine Law sight:

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/Statutes/search.htm

I will be getting my non res premit. Where can I NOT carry in Maine as a non-res permit holder?

Thanks

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that the sate has allowed both Portland and Lewsiton to restrict CCW in places that serve alcohol if a sign is posted in the entry. You will not find those in the state law... because they are local laws.

Bars if you are not on duty as a private investigator and the establishment has posted a sign banning entry while carrying.'

I forgot to mention that the sate has allowed both Portland and Lewsiton to restrict CCW in places that serve alcohol if a sign is posted in the entry. You will not find those in the state law... because they are local laws.

Yes, you will find this in state law - 17-A M.R.S.A s1057 to be precise. It's covered in the little book you get with your application packet.

Last edited:
Schools, Courthouses, Post Offices, Public University Campuses, Bars that are POSTED if not you may approach .O8 BAC (NOT RECOMMENDED) Jails, State Parks, Secure airline terminals, State parks as promulgated to Bureau of Public Lands by statute...

Also: Maine prohibits the possession of any firearm in the "Capitol Area," which includes any state-controlled locations (whether owned, leased, or used by the state) within the city limits of Augusta, Maine. 16-219-041 Me. Code R. § 2(F).

Last edited:
It is perfectly legal to carry on Public University Campuses. It is against University poilicy but it is not against the law. If you are a student, the U can discipline you according to the policy. If you are a member of the public, then you will be asked to leave or be cited for tresspassing.

State Parks are an open question. There are certainly some state park folks who think it is against their rules. I have talked to some state park folks who think it is not against their rules. The rule they cite, IMHO, concerns only carrying loaded firearms while hunting in areas of the state park where hunting is not allowed. I continue to CCW in state parks and if I get "caught" I will love to fight it in court. On state lands that are not state parks, such as Maine Public Reserve Lands, it is legal to CCW with a permit.

MaineCWPTraining and I have discused these points here and there are points in which we are not in agreement.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61727

I have cited all the legal stuff that I could find. I suggest you do your own research.

Schools, Courthouses, Post Offices, Public University Campuses, Bars that are POSTED if not you may approach .O8 BAC (NOT RECOMMENDED) Jails, State Parks, Secure airline terminals, State parks as promulgated to Bureau of Public Lands by statute...

Also: Maine prohibits the possession of any firearm in the "Capitol Area," which includes any state-controlled locations (whether owned, leased, or used by the state) within the city limits of Augusta, Maine. 16-219-041 Me. Code R. § 2(F).

Back
Top Bottom