• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where can I learn to shoot trap?

I have a single-shot 20 gauge that I would like to learn with. I have heard that various clubs have trap shooting sessions periodically. Are there any that are specifically designed for instruction of newbies? Thanks in advance.

Might help to tell us where you live, or at least the general area.

I to would like to learn. I belong to danvers fish and game and I was told to head down tue mornings. its a little busy down there and i kind of feel like a dweeb because I never done it before in that kind of a setting.

I plan on buying a Remington classic trap they tell me thats a good start at my dealer.

any other info I need to know?

To the OP, and fish on:

Please define "Learn"

[laugh]

If you're looking for the basics, pretty much any club that has Trap will have people that can show you the ropes.

At Southbourough, we get a fair number of new shooters, and have several people that are quite good at showing a new shooter the basics.

I say, "I can teach you 80% of what you need to know - the rest you have to figure out yourself." This is because much of Trap is very personal, like a pair of boots - different makers' boots in a given size will fit differently. Stance, gun position, etc., etc. are very personal, and can only be learned through trial and error.

Newengland shooter - if you have a 20, shoot what you got. You put yourself at a 20% disadvantage in terms of pellet count, but if you have a 20, start there.

Fish on: Try before you buy. Would you buy a vehicle without ever sitting inside it? Don't buy a Trap gun, until you find one that fits. The only way to do that is to shoot a few. Most clubs with Trap have Trapezoids that are willing to loan out their toys. Personally, I've been doing it long enough to know whether a gun will work for me, based on it's fit and feel. But it took a good number of "lost" birds to get there! [laugh] This is NOT to slam the Remmy - it's just better to see what feels right for you. As for feeling like a dweeb....chill out! Everyone was new at one time. If a club is not shooting Registered birds, they'll likely be very welcoming - most Trapezoids are eager to get more people to Drink the Orange Kool-AId. If not, find another Club.

The holiday season is tough.....but we're having a Hangover Blast at SRGC, New Years day, at the Crack of Noon - come on out, and see what it's about.

As for my first comment about "learn" - I'm still at it. [laugh]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom